PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA feeling power slipping away?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA feeling power slipping away?

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:18 pm

My guess is this will ultimately just benefit the P5 and "brand name" schools even more as the biggest "stars" will go where they will have the largest following. Good time for SMU to be on the rise, though and also to tie in with the whole "Dallas image"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ss-rights/
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NCAA feeling power slipping away?

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Good time for SMU to be on the rise, though and also to tie in with the whole "Dallas image"

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the motivation in the planning of the Dallas image was related to boosting potential future player value.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyte » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:59 pm

To be expected. NCAA has no choice after recent court rulings about the 'exclusive' use, for porfit, of current players and former players.

No details so we don't now how this will work. One can imagine the 'can't miss' players benefit. Most revenue spots players will get a free t-shirt. And some, like the vast majority of athletes in non revenue sports will get nothing.

The flip side is it might encourage some players to play all four years and not 'declare' early for pro sports. Might this extend the life of the NCAA and college amateur sports? Unintended consequences? Time will tell.
ponyte

Postby Pony81 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:44 pm

This is simply another turn of the crank.... first we had SWC geographic based conferences...then cable driven conferences Big 12, Big 10 , PAC 12, SEC, expansion..... now we will see a top 15 type programs that have the media presence to monitize the players NIL.
It’s a positive for SMU since it drops all the non Brand name P5 down to our level in player recruitment and image.
Big 12: Texas, Oklahoma
Big 10: OSU, Michigan, MSU,Penn State
ACC: Clemson, maybe FSU
SEC: Alabama, UGA, FLA, LSU, TAMU
PAC 12: USC, Oregon, maybe UCLA

These programs have the alumni interest to bid for these players and the media clout to bring in local business to pay for NIL of players. The 5 stars will get bids and these teams stand to outbid the others.

Just further separation between the haves and have nots.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:56 pm

I would imagine that big programs will lure big recruits in with promises of advertisements, endorsements, autographs, billboards, etc. that will make them money.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Pony81 wrote:This is simply another turn of the crank.... first we had SWC geographic based conferences...then cable driven conferences Big 12, Big 10 , PAC 12, SEC, expansion..... now we will see a top 15 type programs that have the media presence to monitize the players NIL.
It’s a positive for SMU since it drops all the non Brand name P5 down to our level in player recruitment and image.

I hope this is indeed the outcome.

Reality is there are 65 P5 schools. If you gave SMU or Coog High P5 membership, I’m convinced within 7 years either school would began consistently outperforming over half the existing P5 members.

Bringing down the dead-weight P5 schools is probably a good thing for SMU.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:12 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Pony81 wrote:This is simply another turn of the crank.... first we had SWC geographic based conferences...then cable driven conferences Big 12, Big 10 , PAC 12, SEC, expansion..... now we will see a top 15 type programs that have the media presence to monitize the players NIL.

I hope this is indeed the outcome.

Reality is there are 65 P5 schools. If you gave SMU or Coog High P5 membership, I’m convinced within 7 years either school would began consistently outperforming over half the existing P5 members.

Bringing down the dead-weight P5 schools is probably a good thing for SMU.

I agree with both of you... and there will be plenty of SMU fan $$ available to buy many box loads of Jerseys..
The T Shirt and Jersey business is going to boom like never before.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby bubba pony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 am

can these athletes do commercials?

I got my free Cadillac at Bubba's on Hillcreast. Tell 'em Jim Bob sent y'all and get a 10 percent discount.

Why won't this be legal?
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby AfricanMustang » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Good time for SMU to be on the rise, though and also to tie in with the whole "Dallas image"

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the motivation in the planning of the Dallas image was related to boosting potential future player value.

We have a world's best video game graduate program in the Guildhall, how can we leverage this?
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:31 pm

Anyone actually believe that Big Booster is not going to buy jerseys of offensive linemen to make sure they're getting "paid". If you don't I've got a nice deal on a bridge in Brooklyn.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:00 pm

It will be awesome of the NCAA releases a "top jersey sales" list like the NFL does.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mtrout » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:51 am

Call Sherwood. It has begun.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Football