PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dabo and 'Amateur' Athletics

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dabo and 'Amateur' Athletics

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 02, 2019 9:20 pm

“We try to teach our guys, use football to create the opportunities, take advantage of the platform and the brand and the marketing you have available to you, but as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that’s where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there’s enough entitlement in this world as it is." - Dabo Swinney 2014

10 year $93 million contract - Dabo Swinney 2019

Stories such as these is why I never apologized for the PonyExpress years and never will.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Dabo and 'Amateur' Athletics

Postby leopold » Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 am

You can say whatever you want to about college athletics, but Swinney has earned everything he's gotten. Just read up on his life story.

And as far as the nature of college athletics go, he'd probably agree with you, He walked on at 'bama and helped them earn a national championship, probably worth nine figures to a school even back in the early '90's, and probably earned a flippin' $10,000 scholarship as his reward.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat May 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Next we'll be talking about paying high school players. Highland park's coach makes ~150k. Those kids don't even get free lunch!

These kids get a free degree, virtually unlimited food, housing (or a housing check- $1700+/mo), clothes, medical care, spending money (cost of attendance scholarship) ...hell their whole life is paid for. They ALL get similar compensation to what your average AAF player got.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangsabu » Sun May 05, 2019 1:05 am

No one “earns” 93 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dalpony » Sun May 05, 2019 8:29 am

Mtrout - all the “free” stuff you described, they earn in spades -they virtually work year round- they obviously enjoy it for the most part and they get a wonderful education but they definitely earn it -
dalpony
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am

mtrout wrote:Next we'll be talking about paying high school players. Highland park's coach makes ~150k. Those kids don't even get free lunch!

These kids get a free degree, virtually unlimited food, housing (or a housing check- $1700+/mo), clothes, medical care, spending money (cost of attendance scholarship) ...hell their whole life is paid for. They ALL get similar compensation to what your average AAF player got.
The long term body damage as you ache in your 30's for the rest of your life is never mentioned..
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun May 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Football has it rough I’ll give you that. Most other sports are far less abusive.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Football