PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl projections after week 13

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bowl projections after week 13

Postby geezerdonk » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 pm

Better hope they don't draw Louisiana Tech.
geezerdonk
Recruit
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:01 pm

mr. pony wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:
35straight wrote:Watching this game right now I’m not sure we’d want to see Texas in a bowl. Texas can throw the ball.


Bingo, I think most of our fans don't realize this .


BS.
Facing Texas in a bowl would be perfect.

Texas would be awesome. AAC bowl slots are not great and we will finish 3rd in the AAC West.

So Memphis will likely make the access bowl then we are 3rd in the AAC behind Cincy & Navy. If Memphis loses next week then Boise (barf) or App St (barf) will get the access bowl and we are 4th in the AAC.

Here are SMU's most likely options:
– Jared Birmingham Bowl vs. SEC
– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparillia Bowl vs. Conference USA
– Hawaii Bowl vs. BYU or Mountain West
– Military Bowl presented by Northrup Grumman vs. ACC
– Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl vs. Conference USA
– AutoNation Cure Bowl vs. Sun Belt
– Frisco Bowl vs. At-Large

Then like has been mentioned there are cases where other conferences won't fill all their slots and SMU might get a little much-needed favoritism.

Bottom line: Pray for that last case aka Texas Bowl. Guys will get a paid vacation to...drumroll...Houston. At least that might be profitable because more SMU fans might come and the team can just bus down.
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Mowers bowl.
Burned out on H
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9230
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:21 pm

If a 10-2 SMU ends up playing Eastern freaking Michigan in Frisco, I honestly would say SMU should just decline the invite.
Anything but the Frisco bowl and Boca Raton
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:25 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:If a 10-2 SMU ends up playing Eastern freaking Michigan in Frisco, I honestly would say SMU should just decline the invite.


We had a 10 win season but when it comes down to it, we didn't beat anyone that was actually any good unless you want to count 5-7 TCU. 3rd place in the AAC West division does not get you your choice of premium bowls.
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby WordUpBU » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 pm

mr. pony wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:
35straight wrote:Watching this game right now I’m not sure we’d want to see Texas in a bowl. Texas can throw the ball.


Bingo, I think most of our fans don't realize this .


BS.
Facing Texas in a bowl would be perfect.


Texas isn’t making it further than the Camping World Bowl in the Big 12 Bowl pecking order.

NY6
Alamo
Camping World

Texas
Liberty
CheezIt


If SMU goes to the Texas Bowl or Liberty in place of an SEC team they’d draw teams like ISU/KSU/OSU
User avatar
WordUpBU
Varsity
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 am

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 am

mtrout wrote:We had a 10 win season but when it comes down to it, we didn't beat anyone that was actually any good unless you want to count 5-7 TCU.

SMU blasted an 8-4 Temple team and also beat an 7-5 Arkansas State team.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:14 am

mtrout wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:If a 10-2 SMU ends up playing Eastern freaking Michigan in Frisco, I honestly would say SMU should just decline the invite.


We had a 10 win season but when it comes down to it, we didn't beat anyone that was actually any good unless you want to count 5-7 TCU. 3rd place in the AAC West division does not get you your choice of premium bowls.


While TCUs record sucks, they still knocked off Texas and almost Baylor. While we beat them on the road, we had two "good" losses. Anybody with a brain knows that Memphis w/gameday, primetime top 25 matchup is in favor of the home team and we only lost by 6. Navy should have been a win but probabilities were against us given they never lose on senior day.
Anything but the Frisco bowl and Boca Raton
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby PonySnob » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:24 am

CA Mustang wrote:
mtrout wrote:We had a 10 win season but when it comes down to it, we didn't beat anyone that was actually any good unless you want to count 5-7 TCU.

SMU blasted an 8-4 Temple team and also beat an 7-5 Arkansas State team.


Did we only beat two teams with a winning record this year?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
User avatar
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11263
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Bowl projections after week 13

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:46 am

From http://realtimerpi.com/college_football ... tangs.html

Date Opponent Opp. Rank Results
08-31 at Arkansas St. 7-5 (5-3) 59 37-30 W
09-07 North Texas 4-8 (3-5) 123 49-27 W
09-14 Texas St. 3-9 (2-6) 107 47-17 W
09-21 at TCU 5-7 (3-6) 69 41-38 W
09-28 at South Florida 4-8 (2-6) 64 48-21 W
10-05 Tulsa 4-8 (2-6) 70 43-37 W
10-19 Temple 8-4 (5-3) 49 45-21 W
10-24 at Houston 4-8 (2-6) 78 34-31 W
11-02 at Memphis 11-1 (7-1) 14 48-54 L
11-09 East Carolina 4-8 (1-7) 116 59-51 W
11-23 at Navy 9-2 (7-1) 20 28-35 L
11-30 Tulane 6-6 (3-5) 61 37-20 W
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Previous

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Insane_Pony_Posse, Majestic-12 [Bot], skyscraper and 14 guests