PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl projections after week 14

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bowl projections after week 14

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 am

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl
Friday, December 20L
7:30 ET, ESPN2
Toyota Stadium, Frisco, TX
American Athletic vs. at-large
Projection: SMU vs. UAB
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/11 ... er-week-14

Frisco Bowl: SMU vs. UAB
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/b ... 39558803_1

Cheez-It Bowl Dec. 27 Tempe, Ariz. Big 12 vs. Pac-12 SMU+ vs. San Diego State+
https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... redictions
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mr. pony » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:00 am

Not good.
None of ‘em.

Play Texas or Okie State SOMEWHERE.
Good Lord.

10-2
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4523
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Webmaster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:04 am

Payouts
Frisco 750k
Cheez-It 1.037 mil
Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, do not hesitate to e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Image
User avatar
Webmaster
Heisman
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby TidePony » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 am

Independence Bowl
Payout: $1.2 million and they had a rep at our game yesterday
User avatar
TidePony
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am

TidePony wrote:Independence Bowl
Payout: $1.2 million and they had a rep at our game yesterday

Hopefully looking at Tulane.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 31339
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:00 am

mrydel wrote:
TidePony wrote:Independence Bowl
Payout: $1.2 million and they had a rep at our game yesterday

Hopefully looking at Tulane.

It’s a likely ACC opponent slot (last year was Temple v Duke) and a far better longtime bowl than almost all of the AAC bowl tie-ins; I’m not excited about Shreveport, either.
Dukie
All-American
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:26 am

I think we can do better although it would be better than Frisco.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 31339
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:50 am

Looks like the SEC has nine eligible teams* for 10 slots and those 10 slots do not count the playoff slots. So they’re at least two teams short?

* Missouri has enough wins but is banned *unless* they win an academic-ban appeal.
Dukie
All-American
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:05 pm

You’ve got to believe the 10 win season plus a top 25 ranking would keep us out of Frisco
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:22 pm

mtrout wrote:You’ve got to believe the 10 win season plus a top 25 ranking would keep us out of Frisco

No matter how great our season has been, there are three or four teams ahead of us in the selection process - especially with Central Florida's name recognition.

Considering the fact The American bowl affiliations blow I guess we will have to just wait and see...
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15499
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
mtrout wrote:You’ve got to believe the 10 win season plus a top 25 ranking would keep us out of Frisco

No matter how great our season has been, there are three or four teams ahead of us in the selection process - especially with Central Florida's name recognition.

Considering the fact The American bowl affiliations blow I guess we will have to just wait and see...

I'm trying to be positive here 8)

But yeah... per Sagarin we're 5th in the AAC.

In 2012, we played good A&M/Baylor/TCU teams in September. 3 losses. This year we play Texas State, North Texas, Arkansas State, and a down TCU team.

You can spin it however you want to but the 10 wins sure looks nice.
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm

TidePony wrote:Independence Bowl
Payout: $1.2 million and they had a rep at our game yesterday

I heard the Independence Bowl had a rep at Ford Stadium yesterday, but so did a couple of other bowls.
I hadn't heard Tempe mentioned as a possibility. I'd be alright with that!
User avatar
Hoofprint
All-American
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Dukie wrote:Looks like the SEC has nine eligible teams* for 10 slots and those 10 slots do not count the playoff slots. So they’re at least two teams short?

* Missouri has enough wins but is banned *unless* they win an academic-ban appeal.

They aren't winning their appeal, the NCAA already told them no (plus they just fired their coach).

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:No matter how great our season has been, there are three or four teams ahead of us in the selection process - especially with Central Florida's name recognition.

SMU is ahead of UCF. Better record plus better recognition in most of the country. Which name do you think carries more weight in LA and TX (or AZ or TN)? Once you get outside the CFP/NY6, it is about creating compelling match-ups and SMU fares well in many of those comparisons.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:39 pm

If we play some dumpy G5 program like UAB or whatever, I'm not going to bother buying a ticket. I hope we just boycott any garbage we get pitted with. Payoff is so low anyways that it's not even worth the hassle.
SMU Football --> get the extra practices in, play the FCS game and on to 2020.
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:55 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:If we play some dumpy G5 program like UAB or whatever, I'm not going to bother buying a ticket. I hope we just boycott any garbage we get pitted with. Payoff is so low anyways that it's not even worth the hassle.


But it is worth all of the extra practice time.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3218
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Fort Thomas, KY

Next

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Insane_Pony_Posse and 15 guests