PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SI week 10 predictions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SI week 10 predictions

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:08 am

https://www.si.com/college/2019/10/31/ncaa-football-week-10-schedule-predictions

Make no mistake, I still hold my reservations. I understand even without Reggie we are great team that has a great coaching staff. However, I still hold, we've never dealt with this environment and pressure before. I wish this was like our first conference game but when you are 8-0, it's hard not to think "we cant lose this" fear mentality.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: SI week 10 predictions

Postby Nacho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:26 am

Don't think they realize how important Roberson is to the team.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:18 am

I think it is a fair assessment. They were 50/50 on their picks which is pretty much how I see it.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:29 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Make no mistake, I still hold my reservations. I understand even without Reggie we are great team that has a great coaching staff. However, I still hold, we've never dealt with this environment and pressure before. I wish this was like our first conference game but when you are 8-0, it's hard not to think "we cant lose this" fear mentality.

It will be a difficult game, but this team has met all the challenges facing it so far. I'm not going to start doubting them now when they've shown the ability to handle all situations to date.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 am

CA Mustang wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Make no mistake, I still hold my reservations. I understand even without Reggie we are great team that has a great coaching staff. However, I still hold, we've never dealt with this environment and pressure before. I wish this was like our first conference game but when you are 8-0, it's hard not to think "we cant lose this" fear mentality.

It will be a difficult game, but this team has met all the challenges facing it so far. I'm not going to start doubting them now when they've shown the ability to handle all situations to date.

It's not so much doubting as being hurt severely by one of your biggest weapons going out, Reggie. If Reggie were in this game and full health, I would have a lot of confidence going into this game. Proche is great, do not get me wrong, but as we saw with an average defense with Houston, they will limit the passing game by double teaming Proche. This will put a lot of pressure on FR Rice and Granson to ensure no drop passes (or very limited). We can't drop passes on trick plays like flea flickers.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLaw90 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 am

I love reading "undefeated", "center stage" and "talented team" all in reference to SMU. Lets go Ponies. I'm not ready to wake up.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:It's not so much doubting as being hurt severely by one of your biggest weapons going out, Reggie. If Reggie were in this game and full health, I would have a lot of confidence going into this game. Proche is great, do not get me wrong, but as we saw with an average defense with Houston, they will limit the passing game by double teaming Proche. This will put a lot of pressure on FR Rice and Granson to ensure no drop passes (or very limited). We can't drop passes on trick plays like flea flickers.

There's a big difference between planning without a player for 7+ days rather than adjusting to a loss during a game. I expect Galliard and Page to get more targets and with the extra time Lashlee can be even more creative in using them.

Minimizing dropped passes is in the same category as minimizing penalties, turnovers and missed tackles. A focus for every game.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby The Falcon » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:11 pm

I still think Roberson will play. If not Rice, Galliard, and Page will step up. Also don't forget that
both Xman and McDaniel are good receivers and can come out of the backfield. They might
even try to work in Sanders.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 pm

With or without Roberson, this is a big test for this coaching staff to find the matchups our guys can win because I think we are going to need to score 40 points to win this game
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:With or without Roberson, this is a big test for this coaching staff to find the matchups our guys can win because I think we are going to need to score 40 points to win this game
Yes and perhaps some sort of different offensive tactics - without the predictable I know exactly what's coming and is not working...
One Trick Pony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:With or without Roberson, this is a big test for this coaching staff to find the matchups our guys can win because I think we are going to need to score 40 points to win this game
Yes and perhaps some sort of different offensive tactics - without the predictable I know exactly what's coming and is not working...

Play hard, fast, physical and with a lot of class. As far as the scheme..kinda like the TCU game "predictability"
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:12 am

Our coach and our QB are both used to bigger stages than this. That’s a huge plus on our side of the column.
gostangs

Return to Football