PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Downward Trend Continues

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Downward Trend Continues

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:20 pm

JasonB wrote:
Arkpony wrote:I still cannot forget our last game in 2018. Terrible loss at Tulsa.

I'm sure that will be a constant rallying cry for the team this week.

You guys are acting like we choked against horrible teams. We have lost by a combined 13 points to teams with a combined 3 losses, both games away.

Our OL isn't dominant in the run game. We don't have *that* dominant DE yet. Our Star position player isn't a stud against run and pass yet. Our safeties aren't great in coverage.

We didn't choke, and we didn't blow anything. It takes GREAT teams to run the table, even in a lesser conference like the Sun Belt or CUSA, much less the AAC. We have some holes to fill to get to that level.

Great points. Thank you.

As disappointing the loss was, this season has been such a breath of fresh air it’s hard to believe we have so many bad mouthing the season.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU89 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Looking forward to Ssturday.

3pm kick

Great weather.

Seniors

Bowling

Lets win and have some fun

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SMU89

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:18 am

SMU89 wrote:Looking forward to Ssturday.

3pm kick

Great weather.

Seniors

Bowling

Lets win and have some fun

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ditto, just win baby!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:58 am

Well?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby BIGHORSE » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:18 am

I was very happy to have won 10 games this year, but the way we lost 3 out of the

last 5 games kind of let the air out of it, and with the bowl game, we just seemed flat

to me, and if you play like you don't really care, that's almost like losing on purpose.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:18 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:I was very happy to have won 10 games this year, but the way we lost 3 out of the

last 5 games kind of let the air out of it, and with the bowl game, we just seemed flat

to me, and if you play like you don't really care, that's almost like losing on purpose.

Sonny has shown he can get good players. I think that will continue.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:34 pm

As we bid adieu to Nick Dennis on the offensive line, we add Danielson Ike (6-6, 338), Tai Brooks (6-4, 334) and Demetri Jordan (6-4, 300) to the rotation. It seems clear we need a transfer RB to go along with T.J. McDaniel, Ulysses Bentley and TaMerik Williams, but with a bigger and hopefully nastier offensive line, there is reason to remain hopeful for continued improvement.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:36 pm

That bowl loss really took the wind out of my sails. However, I have now gotten over it and look forward to a good year next year. The key will be building this offensive line: having a running game threat and protection for Buechele. If that happens, we should be a very good offensive team. Defense needs help so we will see if they can better this season and win the West. With some Transfer help I would expect to be ranked in the Top 40 preseason. Signed: Eternal Optimist.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby TidePony » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Defense should be priority one (we all painfully saw this very real need at the FAU game), followed by a nasty fullback, then O-line depth, ohhhhh and don’t forget some highly athletic special teams players.

While the Bowl game was a hard pill to swallow, I’m excited about next year. And, the best part is this won’t take that many new players. We already have a full stable of growing athletes.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:00 pm

No divisions next season. Top two teams play in the title game.
skyscraper

Postby SMUstang » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:15 pm

skyscraper wrote:No divisions next season. Top two teams play in the title game.

That’s a plus in so many ways. I’m looking forward to it.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:03 pm

skyscraper wrote:No divisions next season. Top two teams play in the title game.

That's basically what happened this year with Memphis havng to beat Cincy twice to claim the AAC Championship. Memphis was fortunate to have both those games at home.
Charleston Pony

Postby ojaipony » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:57 pm

So here's what happened. We fell for the Cotton Bowl hype and when we lost to Memphis (some on that roster were just nowhere near ready for that kind of game -- on defense and of course ST), I think we kind of tanked subconsciously after that. Now, having said that, no one apparently beats Navy on senior day so I can sort of be "ok" with that loss and we weren't going to lose on our senior day (although Tulane helped hand that win to us). Losing Reggie of course was a killer. But the bowl game? Downright inexcusable. This team needs a little more of a just win attitude, doesn't matter who/when you're playing. Play the same way all the time: to completely obliterate the other team. We need that mindset. Have never had it in my 30 years following this program. Memphis has it. Houston used to have it and will probably have it again next year. Have to find a way to get that in the DNA of the program. Be nice all other days, be an outright DOG on game days. Every position, every player. Nonstop.
ojaipony

Postby Arkpony » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:15 am

ojaipony wrote:So here's what happened. We fell for the Cotton Bowl hype and when we lost to Memphis (some on that roster were just nowhere near ready for that kind of game -- on defense and of course ST), I think we kind of tanked subconsciously after that. Now, having said that, no one apparently beats Navy on senior day so I can sort of be "ok" with that loss and we weren't going to lose on our senior day (although Tulane helped hand that win to us). Losing Reggie of course was a killer. But the bowl game? Downright inexcusable. This team needs a little more of a just win attitude, doesn't matter who/when you're playing. Play the same way all the time: to completely obliterate the other team. We need that mindset. Have never had it in my 30 years following this program. Memphis has it. Houston used to have it and will probably have it again next year. Have to find a way to get that in the DNA of the program. Be nice all other days, be an outright DOG on game days. Every position, every player. Nonstop.

Amen!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Lefty » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:21 am

Ponies obviously didn't finish the way we wanted. That bowl game was tough.
But no matter who is on the schedule, 10 wins can't be called a "downward trend." The schedule wasn't a killer, but we have had bad schedules before and won less than half, sometimes a lot less.
This season was a lot of fun to watch. Here's hoping for an even better season next year.
Lefty
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football