PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Path to Championship game...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Path to Championship game...

Postby Maryland78 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:59 pm

My understanding is if we win out and Memphis drops another game, we would still make the Championship game.

Memphis has to get through Houston and South Florida on the road...and Cincinnati at home.

Any thoughts...
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Re: Path to Championship game...

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:02 pm

We will have our hands full with our next 3 opponents as well, but yes...we could still sneak in the back door to the AAC Championship Game. I'm thinking we drop at least one more game but right now I just want to see these guys bounce back and beat ECU.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:02 pm

That assumes we win out as Memphis now has the tie breaker against us. The navy game will be tough on our end. Cinci is better then Memphis but they get to host so not sure we get through.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Maryland78 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:07 pm

Yes...of course...it is a very difficult path, but nice to know it is still possible!!

Memphis has a tough road, as well.
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby NY Pony » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Pony_Law wrote:That assumes we win out as Memphis now has the tie breaker against us. The navy game will be tough on our end. Cinci is better then Memphis but they get to host so not sure we get through.

I think we match up really, really well for Navy this year. Better than most years. Quick strike offense that will carve them up and solid d against the run. their typical dominate time of possession gameplan is undercut by our strengths. Tulane makes me nervous. I think Cinci takes Memphis and we have a “win and in” home game against Tulane for the division in a half-empty Ford to take on Cinci (in Cinci) for the AAC. Think we win the title at Cinci and head to JERRYWORLD.
NY Pony
All-American

Postby Donnell88 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:49 pm

Ever heard of that expression "Defence wins championships." Also, the special teams play against Memphis was atrocious - although the yardage stats were roughly equal, we kept giving them short fields. And giving up a kickoff return for a touchdown on the opening play of the second half didn't help.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby PonyFan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:36 am

Tulane easily could have beaten us last year, and is much better this year.
Navy is Navy. Always very tough, especially up there.
ECU scared Cincinnati today.
Nothing left is easy. Could go 3-0, or 0-3 down the stretch.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:39 am

I agree with NY Pony’s scenario. Our job is going 1-0 for the next three games. Then getting help from Cincinnati or Houston, then taking on Cincinnati in the CCG. Did you see the dejection in our kids faces. They are not gonna give up, give in or give out.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby smuhype » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 am

Is there much of any scenario where we could host the Championship game?
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:46 am

smuhype wrote:Is there much of any scenario where we could host the Championship game?

The simplest way is for us to win out, and have Memphis, UCF and Cincy finish with 2 conference losses so we avoid all tiebreakers.

1. CHAMPIONSHIP HOST TIE-BREAKER

a. Head to head result between tied teams;

b. If still tied, if one team was ranked in the latest available CFP Selection Committee
rankings and wins in the final weekend of the Conference regular season, they will be
declared the host. If in that same scenario, the team that was the highest-ranked
team in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings loses in the final
weekend of the Conference regular season, a composite average of selected computer
rankings (Anderson & Hester, Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) will be used to determine
the host;

c. If both teams ranked in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings, the
highest-ranked team that wins in the final weekend of the Conference regular season
will be declared the host;

d. If none of the ranked teams win in the final weekend of the Conference regular
season, a composite average of selected computer rankings (Anderson & Hester,
Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) after all games conclude the final weekend of the
Conference regular season will be used to determine the host;

e. If no teams are ranked in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings going
into the final weekend of the Conference regular season, a composite average of
selected computer rankings (Anderson & Hester, Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) after all
games conclude the final weekend of the Conference regular season will be used to
determine the host;

f. If still tied, Record against common Conference opponents;

g. If still tied, the team with the highest overall (Conference and non-conference winning
percentage [excluding exempt games] shall be the host;

h. If still tied, coin toss will be conducted by the Commissioner.

http://theamerican.org/documents/2018/1 ... licies.pdf
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:56 am

We just played the conference championship. However, for legal sake, there's nothing on Memphis schedule that'll stop them. We need to win out for that validation. According to brett McMurphy, alot of bowls are opening up due to teams not qualifying. Thanks ACC, Big12 and PAC12.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 pm

ESPN’s new “power rankings” (which have us at 22 this week, by the way) say Memphis would have to lose two more, even if SMU wins out. I don’t think that’s correct, is it? If SMU is 7-1 in conference and Memphis is 6-2, SMU wins the West, period. Right?
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Dukie wrote:ESPN’s new “power rankings” (which have us at 22 this week, by the way) say Memphis would have to lose two more, even if SMU wins out. I don’t think that’s correct, is it? If SMU is 7-1 in conference and Memphis is 6-2, SMU wins the West, period. Right?

Yes. Memphis needs to lose another to put us back in first. We just cant lose anymore. Like Dykes said, we can easily lose the next set.

Like I said though, I think both of us will win out and we already played the defacto championship game. I think Memphis and SMU are better than Cincy.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:43 pm

I still think that Navy game is for all the marbles. Memphis is more likely to lose another game than Navy is.
JasonB

Postby The Falcon » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:26 pm

JasonB wrote:I still think that Navy game is for all the marbles. Memphis is more likely to lose another game than Navy is.

Actually, Navy is leading the West Div. in our conference, but they do have 1 loss. So you are
right, we have to beat Navy in order to have a chance for championship game and hope that
Memphis loses one more. We better practice our tackling this week because Navy likes to run
the ball with a wishbone/option set. I was not impressed with our tackling in the Memphis game.
The Falcon
All-American

Next

Return to Football