PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game Line for Memphis Game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Game Line for Memphis Game

Postby ponyte » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Currently, SMU is a 5.5 underdog. Looks like we still don't get much respect.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Game Line for Memphis Game

Postby redpony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:13 pm

better that way.
redpony

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Actually it is pretty accurate. Two even teams with the home field advantage for Memphis worth a few points. It would probably be the opposite if the game was here.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony64 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Actually it is pretty accurate. Two even teams with the home field advantage for Memphis worth a few points. It would probably be the opposite if the game was here.

I can't make this right in my head. Line is at 6 now. I see it at best 3.5.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:19 pm

ponyte wrote:Currently, SMU is a 5.5 underdog. Looks like we still don't get much respect.

Completely disagree. I think they're giving us a lot of respect. They know we fight tough games but this will be one of the toughest and most hostile environments we have encountered.

We have everything on us: ABC Primetime, Homecoming, ESPN Gameday, this place will be covered in blue. From one poster, it sounds like we sold our allotment which is great. Counter it with that Memphis is taking the tarps off the stadium because they've sold out their side as well.

All non-team factors out, we still have RR who's more than likely not going to make it or at best going to be on the field but probably slightly injured/weak. Memphis has one of the best RBs in the country and fairly veteran force. Our only hope is that the team has game planned a strategy without RR in the mix. If we can keep up with them blow for blow then I have slightly more confidence in our defense than theirs. We shall see but I'm not nervous at all as I was with the Houston game.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:25 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
ponyte wrote:Currently, SMU is a 5.5 underdog. Looks like we still don't get much respect.

Completely disagree. I think they're giving us a lot of respect. They know we fight tough games but this will be one of the toughest and most hostile environments we have encountered.

We have everything on us: ABC Primetime, Homecoming, ESPN Gameday, this place will be covered in blue. From one poster, it sounds like we sold our allotment which is great. Counter it with that Memphis is taking the tarps off the stadium because they've sold out their side as well.

All non-team factors out, we still have RR who's more than likely not going to make it or at best going to be on the field but probably slightly injured/weak. Memphis has one of the best RBs in the country and fairly veteran force. Our only hope is that the team has game planned a strategy without RR in the mix. If we can keep up with them blow for blow then I have slightly more confidence in our defense than theirs. We shall see but I'm not nervous at all as I was with the Houston game.

I still think SMU wins, even with all that. Team of destiny IMO.

Teams are basically dead even stat wise, though I’d give a slight nod to SMU. SMU has better leadership, and has shown real resilience. They will gameplan around Robinson being out, and Proche will have a great game like he did at Michigan. We have great TEs too, and the best defense we have had in a long time. SMU has the better staff, all the way down to the strength and performance guys.

Not worried.
Last edited by PNW_Stang on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby malonish » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Reiterating that RR is not a good abbrev if multiple people who play that WR position have those initials.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 am

malonish wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Reiterating that RR is not a good abbrev if multiple people who play that WR position have those initials.

:lol: I'll have to say THE RR from now on! Fair point but the funny thing is everyone knows who I'm talking about. :D
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:21 am

RR will come through for the Mustangs against Memphis...one way or another!
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:00 am

I took the Mustangs straight up since I was at a conference in Vegas this week.

There is a lot of balance between the teams. It is an interesting statistical matchup with SMU's good run defense against a great Memphis rushing attack. And a great Memphis pass defense against a great SMU pass offense.

Obviously, the Roberson injury really hurts us in that last matchup. But there are some stats I really like in this game:

- SMU's weakness has been redzone offense and defense. But Memphis has the same issue.
- SMU's defensive stop rate is better than Memphis. SMU's defense is able to generate negative plays that get the defense off the field more regularly. SMU has much better statistics for offensive and defensive 3rd and 4th down percentage. All of this indicates that SMU will have the ability to wear the Memphis defense down over the course of the game.
- SMU creates more turnovers and has a better turnover differential.

Memphis is going to hit on some big plays in this game. I expect the SMU to get stops and then give up some big plays for scores intermittently. The biggest question is going to be whether or not SMU is able to be consistent on offense. Offensive consistency will put a lot of pressure on Memphis and will cause them to turn the ball over. A lack of consistency, Memphis will score a couple of times early and SMU is playing catch-up the rest of the game.

The key things I will be watching: Can we get the running game going early. It was fantastic against Temple after a long rest. Interested to see if that trend repeats. And the second is can we get 83 going. To have a consistent offense, we need Granson in the passing game without Roberson. The OL will need to survive without the TE staying in to block. Against Houston, we started losing the battle at the line of scrimmage and we needed a blocking TE for much of the game. It caused a lot of the inconsistency offensively in that game once Roberson went out. If we don't have Roberson AND we are using our TE to block, that is going to spell trouble.

I have no idea which way this game is going to go. But I like our defense a little more than theirs, and our QB better than theirs. I think it is a 50-50 game, but I think if we lose it will be due to ineffective offense and we lose by more than two touchdowns. So I went ahead and put my money on the ponies straight up.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 am

I always hedge. If you are going to bet, bet against your team. That way if they win, you feel good and if they lost at least you made money. :)
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:30 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I always hedge. If you are going to bet, bet against your team. That way if they win, you feel good and if they lost at least you made money. :)

I live in Las Vegas and I have NEVER bet against my teams. That's considered bad mojo around here. Unthinkable!
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:40 pm

SMU Pom Mom wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I always hedge. If you are going to bet, bet against your team. That way if they win, you feel good and if they lost at least you made money. :)

I live in Las Vegas and I have NEVER bet against my teams. That's considered bad mojo around here. Unthinkable!

It works for pessimistic people. :D
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:13 pm

Good I don't live in Vegas, cause my betting process is like Alum11's. And I sure want to lose my bet on this one!
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
SMU Pom Mom wrote:

It works for pessimistic people. :D

In my mind we are already playing with house money. We are ahead of schedule as a program, and the arrow points further up next year. I fully expect us to lose two more games. Three if we make it to the conference championship. Anything better than that is awesome.

I expected us to compete for the West this season, but we certainly we weren't the favorite. If this was a one trick pony (ha) situation, and next year looked like a disaster, I'd be on pins and needles. But the program is in great shape, I'm just enjoying the ride up, and nothing would [deleted] me off more if I bet against the Ponies and they actually won the game :).
JasonB

Next

Return to Football