PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Beats Ohio St. 35-35 in Columbus

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Beats Ohio St. 35-35 in Columbus

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmO78hYnifw

Mike Ford's greatest game overcoming a 35-21 deficit but Eddie Garcia missed a game winning 47 yard FG with :07 left. Ponyte says he was on the field and the FG attempt wasn't that close. I had a different perspective from the far endzone and thought it was going through until it tailed to left of cross-bar. Note that 5 SMU players on the kicking team raised their hands thinking it was going through

Anyway this was one of my favorite SMU teams ever because they were the foundation of the program that took 5 years to turn around. They never went a bowl-never had a winning record and finished only 4-6-1 but without these guys SMU never would have been able to attract the great recruiting classes in the next 2 years. Played 5 teams ranked in Top 14 and was competitive in most

The Foundation:

Lance Pederson
Emmanuel Tolbert
Elton Garrett
D.K. Perry
Derrick Shelton
the Smith brothers
Tweetie Hunt
Robert Fisher
Harvey Armstrong
Byron Hunt
Putt Choate
John Simmons

If you watch I suggest watching 4th Quarter when SMU dominated in crunch time. They almost beat Penn St on the road too. They did beat Florida on the road but their program wasn't as strong at the time. One of the most exciting teams in SMU history regardless of record.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... edule.html
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU Beats Ohio St. 35-35 in Columbus

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 am

Rough crowd as well. Two place we were told, once one leaves the locker room, one had to wear their helmet at all times until one was back in the locker room. Ohio State and Little Rock, Ark. I was stunned to see how far some of those people could throw empty gallon whiskey bottles. Got to witness Woody hit one of his own players before the game.

That was one Hades of a stretch of road games. Florida in Orlando, Pediphile State in University Park and Ohio State in Columbus. After the Florida game, we had to wait several hours in a chater terminal while our plane cleared customs. Pediphile State's closes hotel was a cinder block Holiday Inn some 20 miles away from the stadium. The road was some two lane winding mountain like road. Again, a real pain to get to the stadium. Pediphile State had natural turf and had the grass so high one 's shoes were almost coverd by the grass. One way to slow down our team speed. After the game, as we walked off the field, the entire stadium gave us a standing ovation. Really a special moment.

I would add to the list above Joe Bays, Pete Muse, Robert Barnes MIke Mason,Mike Jusko, Lee Spivey, Gordan McAdams (future Academic All American on the 81' team) and [deleted] Blaylock (My roomate for Ohio State)
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Paladin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:33 am

I was in medical school and listened to the game on radio. My recollection was of the announcer describing the final field goal attempt: "it looks long enough, it looks straight enough, it is...it is ....no good"
Paladin
All-American

Postby mr. pony » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Imagine Ford working out of the shotgun.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football