PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why SMU Deserves a NEw Year's Six Berth

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why SMU Deserves a NEw Year's Six Berth

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:42 pm

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/why-sm ... 1dr1vxgWhy SMU Deserves A New Year's Six Berth If They Finish Undefeatedk1re
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Re: Why SMU Deserves a NEw Year's Six Berth

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Why SMU Deserves A New Year's Six Berth If They Finish Undefeated https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/why-sm ... dr1vxgk1re
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Writer probably not aware that even if this team goes 12-0 in the regular season, there is still a championship game to get past because it's probably going to take 13-0 to be playing in the Cotton Bowl
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Writer probably not aware that even if this team goes 12-0 in the regular season, there is still a championship game to get past because it's probably going to take 13-0 to be playing in the Cotton Bowl

Yeah, we'll have to win the AAC to ever sniff a NY6 bowl unfortunately. That is a very tall order but, hey, that's the goal. I will happily take Hawaii for 2nd place though Alex. (I wish).
ojaipony

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:43 pm

ojaipony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Writer probably not aware that even if this team goes 12-0 in the regular season, there is still a championship game to get past because it's probably going to take 13-0 to be playing in the Cotton Bowl

Yeah, we'll have to win the AAC to ever sniff a NY6 bowl unfortunately. That is a very tall order but, hey, that's the goal. I will happily take Hawaii for 2nd place though Alex. (I wish).

No Hawaii. Brings back too many bad memories of Tiki.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:24 pm

I think SMU could possibly end up in a New Years bowl at 12-1 with a loss to Memphis. Assuming Memphis drops another one and SMU beats a ranked Cinci in the Champ Game.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:I think SMU could possibly end up in a New Years bowl at 12-1 with a loss to Memphis. Assuming Memphis drops another one and SMU beats a ranked Cinci in the Champ Game.

This to me is the most likely outcome though 10-2 (loss to Navy at Navy is surely possible) in which case we are out.

I think, as in the prediction thread, we lose to Memphis. Memphis loses to Cincy in their final regular season game and we beat Cincy in the Championship and get the NY6 bowl assuming APP St. doesn't get it for being undefeated. We all need to be rooting for U South Carolina.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am

SMU doesen't deserve a thing. SMU must earn it.
ponyte

Postby Dukie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:I think SMU could possibly end up in a New Years bowl at 12-1 with a loss to Memphis. Assuming Memphis drops another one and SMU beats a ranked Cinci in the Champ Game.

This to me is the most likely outcome though 10-2 (loss to Navy at Navy is surely possible) in which case we are out.

I think, as in the prediction thread, we lose to Memphis. Memphis loses to Cincy in their final regular season game and we beat Cincy in the Championship and get the NY6 bowl assuming APP St. doesn't get it for being undefeated. We all need to be rooting for U South Carolina.

If we are 12-1 and App State undefeated, they would get it; if App State loses a game, a 1-loss Boise might get it over a 1-loss SMU (not saying they should, but looking at the polls, they could be up there).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:05 am

ponyte wrote:SMU doesen't deserve a thing. SMU must earn it.

Correct!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:03 pm

Dukie wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

If we are 12-1 and App State undefeated, they would get it; if App State loses a game, a 1-loss Boise might get it over a 1-loss SMU (not saying they should, but looking at the polls, they could be up there).

Maybe.... I think it all depends on what the championship game looks like. It's very much the same approach with the big boys getting 1 loss doesn't knock them out of the CFP even when there are undefeated teams. I think losing to Memphis but somehow getting to and winning the conference championship against a ranked Cincy will be more than enough to earn that NY6. APP state has to know that sadly their conference is terrible and their OOC doesn't do enough.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Yeah if we win the conference at 12-1 and App State is undefeated I still believe we go as our SoS and Conference is much better and we should be ranked higher, which is the measuring stick.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm

I do think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. Lots of regular season football to go. And zero patsies.

Beat Memphis
ponyboy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:26 pm

ponyboy wrote:I do think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. Lots of regular season football to go. And zero patsies.

Beat Memphis

I think we should be able to throw ECU in the category of "patsy". They only have 3 wins and they're against FCS and not long ago FCS....

Agree that Navy can't be overlooked nor can Tulane given it's going to be at a defacto neutral site.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:40 pm

1-0 every week or the dream dies
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Next

Return to Football