PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL SMU-NAVY PREDICTIONS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL SMU-NAVY PREDICTIONS

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 pm

You are welcome. Thank you for agreeing with me. I thought I was going crazy, but I guess it just shows I’m old enough to remember when there were lots of option teams.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Treadway....I hope I am wrong, but in my mind poor cold/wet weather does not favor a passing air raid attack offense that Sonny runs vs a slow methodological clock eating offense that relies heavily on the run. I know it's not 2008, but remember Navy beat us in the rain without completing a single pass. I guess we'll see Sat
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:54 pm

IPP, understand, just think weather presents as many problems with pitches as with passes. Our DL is disruptive enough to cause mistakes with a slippery ball. I am probably wrong though - my predictions are notably bad.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Treadway....I hope I am wrong, but in my mind poor cold/wet weather does not favor a passing air raid attack offense that Sonny runs vs a slow methodological clock eating offense that relies heavily on the run. I know it's not 2008, but remember Navy beat us in the rain without completing a single pass. I guess we'll see Sat

The wind was blowing so hard in that game we had a punt go backwards. If the wind is not a factor the rain would not be any more of an issue for passing than for slight of hand ball handling and pitches. Runners cannot cut as well in wet turf. And receivers have an advantage of knowing where they are going making it more likely for a defender to slip.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:51 pm

The rain in cold weather also makes it more miserable on the offense as they get two minutes of playing time and then have to sit out for 10 minutes as Navy runs the clock. It has a mental impact.
JasonB

Postby PonySnob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:37 am

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:52 am

mrydel wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Treadway....I hope I am wrong, but in my mind poor cold/wet weather does not favor a passing air raid attack offense that Sonny runs vs a slow methodological clock eating offense that relies heavily on the run. I know it's not 2008, but remember Navy beat us in the rain without completing a single pass. I guess we'll see Sat

The wind was blowing so hard in that game we had a punt go backwards. If the wind is not a factor the rain would not be any more of an issue for passing than for slight of hand ball handling and pitches. Runners cannot cut as well in wet turf. And receivers have an advantage of knowing where they are going making it more likely for a defender to slip.

I was there too, we were among the few that stayed till the end.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Arkpony » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:36 am

Wife and I stayed til the very miserable end.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:46 am

I know it's impossible to really say well this team almost beat them therefore we should. However, I think a good data point is Tulane only lost by 3 at Navy. I know temps and weather suck but I do believe we have a running game too. Even so, we've seen Buchelle air it out in Houston during that monsoon.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang1992 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:15 am

I think the general question, outside of the smu community, is how good is the team? I had a fellow teacher ask me point blank following our Houston win, how good are they? At the time, of our Ws, only one team had a winning record. I think that is still the perception out there about smu. SD said our novelty would wear out after our first loss and we are seeing that nationally. If we don't win on Sat., especially considering the blow-out by ND, our stock will bottom out. Even if we win in a close game, say a 60 to 58 type of game, I still think we drop in the national perception. That blow-out did us and the conference no favors nationally speaking.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Navy will probably throw 3 times for 180 yards....but SMU 38 USA 35
Pony ^

Postby Dukie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:02 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I know it's impossible to really say well this team almost beat them therefore we should. However, I think a good data point is Tulane only lost by 3 at Navy. I know temps and weather suck but I do believe we have a running game too. Even so, we've seen Buchelle air it out in Houston during that monsoon.

It only rained late in the Houston game, didn't it? It was one of those fall Texas fronts and most of the game was nice and dry.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:31 pm

mustang1992 wrote:I think the general question, outside of the smu community, is how good is the team? If we don't win on Sat., especially considering the blow-out by ND, our stock will bottom out. Even if we win in a close game, say a 60 to 58 type of game, I still think we drop in the national perception.

Agreed....i think we suffer from voters bending over backwards to NOT put us in the Top 25, where I think they'd LOVE to put Texas in the Top 25 even with 4 losses. So if we lose to Navy we are gone from the Top 25. SMU is #39 in the Sagarin ratings with Texas way ahead of us. I would have no real confidence if we played 4 loss non-Top 25 Texas in a bowl game that we would have an easy go. We need to win Saturday to keep the doubters at bay

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Dukie wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I know it's impossible to really say well this team almost beat them therefore we should. However, I think a good data point is Tulane only lost by 3 at Navy. I know temps and weather suck but I do believe we have a running game too. Even so, we've seen Buchelle air it out in Houston during that monsoon.

It only rained late in the Houston game, didn't it? It was one of those fall Texas fronts and most of the game was nice and dry.

Hmmm... maybe you are right but I still think Buchelle doesn't require perfect weather to throw a ball.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:54 pm

I am making one of my totally illogical predictions: SMU 41 Navy 37.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football