PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs NAVY thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU vs NAVY thread

Postby peruna81 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Next play...next game.

I appreciate Sonny and the job he has done. I also appreciate him tearing the officials a brand new butthole. They earned it, and deserved to have it brought to their collective attention. They were sufficiently embarrassed and did not like having it pointed out that they missed a number of calls. When the TV announcers mention it, you know there is an issue.

But the officials did not cost us the game.

That said, Sonny earned his flag too.

Tulane is going to be equally tough. And equally motivated.

We played poorly in the second half, and I would argue were out-coached. Take one part of the option away, and punish. Our defense has the athletes to do that.

I will venture this...next year in Dallas is going to be a bloodletting.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:23 pm

mrydel wrote:Who would have taken 9-2 or 10-1 when the season began? We are a year ahead of schedule.

Don’t want to hear it.
Not now.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Yep, that was one terribly officiated game. Lot of calls missed.
Take a bow refs, you earned it!
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby 35straight » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Absolute embarrassment of a defense. No coaching effort at all.
35straight
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:55 pm

So mission already accomplished?
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:57 pm

I’d rather have no bowl than play in Frisco. Terrible bowl.
gostangs

Postby 35straight » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:00 pm

I love my Ponies but with the way we have been playing defense we will lose against Tulane and against anyone we play in a bowl.
35straight
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:00 pm

mr. pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:Who would have taken 9-2 or 10-1 when the season began? We are a year ahead of schedule.

Don’t want to hear it.
Not now.

Agreed. They choked hard there. It was just extremely disappointing. The refs didnt get us 18 unanswered points. Shane, Rhett and the offense laid an egg. Defense doesnt have the depth to make 4 stops in a row. So in sum, we sucked. Cost us a chance for the cotton bowl. Hopefully we win against Tulane otherwise, we are Frisco bound and we deserve it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:17 pm

35straight wrote:Absolute embarrassment of a defense. No coaching effort at all.

I 100% totally disagree. The number one thing you do against the option is stop the FB Dive. Number two is stop the QB. We forced Navy to rely on the pitch the entire game to move the ball. That is exactly what you are supposed to do. Our pash rush was uneven and undisciplined in the second half, and it killed us because it allowed the QB to scramble and also look down the field. But since the defense was on the field the entire 1st and 3rd quarters, I can give them a break for getting tired and losing some discipline. It isn't a coaching issue.

We don't have a great Flex player yet. Nelson can blitz, which is great, but his cover skills aren't there. And our safeties don't have good cover skills. The slot receiver absolutely killed us again. That isn't a coaching problem, we just don't have great players all over the field yet. Not a coaching problem.

When you lose by six at Navy in cold rainy weather on senior day, which has happened to now 17 teams in a row, and where we haven't won in ever, and you had a chance to win it in the last 3 minutes, you don't suck. The coaches don't suck. The players actually tried. Sometimes, you just lose to a good football team. Just because Navy fumbled a billion times in the first quarter and got blown out early against ND doesn't make them a bad team. They just had a really bad day.
JasonB

Postby 78pony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:55 pm

JasonB wrote:
35straight wrote:Absolute embarrassment of a defense. No coaching effort at all.

I 100% totally disagree. The number one thing you do against the option is stop the FB Dive. Number two is stop the QB. We forced Navy to rely on the pitch the entire game to move the ball. That is exactly what you are supposed to do. Our pash rush was uneven and undisciplined in the second half, and it killed us because it allowed the QB to scramble and also look down the field. But since the defense was on the field the entire 1st and 3rd quarters, I can give them a break for getting tired and losing some discipline. It isn't a coaching issue.

We don't have a great Flex player yet. Nelson can blitz, which is great, but his cover skills aren't there. And our safeties don't have good cover skills. The slot receiver absolutely killed us again. That isn't a coaching problem, we just don't have great players all over the field yet. Not a coaching problem.

When you lose by six at Navy in cold rainy weather on senior day, which has happened to now 17 teams in a row, and where we haven't won in ever, and you had a chance to win it in the last 3 minutes, you don't suck. The coaches don't suck. The players actually tried. Sometimes, you just lose to a good football team. Just because Navy fumbled a billion times in the first quarter and got blown out early against ND doesn't make them a bad team. They just had a really bad day.

Too bad we don't have any depth. oh my, it's cold. Oh no, it's wet. Oh gosh, those Navy guys are tough. And for goodness sakes,we don't practice against this O for more than 3 days. With a coach running live scout team. Etc, etc, etc. Excuses excuses. We just simply had the spotlight and failed miserably, again, in Annapolis. Sick of it
78pony
Heisman

Postby sail420s » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:24 am

We're going to need to score 50 to win another game. Teams have figured out our secondary is complete trash.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 am

Maybe. Tulane is a lot better than last year, and could (maybe should have) beaten us last year. But QB Justin McMillan is averaging 180 passing yards/game, and has thrown 14 TDs in 11 games. Stop the run and get the offense back on track next week.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:31 am

gostangs wrote:I’d rather have no bowl than play in Frisco.

Oh come on that's emotion talking...I understand it sucks we lost..it sucks bad the way we played in the 2nd half especially...we are all disappointed...but preferring no bowl vs Frisco Bowl is nuts. A bowl gives us extra practice time, more exposure/TV, and cant hurt recruiting. Get a grip man....this is special season on the journey of getting where we want to be. Beat Tulane!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 am

JasonB wrote:

Jason, You do realize who you are responding to right?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ponyte » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:57 pm

Unbelievable lack of offensive adjustments in the 2nd half. Navy went to heavy blitz package and we never attacked it. No screens, draws, quick hits into the blitz. Nothing! And without an offense, the D can't be expected to last mistake free an entire game.

Th offensive coaching staff didn't bring their A game and it showed.
ponyte

PreviousNext

Return to Football