PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former Pony Express stars excited by SMU's success, but feel

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Former Pony Express stars excited by SMU's success, but

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:47 am

What is the point of a story about these crybabies? Buy a ticket. Enjoy the game. Pony up!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:31 am

mustangxc wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Wow, tough responses. I’m shocked by the vitriol here. Former players deserve better. If Dickerson, James, and Armstrong say there’s a problem, you listen. And you fix it. End of story.

I agree. In the last 40 years how many high profile players have we had?

Eric Dickerson
Craig James
Emmanuel Sanders
Courtland Sutton
...maybe some of our other current NFL players?

Take care of your own. It's not that hard.

get all of them
cole beasley,
thomas morestead
zach line
sterling moore
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby mr. pony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:37 am

Gary Hammond!
Mac White!
:)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby solomouse » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:59 am

You know, there are others that have helped smu in many ways,for example: Johnny Roach,played for Highland Park,then played quarterback for SMU...then about 10 years in the nfl...ending up filling in for Dandy Don with the Cowboys...became Mayor of University Park..quiety helping SMU in many ways,but never mentioned.
solomouse
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 am

Bergermeister wrote:What is the point of a story about these crybabies? Buy a ticket. Enjoy the game. Pony up!

willing to bet my life savings that zero 'big time' programs make their most historic players buy tickets. ever. That's like saying Vince Young has to buy a ticket to go to a Texas game....uh no.
Pony ^

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 am

I'm sure there is more to the story on both sides. The article is a collection of soundbites.

All of that said, when Armstrong requested field passes, I'm sure the response was that field passes are for alumni only. There was one for him, but not his friends. I think it is reasonable for the school to take that position. They just need to explain the policy in greater detail and make sure it is well understood.

Armstrong obviously flew to Florida for the game, new some guys in Tampa, promised to get them on the sideline, and was embarrassed when he couldn't do it. The policy needs to be clear, well advertised, and consistently applied.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 am

ponyte wrote:Most former players are not the marquee guys. I do think we should accommodate marquee players. They look great on TV on the sideline.

I agree we should try to accommodate all SMU greats. However, there are limits. How many former greats at 4 passes a game can the sideline handle? NCAA limits that number.

Over the past 40+ years, SMU has only produced 10 All-Americans. Harvey Armstrong is one of them + he had a 8 year NFL career + he is a member of the SMU HoF, so he definitely checks the 'marquee guys' players box. Most importantly of course is the All-American title.

In the article is says Armstrong got his feelings hurt so he stayed in his hotel instead of going to the game. I seriously doubt Harvey Armstrong would have gotten his feelings hurt and not attended the game in person if he was told it was a stupid NCAA rule that prevented his friends from also being on the field and not in any way an SMU-related snub. This was a road game that was not greatly attended so I doubt there was an issue with the total field passes given that day. If that was indeed the case, it also should have been communicated to him (Sorry, all of our field passes have already been taken).

I would have absolutely given All-American Harvey Armstrong his tickets and THANKED him for his continued support of our program.
SoCal_Pony

Postby WorldStang » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:28 am

Unhappy Alum not getting his way.. Nothing to see here.. move along
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:51 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
ponyte wrote:Most former players are not the marquee guys. I do think we should accommodate marquee players. They look great on TV on the sideline.

I agree we should try to accommodate all SMU greats. However, there are limits. How many former greats at 4 passes a game can the sideline handle? NCAA limits that number.

Over the past 40+ years, SMU has only produced 10 All-Americans. Harvey Armstrong is one of them + he had a 8 year NFL career + he is a member of the SMU HoF, so he definitely checks the 'marquee guys' players box. Most importantly of course is the All-American title.

In the article is says Armstrong got his feelings hurt so he stayed in his hotel instead of going to the game. I seriously doubt Harvey Armstrong would have gotten his feelings hurt and not attended the game in person if he was told it was a stupid NCAA rule that prevented his friends from also being on the field and not in any way an SMU-related snub. This was a road game that was not greatly attended so I doubt there was an issue with the total field passes given that day. If that was indeed the case, it also should have been communicated to him (Sorry, all of our field passes have already been taken).

I would have absolutely given All-American Harvey Armstrong his tickets and THANKED him for his continued support of our program.

+1
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Let's just all agree: we need all of our past players to be invited and treated well. It's important to also get the record breakers to come onto campus and be recognized. I do not see a reason why we can't do this more frequently than every decade or whatever it is. I think it will help reconcile these former players that were at one point shunned. I don't think that's the case now but they might still be getting that bad inkling because they were at one point. It's like leaving a job with a bad manager and then coming back and the manager is gone but you still have bad memories even if that person is gone.

Let's just move forward. Invite current and former players. Get the big names in the NFL today or were and get them front and center at the games and on the sidelines. I think it's a great marketing opportunity and it helps end the stigma that once was there.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:31 pm

im guessing the writer had an angle and carefully edited this story - I have spoken with Dickerson and james and they are both fine with SMU. Don't know the armstrong situation but sounds like we dropped the ball on that one -no need to get crazy on it - it happens. We definitely welcome back our players and do so as well as anyone else does.
gostangs

Postby Junior » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:41 pm

How many home games has Armstrong been to?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby soccermom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Seriously, we should welcome all lettermen back. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed watching the Pony Express, Chuck Hinson, Gary Hammond, Jerry Levias, etc, when I was in school, and before. I don’t think any SMU graduate should call any of these men crybabies, etc. SMU is in Texas so that means football is where it’s at. Thanks to all of our athletes for giving their all for us. I appreciate you.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:07 am

I despise the crybaby comments. Like it or not, former players are in a sense customers, who by definition are always right. You make them happy. Yes, within reason, but you make them happy. If they go public saying that they're not treated right -- reach out and MAKE it right.
ponyboy

Postby AfricanMustang » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:14 am

gostangs wrote:im guessing the writer had an angle and carefully edited this story - I have spoken with Dickerson and james and they are both fine with SMU. Don't know the armstrong situation but sounds like we dropped the ball on that one -no need to get crazy on it - it happens. We definitely welcome back our players and do so as well as anyone else does.

Sam Brum, at the DMN just started covering the SMU Mustangs this season, he has pumped out a lot of very good articles about the team.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football