PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Ben Hicks to Hogs thread locked & moved

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chad Morris Fired

Postby Ikus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm

ESPN says Arkansas owes him 70% of the money remaining on his contract, which is something close to $10 million, just to walk away. I'm going to ask my boss to pay me $10 million and fire me.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Ikus wrote:ESPN says Arkansas owes him 70% of the money remaining on his contract, which is something close to $10 million, just to walk away. I'm going to ask my boss to pay me $10 million and fire me.
They won't be strokeing that check anytime soon, they don't even want to pay the other guy because they say he's not looking for work lol
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Chad Morris Fired

Postby TidePony » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:02 pm

The coaching carousel just cranked up!
Last edited by TidePony on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SmooBoy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm

He's in the running for other gigs. I will say 4-18 coaches are hard to come by...
SmooBoy

Postby Topper » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:22 pm

I am completely unfamiliar with the terms of these coaches contracts. If he finds work elsewhere, is there an offset against the $10M for what he makes at the new gig? It is obvious that he won't make this kind of money again anytime soon but I suspect somebody will want him on their staff in some capacity. He still has recruiting connections in Texas that would be of some value to a Big 12 school for instance wouldn't he?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Topper wrote:I am completely unfamiliar with the terms of these coaches contracts. If he finds work elsewhere, is there an offset against the $10M for what he makes at the new gig? It is obvious that he won't make this kind of money again anytime soon but I suspect somebody will want him on their staff in some capacity. He still has recruiting connections in Texas that would be of some value to a Big 12 school for instance wouldn't he?

"There is also an “offset” clause in Morris’ contract, meaning those monthly payments can be reduced if he finds another job within the timeframe of the buyout.

That clause specifically says he has an “obligation to maximize his earning potential with a new employer by seeking comparable employment for his services at a rate of compensation not less than market value and consistent with compensation rates for similar positions in the given industry at the time such employment is obtained.”

What that basically means is that Morris can’t just sit at home and collect checks or take another job with a discounted salary and use the buyout to subsidize his income."

https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/unders ... ris-buyout
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Chad morris to USF... or even florida state???

I be shocked if either picked him seeing his track record.

Pull into the left lane, hammer down, and pony up.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Topper wrote:I am completely unfamiliar with the terms of these coaches contracts. If he finds work elsewhere, is there an offset against the $10M for what he makes at the new gig? It is obvious that he won't make this kind of money again anytime soon but I suspect somebody will want him on their staff in some capacity. He still has recruiting connections in Texas that would be of some value to a Big 12 school for instance wouldn't he?

"There is also an “offset” clause in Morris’ contract, meaning those monthly payments can be reduced if he finds another job within the timeframe of the buyout.

That clause specifically says he has an “obligation to maximize his earning potential with a new employer by seeking comparable employment for his services at a rate of compensation not less than market value and consistent with compensation rates for similar positions in the given industry at the time such employment is obtained.”

What that basically means is that Morris can’t just sit at home and collect checks or take another job with a discounted salary and use the buyout to subsidize his income."

https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/unders ... ris-buyout

If "comparable services" means head coach at an SEC program that ain't gonna happen. If it means "head coach" then he may be back at a Texas high school.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM75 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Hey Piggies

Keep your hands off of HCSD, but you can keep Hicks.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby HToady » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Will be moving into Jerry Jone's pool house.
HToady
Recruit

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Topper wrote: If "comparable services" means head coach at an SEC program that ain't gonna happen. If it means "head coach" then he may be back at a Texas high school.

The Pigs are currently in a legal fight with Bielema over that offset clause.

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/201 ... be-costly/
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:43 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Chad morris to USF... or even florida state???

He is 18-40 lifetime as a HC with multiple blow-out losses.

I could easily see his next HC job at either UTSA or NTSU, maybe UTEP, but only after he reclaims his reputation as an OC.
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He's untouchable as a HC for the next 5 - and probably more like 10 - years. He will find a good job as an OC somewhere but nobody is going to take a chance on him for the foreseeable future unless he somehow wins another NC.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:08 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Chad morris to USF... or even florida state???

He is 18-40 lifetime as a HC with multiple blow-out losses.

I could easily see his next HC job at either UTSA or NTSU, maybe UTEP, but only after he reclaims his reputation as an OC.

Wow you are probably right... man he has to feel enormous amount of regret leaving here where the seat is generally always cold. Then again he just got 10 million dollars more for doing nothing...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Chad Morris Fired

Postby dickey1331 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Couldn’t have happened to a better guy ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dickey1331
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football