PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Worst Home Schedule Ever?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Worst Home Schedule Ever?

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:48 am

Play them both every year to bring back Hayden Fry's "church school championship".
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby VarsityShop » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:56 pm

Does Rice have the same attendance problems we have? Would Rice attract more fans than this series with Arkansas State?
Last edited by VarsityShop on Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VarsityShop
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:20 pm

VarsityShop wrote:Does Rice has the same attendance problems we have? Would Rice attract more fans than this series with Arkansas State?

Rice brought 5 fans
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:38 pm

LaTech and ULL fans would travel.
Rice brings far fewer fans to UH games than Tulsa does.
They’re similar to Tulane but a bit worse.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:42 am

smupony94 wrote:
VarsityShop wrote:Does Rice has the same attendance problems we have? Would Rice attract more fans than this series with Arkansas State?

Rice brought 5 fans
Get out the plastic
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:36 am

If you want to play "regional" G6 teams that might bring a few fans, UTEP always brought more than other SunBelt or FCS schools, although they were actually competitive when we were playing them.
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:30 am

Charleston Pony wrote:If you want to play "regional" G6 teams that might bring a few fans, UTEP always brought more than other SunBelt or FCS schools, although they were actually competitive when we were playing them.
I remember great numbers flying out to UTEP for a game - there were about 8 of us, plus a couple of the player parents so you know...
I will spare you the video

UTEP was definitely one of my favorite places to go for a game though. Like traveling to Mexico without having to go.
One Trick Pony

Postby BaylorHistory » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Oklahoma State would be a good team to try to get in. Cowboys have a large presence in the Metroplex. Would it be worth a 2 for 1 if you couldn't get a straight home/home?
BaylorHistory
Junior Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:51 pm

per the OT of the post...1981 OOC schedule was UTA, NTSU, and Grambling State. Sheesh...

That schedule has to rank right up there...kinda like Alabama's OOC this year...

Win more, play better opponents...rinse and repeat.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:38 pm

BaylorHistory wrote:Oklahoma State would be a good team to try to get in. Cowboys have a large presence in the Metroplex. Would it be worth a 2 for 1 if you couldn't get a straight home/home?

Not fun the last two times we played them.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:33 pm

PonySnob wrote:
BaylorHistory wrote:Oklahoma State would be a good team to try to get in. Cowboys have a large presence in the Metroplex. Would it be worth a 2 for 1 if you couldn't get a straight home/home?

7 TDs by one WR as I recall. Hopefully we would be a little more competitive today.
Charleston Pony

Postby horsemanx » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonySnob wrote:

7 TDs by one WR as I recall. Hopefully we would be a little more competitive today.

Should have injured him after three - or four at the most.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby WordUpBU » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:02 pm

VarsityShop wrote:Does Rice have the same attendance problems we have? Would Rice attract more fans than this series with Arkansas State?

Their living alumni base is 55k. Culturally a significant portion of that care little about football. The portion of that living alumni base that care probably wouldn’t fill Ford Stadium.

By comparison SMU is 100k, TCU is 75k, BU is 140k, Tech 200k.

My money is on Ark State traveling better although I prefer playing rice. Rice is just VERY VERY small to begin with and that number overestimates the amount who actually care.
Last edited by WordUpBU on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby WordUpBU » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
BaylorHistory wrote:Sooooo back to annual home/home with us right? The Mercedes-Benz[REGISTERED SIGN] Dad's Credit Card trophy of Baylor/TCU/SMU 3-way needs to happen. It's like the CIC trophy only better.

Would love to make Baylor and TCU home/home (alternating so we always get one of you at Ford) a permanent part of SMU's schedule

As a BU fan we’ve got less noncon flexibility if we want to play a P5 and ensure 6 home games by grabbing an FCS money game annually so getting SMU game every year isn’t likely although I would enjoy it. 9 league games instead of 8 makes it tougher and I won’t for a second think any SMU alum or admin would accept a 2 for 1 deal from Ut or A&M much less us.

So from a BU perspective I’d love to see SMU frequently rotating in one of our three spots with a rotating P5 too.

Personally getting one of SMU/Rice/Tulane or another good fit non-P5 team on the road, one at home, and syncing our home P5 noncon games to years when we get only 4 home dates in the Big 12 is a great setup for us IMO. Big fan of SMU when we aren’t immediately playing you. Tons of history with SMU/Rice while Tulane is a former SEC name, great private school, and a fun road trip with recruiting upside. Besides it’s an easy road trip too and both have some fun tailgates and combined there’s around 80k BU/SMU alumni in Dallas so plenty of alum overlap.

I really enjoyed playing SMU every year except 2013 (where you guys backed out) from 2012-2016. Needs to happen more and I’m much more intrigued by playing you guys than UH.
Last edited by WordUpBU on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:22 pm

WordUpBU wrote:9 league games instead of 8 makes it tougher

But at least you have a true champion!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football