PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Downward Trend Continues

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Downward Trend Continues

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Hard to imagine, we work on Navy's offense year round, they had 540 yds and 40 minutes of clock possession. SMU also had two weeks to heal, rest and prepare for Navy. Outscored 25 -7 in the second half, Navy clearly wanted it more. After a poor performance against Tulsa, we have played well once, against Temple. Ranked 15th, undefeated 8 -0 going into Memphis, we have lost 2 out of 3, with a bad showing against ECU. The goal all off season, summer, training camp, in every game this year, just ended in Annapolis. Sonny will need a psychology degree, to get them up for Tulane. One thing for sure, we don't wanna play Notre Dame. Lol

This is why we can't have nice things.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Downward Trend Continues

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:40 pm

We need to shake off the poop of this one, and be ready for win number 10.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoofprint » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:59 pm

OMG. This team has given us more to cheer about than any in 30 years, and just lost on the road by one score to a team that gives everyone fits. This is the best team wehave had in 30 years and I can't wait for the Tulane game.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 pm

We are a year ahead of schedule. I'm proud of the team and what we accomplished this season.

Time to fight for that 10th win and a better bowl than Frisco. That is your psychology motivation. And to send the seniors out with a win.
JasonB

Postby Hoofprint » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Yup
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:11 pm

This is not, well, little Johnny played hard at his soccer game .... Read what our coach had to say after the game.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby FriscoPMG » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:46 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:This is not, well, little Johnny played hard at his soccer game .... Read what our coach had to say after the game.

From Sam Blum on Twitter:

Sonny Dykes: "I was not happy with the way we coached or played. I'm very disappointed. If you want to have a great season, if you want to make a run, then you've got to do a better job than we did."

Sonny Dykes: "I thought the way the game ended [with the offside penalty] was bush league. I thought that was a bush league deal. ... It's too bad [the referees] didn't give our players a chance to finish the game. ... The officials took the game away from the players."
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:56 pm

FriscoPMG wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:This is not, well, little Johnny played hard at his soccer game .... Read what our coach had to say after the game.

From Sam Blum on Twitter:

Sonny Dykes: "I was not happy with the way we coached or played. I'm very disappointed. If you want to have a great season, if you want to make a run, then you've got to do a better job than we did."

Sonny Dykes: "I thought the way the game ended [with the offside penalty] was bush league. I thought that was a bush league deal. ... It's too bad [the referees] didn't give our players a chance to finish the game. ... The officials took the game away from the players."

I was mad about the calls in the game but seeing Dykes comments, I feel better. Hes by far the best coach we have ever had since post DP. Glad I was dead wrong about him before he got here. He takes ownership, he's passionate, it's great to see that when so many of his predecessors just shrugged and moved on.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:57 pm

FriscoPMG wrote:Sonny Dykes: "I thought the way the game ended [with the offside penalty] was bush league. I thought that was a bush league deal. ... It's too bad [the referees] didn't give our players a chance to finish the game. ... The officials took the game away from the players."

There is no doubt we allowed ourselves to get in the position where the refs could steal the game from us.....we should not have been totally dominated in the 2nd half....which allowed BS ref calls like that to throw the game
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Poor coaching and too much heart & desire on the other side. 2 weeks to get ready and again, we make a kid that at one time was pulled out of the stands at halftime look like an all American. Not that he isn’t very good. But, If I’m Malcolm I’m wishing we could play SMU every week so I could take home that Heisman trophy. We simply aren’t ready for prime time. Today was beyond disappointing.
78pony
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:06 am

Stepping back from the anger and frustration. We are ahead of schedule. A 5-7 team last year is 9-2. Albeit we dont have a michigan on our schedule but even so that's 6-6 vs 9-2. I will say losing to Tulane would put a severe damper to what was a promising season.

If we can win and get into a good bowl and perform. Sonny will have plenty of ammo for recruiting and building up this still somewhat incomplete team.

The critical factor in my view in this game was Shane's missed deep throws that were so uncharacteristic of him. Add those in and we win by a TD. QB is everything from a YoY perspective.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU89 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 am

9 for 162 and TD

No turn overs

If you knew those stats prior, you'd think either 1) we got up big or 2) they won

Navy executed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SMU89

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 am

The everybody gets a trophy crowd, needs to listen to what coach said.

https://youtu.be/69SnSWytNCk
ALEX LIFESON

Postby EastStang » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:57 am

Buschelle was not sharp with his passes. He overthrew 3 open receivers. It might been the wind, but if he hits one of those might have been a different game. Navy to their credit figured out our pass defense is suspect. They turned the triple option into the veer and we had no answer. Great season so far so let’s finish with a win over Tulane.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mountain Mustang » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:20 am

I got the feeling watching the first half that we were completely selling out against the run. Thought Navy would try to adjust and hoped they wouldn't be competent enough to do so. They were. Couple that with our defense being on the field almost the entire 3rd quarter due to consecutive 3 and outs by the offense and it was a perfect storm.

All of that being said, there were back-to-back PI no-calls on Proche on our last drive that would've allowed us to tie up the game. We were in it till the end against a team who's won Senior Day for the last 16, now 17 years. Disappointed for sure, but still love this team.
Here's to those that wish us well and all the rest can go to hell!!!
Mountain Mustang
Varsity

Next

Return to Football