PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU picked fourth in AAC West

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU picked fourth in AAC West

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:43 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
82Pony wrote:This is the time of year I always get my hopes too high only to have them dashed in the early part of the season. With the transfers and new recruits coming in I think we have a real chance to make a big improvement over last year. The schedule is tough, but if we can just win that first game, I think we get over the hump and go 3-0 and head to Fort Worth with a real chance. Once the momentum gets rolling who knows? If we loose to Arky St it could be another long season. Just my two cents.

This is a great time of year because we are still undefeated!

Undefeated in 1987 & 1988!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 82Pony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:55 am

Don't forget 1982............and 1923, 26 and 29.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:29 am

For once, I'll keep it short.

SMU was a QB away from winning their last two games and the AAC west last season.

Now we have Shane.

If SMU is still at a 6 win level in Vegas, I'd put all the money on the over.

Last year, Shane would have kept UNT, TCU, and Michigan close, and we would have beaten Cincy, Memphis, and Tulsa. We would have been an 8 win team at minimum. And the team this year is way deeper (except maybe Safety).
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:01 pm

I've been looking for some pony fan silliness
One Trick Pony

Postby dalpony » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 pm

JasonB - when are you going to practice to give us your review - it is always so detailed, informative and interesting
dalpony
Varsity

Postby TidePony » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:33 pm

^^^This, please!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 am

They have tightened things up - I'm hearing that I won't be able to get through the gates on the field this year. So the practice report might not come.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:52 am

" Fake it till you make it "
PonyScott
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:11 am

**Bump**

Right now it appears this SMU team will exceed all the "experts" predictions, although with games against Navy and Tulane still on the schedule, it's possible we could still drop to 4th in the West. Just need to regroup and finish strong...and hopefully figure out a way to defend kicks along the way.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:25 am

Charleston Pony wrote:**Bump**

Right now it appears this SMU team will exceed all the "experts" predictions, although with games against Navy and Tulane still on the schedule, it's possible we could still drop to 4th in the West. Just need to regroup and finish strong...and hopefully figure out a way to defend kicks along the way.

That would certainly take some luster off the season to end up losing 3 out of the last 4 games

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:39 am

With this specials team, we could easily lose the next 3. Losing to ECU and Tulane at home would certainly masked what was a promising season.

Let's see how the team responds. Seeing how Cincy played, I think Memphis rolls them. In my head, this was the AAC championship.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:56 pm

Relax... we are a year ahead of schedule. SB will outperform every QB on the rest of the schedule, and none of the rest of the teams dominate on special teams like Memphis does. Weather and injury are the only equalizers the rest of the way. After watching the game last night, I'm not scared of Navy anymore. We man up on the outside and rotate a ton of DL. We will be fine against them.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 pm

JasonB wrote:Relax... we are a year ahead of schedule. SB will outperform every QB on the rest of the schedule, and none of the rest of the teams dominate on special teams like Memphis does. Weather and injury are the only equalizers the rest of the way. After watching the game last night, I'm not scared of Navy anymore. We man up on the outside and rotate a ton of DL. We will be fine against them.

I'm good trust me. This is a one small step back with at least 4 steps forward. Its very hard in this conference to go undefeated. The only part I'm not relaxed about is how awful special teams were.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Before people think this will be easy but according to FPI, we are predicted to lose to Navy by around the same percentages as Memphis. Navy will have a huge crowd again and is now again a top 25 match up.

Not looking ahead but ECU did scare Cincy but according to FPI we have a 94% chance to beat them. I think the team will be looking to crush them so I have confidence.

Navy will be tough and another team that you cant let get ahead. Thankfully they're not the same crazy level as Memphis with the passing attack.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Agree with Jason, Kane and boys should handle Navy barring horrible weather or injuries. But with a week to prepare, Kane will figure them out. Rice coming of age helps offense. Pass defense and defensive line sacks/pressure must help to take care of ECU and Tulane. I am cautiously optimistic about the next three. I am sorry that Onu chose to transfer. Have a feeling he would have been an asset to what we have back there.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football