PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Ben Hicks to Hogs thread locked & moved

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chad Morris Fired

Postby friarwolf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am

Why? He is the size of Johnny Manziel without Johnny Football's arm strength, quickness, or speed. Great high school quarterback who has received all the training and development - physically and mentally - a kid can possibly get. Randy Allen's system works perfectly for a player like this. He can't take us where we want to go............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:24 am

friarwolf wrote:Why? He is the size of Johnny Manziel without Johnny Football's arm strength, quickness, or speed. Great high school quarterback who has received all the training and development - physically and mentally - a kid can possibly get. Randy Allen's system works perfectly for a player like this. He can't take us where we want to go............

My thoughts, as well. He's obviously a solid HS football player, but I think we're in trouble if he's competing for our starting QB slot.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:38 am

SMU Section F wrote:
friarwolf wrote:Why? He is the size of Johnny Manziel without Johnny Football's arm strength, quickness, or speed. Great high school quarterback who has received all the training and development - physically and mentally - a kid can possibly get. Randy Allen's system works perfectly for a player like this. He can't take us where we want to go............

My thoughts, as well. He's obviously a solid HS football player, but I think we're in trouble if he's competing for our starting QB slot.

Put him in the slot like Cole Beasley. And he can throw on trick plays just like Beasley a few times.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:55 am

TCU having such a crappy year that they are wanting our (and Arkansas') cast off coach to run their offense...

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/it%E2%80%99s-official-chad-morris-fired-after-22-games.222546/

I can totally see Gary Patterson and Morris getting along (not).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Remember when Arkansas hired Morris and some said he wouldn't be there long .... because Jerry Jones might swoop in and hire him as the Cowboys' next head coach?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Dement-ed wrote:Remember when Arkansas hired Morris and some said he wouldn't be there long .... because Jerry Jones might swoop in and hire him as the Cowboys' next head coach?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From the results last night, Morris might not be any worse than the current situation. At least the Cowboys ostensibly have some talent with which to work. At AK he needed 5 years to recruit and season his young players. I understand the fans clamoring for a firing, but in his defense he was not given the time to turn the program around. He apparently has/had a respectful recruiting class coming in and was fighting a culture issue. I was not fan particularly after he showed his true colors in the Baylor episode, but he did not have a chance. Now the program is out another $11 mil and you can probably chalk up one or two recruiting classes. Long term consequences for his firing.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:36 pm

He didn't need 5 years to recruit a roster that wouldn't get boat raced by North Texas, Western Kentucky, Colorado State, and San Jose State.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mr. pony » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:11 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:He didn't need 5 years to recruit a roster that wouldn't get boat raced by North Texas, Western Kentucky, Colorado State, and San Jose State.

Arkie beat Colo. St.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:18 pm

mr. pony wrote:
Arkie beat Colo. St.

This year they did, last year they lost to them after blowing an 18 point 3rd quarter lead :lol:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Question is whether Morris will want to jump right back into coaching and whether that's a requirement of his severance package? If so, will he join someone's offensive staff and still be involved at a P5 level or does he want to continue as a HC. I assume his ego is such that he will want the latter. Doesn't look like anyone is going to be coming after UNT's coach (which we were all predicting would happen after the success they had last season). I assume Chad will want a HC position in Texas so he can continue with his Texas H.S. football coaches shtick.

I could see him at UNT or Texas State or even SFA but I also wonder whether he will look for a place both he and Chandler and his family can be happy. Wherever he ends up, he's going to be making P5 HC money for the next 3 years so his firing is hardly a tragedy.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah, that'll buy a lot of Red Bull.
ponyboy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Question is whether Morris will want to jump right back into coaching and whether that's a requirement of his severance package? If so, will he join someone's offensive staff and still be involved at a P5 level or does he want to continue as a HC. I assume his ego is such that he will want the latter. Doesn't look like anyone is going to be coming after UNT's coach (which we were all predicting would happen after the success they had last season). I assume Chad will want a HC position in Texas so he can continue with his Texas H.S. football coaches shtick.

I could see him at UNT or Texas State or even SFA but I also wonder whether he will look for a place both he and Chandler and his family can be happy. Wherever he ends up, he's going to be making P5 HC money for the next 3 years so his firing is hardly a tragedy.

Who knows... I think he's a bit of a toxic asset. Any G5 school knows (seeing what happen with us) that they will be a stepping stone and he probably doesn't want to go back down to that level again. He's probably going to sit on it for 2 years with his nice severance and have feelers out there. Who knows, maybe he will take an offensive analyst position somewhere with a low salary that won't offset much with UA and stay in the circle like Dykes did.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 pm

See Phil Bennett
ponyboy

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I assume Chad will want a HC position in Texas so he can continue with his Texas H.S. football coaches shtick. I could see him at UNT or Texas State or even SFA but I also wonder whether he will look for a place both he and Chandler and his family can be happy. Wherever he ends up, he's going to be making P5 HC money for the next 3 years so his firing is hardly a tragedy.

Charleston always enjoy your insight, but I think Chad will prefer and be offered an offensive coordinator or at least an offensive position coaching job at a P5 school. I bet some coach will look at his Clemson work and take a chance with a relatively short term contract and watch how he does coaching and recruiting. I would assume Chad is well connected in the college ranks. Not sure what that means as far as his $10 million from Ark....but I think he might want to reclaim his image as an assistant coach at a bigger school vs being a Texas HS or SFA head coach....I guess we'll see.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I assume Chad will want a HC position in Texas so he can continue with his Texas H.S. football coaches shtick. I could see him at UNT or Texas State or even SFA but I also wonder whether he will look for a place both he and Chandler and his family can be happy. Wherever he ends up, he's going to be making P5 HC money for the next 3 years so his firing is hardly a tragedy.

Charleston always enjoy your insight, but I think Chad will prefer and be offered an offensive coordinator or at least an offensive position coaching job at a P5 school. I bet some coach will look at his Clemson work and take a chance with a relatively short term contract and watch how he does coaching and recruiting. I would assume Chad is well connected in the college ranks. Not sure what that means as far as his $10 million from Ark....but I think he might want to reclaim his image as an assistant coach at a bigger school vs being a Texas HS or SFA head coach....I guess we'll see.

Pure speculation on my part as I don't know the guy or his family, but Chandler was going to follow Dad to Arkansas, right? I would not be surprised to see Chad end up somewhere Chandler would have a chance to play and get a decent education...and we know Chad loves Texas and has East Texas roots. That's why I could see him drop down to FCS Southland level or at least back down to CUSA or SunBelt. Should be interesting and might keep this thread alive until we find out where he/they are headed.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football