PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Path to Championship game...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Path to Championship game...

Postby leopold » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:39 pm

If anybody thinks this is over, you're not paying attention. We are tied for first with key games to come.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:34 pm

The Falcon wrote:
JasonB wrote:I still think that Navy game is for all the marbles. Memphis is more likely to lose another game than Navy is.

Actually, Navy is leading the West Div. in our conference, but they do have 1 loss. So you are
right, we have to beat Navy in order to have a chance for championship game and hope that
Memphis loses one more. We better practice our tackling this week because Navy likes to run
the ball with a wishbone/option set. I was not impressed with our tackling in the Memphis game.

Navy might technically have a 1/2 game lead but they already lost to Memphis so Memphis is the only team in the west that controls it's own destiny
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 pm

I think our hope is with Cincinatti which plays them there.

Without all the Game Day hoopla, they beat them :?: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:47 am

After this weekend, obviously Memphis is in full control of the division.

There's an OK chance that Memphis loses to Cincinnati, meaning the SMU@Navy game determines the division winner.

Other than Cincinnati@Memphis and SMU@Navy, I don't think there's a high chance any of the three teams at the top get beat again. (Aside from Navy versus Notre Dame, but that isn't relevant to the division title. Hoping Navy pulls that one off anyway though.)
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:24 am

Memphis still has to play at Houston. We are talking about the same Memphis team that was lucky to escape Tulsa, but I'm glad they did. Makes our loss a little less damaging.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 am

We cant depend on tanked Houston. I think the game was close for us because of dropped passes, a thursday night game and a rivalry. Memphis wont have the last 2. I think they will honestly pummel them. The only hope is they choke against Cincy and just hope Cincy had a really really bad game against ECU and they come out swinging.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 am

Cincy vs Memphis will be a strange game because it will be round one of what could be 2 consecutive games against each other. If Cincy comes in undefeated, they will have won the east and will be playing for home field advantage in the championship game but if either SMU or Navy wins out, Memphis will be playing for both home field advantage and the west title. I still think under that scenario Memphis will win that game. It's all good for the AAC because I want those 2 programs to be strong and for SMU and the rest of the AAC to continue improving to the point we are beating P5 opponents regularly. Love having 5 programs hovering around Top 25 status week in and week out.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am

We have a tough row to hoe. ECU showed that they're not going to roll over, though I do expect to beat them by three touchdowns. And I do think we'll be able to take Tulane at home. But Navy is going to be a battle.

Ain't this fun?
ponyboy

Postby shadowman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Memphis still has to play at Houston. We are talking about the same Memphis team that was lucky to escape Tulsa, but I'm glad they did. Makes our loss a little less damaging.

Only thing though, if Tulsa wins that game against Memphis like they should have, we would still be in control of our own destiny for the conference championship game. Hopefully, Memphis lucking out that win won't cost us. I still think they will lose another game, the key though is can we win out.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:48 pm

It would not surprise me one bit if Houston beats Memphis. That’s just the sort of pointless thing Houston would do.
gostangs

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 am

Houston and Cincy both have a shot at taking down Memphis. We just need to continue to take care of business at home and find a way to win on the road at Navy and I like our odds of getting to represent the West in the Championship game, which will probably be against Cincy.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby indianmustang » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:18 pm

hope UH hands a loss to memphis and brings them back to earth
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Previous

Return to Football