PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl projections after week 14

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 pm

How much politicking goes on by our AD in this process? Do we really have a say in the process?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Fort Thomas, KY

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Dukie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Terry Webster wrote:How much politicking goes on by our AD in this process? Do we really have a say in the process?

Relationships and reputations and storylines all matter. Aresco needs to be doing a lot, too.
Dukie
All-American
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby ponyfan777 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:21 pm

I WANT TEXAS!!

Go Ponies!!
DeanO~
User avatar
ponyfan777
Varsity
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mr. pony » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm

smitty329 wrote:
mr. pony wrote:There are 30-something bowls.
How many 10-2 teams are there?

SMU does deserve a shot at a mid-level Big 12, SEC or Big 10 team.


Unfortunately that would require a 32 team playoff system.


No - it wouldn’t.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4513
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mr. pony » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:08 pm

How many people think this team would be fired up to play UAB in Frisco?

How many think they’d be fired up to play the game of their lives versus Texas in Houston?
Last edited by mr. pony on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4513
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby redpony » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Dukie wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:How much politicking goes on by our AD in this process? Do we really have a say in the process?

Relationships and reputations and storylines all matter. Aresco needs to be doing a lot, too.


Let's hope Aresco is doing his best to help. Not much confidence in our AD to do much. These players and coaches have worked too hard to end up 20 miles north in Frisco. They deserve a much better bowl with major national recognition where they can showcase their talent.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9734
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby WordUpBU » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 pm

mr. pony wrote:How many people think this team would be fired up to play UAB in Frisco?

How many think they’d be fired up to play the game of their lives versus Texas in Houston?


Texas isn’t lasting until Houston. They’ll be in the Alamo or Camping World.

However Okie State, ISU, or K-State would potentially be in Houston
User avatar
WordUpBU
Varsity
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 am

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mr. pony » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:48 pm

WordUpBU wrote:
mr. pony wrote:How many people think this team would be fired up to play UAB in Frisco?

How many think they’d be fired up to play the game of their lives versus Texas in Houston?


Texas isn’t lasting until Houston. They’ll be in the Alamo or Camping World.

However Okie State, ISU, or K-State would potentially be in Houston


Fine. Put SMU there.

**Texas isn’t “lasting” till Houston’s bowl? WTH does that mean? ... This shows UT - A&M possibly in that bowl. And the Aggies say NO.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/spo ... 2b6186ed50
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4513
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 pm

I would imagine the longhorns brass, doing everything they could to dodge a game with SMU. It would be perceived as....no upside for them.
User avatar
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10345
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:01 am
Location: GARLAND

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby mr. pony » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:I would imagine the longhorns brass, doing everything they could to dodge a game with SMU. It would be perceived as....no upside for them.


No doubt. Getting beat by Baylor, TCU AND SMU in the same season??
Bwahahahaha!
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4513
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby Donnell88 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Stallion wrote:ESPN owns and operates about 15 bowls including all AAC Bowls except the Military Bowl-they can broker a deal among any one of those bowls to get the best matchup for their schedule-so for example if they want to match pretty evenly matched schools they could send SMU to say Phoenix (Cheese-it Bowl which ESPN also owns) to play San Diego St (9-3) on a Friday Nite and leave the 6-6, Sunbelt and MAC schools to play on Monday through Wednesday nite. Brokered deals have happened on a regular basis. That's just an example, because it would be a decent matchup between 10-2 and 9-3 teams but they would want higher profile teams playing on certain nites. ESPN also owns the Texas Bowl which has been mentioned as a possible destination.

They are probably going to broker the Hawaii Bowl(if Hawaii loses MWC Championship) to let Hawaii in Hawaii bowl because that's technically a MWC or BYU v AAC Bowl-and BYU has technically already accepted the MWC or BYU slot. So MWC gets Hawaii Bowl in exchange for AAC sliding into the Phoenix Bowl could be a legitimate trade


Hi Stallion: Good to have you back; I've missed your post-game assessments.
Donnell88
Varsity
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:51 pm
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Bowl projections after week 14

Postby WordUpBU » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 am

mr. pony wrote:
WordUpBU wrote:
mr. pony wrote:How many people think this team would be fired up to play UAB in Frisco?

How many think they’d be fired up to play the game of their lives versus Texas in Houston?


Texas isn’t lasting until Houston. They’ll be in the Alamo or Camping World.

However Okie State, ISU, or K-State would potentially be in Houston


Fine. Put SMU there.

**Texas isn’t “lasting” till Houston’s bowl? WTH does that mean? ... This shows UT - A&M possibly in that bowl. And the Aggies say NO.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/spo ... 2b6186ed50


What it means is that the Big 12 Bowl selection order is as follows and UT will be taken before the bowl in Houston comes up to pick.

Playoff
Sugar
Other NY6 at large bids

Then you have the non-NY6 bowls who can pick any team left.

Alamo
Camping World
Texas
Liberty
CheezIt


I’m saying one of the two bowls before the Texas Bowl will pick UT. Once the two 11-1 teams are gone it’s four teams that are either 7-5 or 8-4 and all have the same league record of 5-4. Bevo gets picked due to their fanbase Vs OSU, KSU, or ISU by one of the two who get higher picks.


Also if A&M plays a Texas school in a bowl game that isn’t a New Years six bowl anytime soon I’ll be shocked. SEC office helps pick where their teams go (smart contract writing btw) and has avoided games Vs Tech, UT, and BU when they had chances to place A&M there.
User avatar
WordUpBU
Varsity
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 am

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 am

What it means is that the Big 12 Bowl selection order is as follows and UT will be taken before the bowl in Houston comes up to pick.

Playoff
Sugar
Other NY6 at large bids

Then you have the non-NY6 bowls who can pick any team left.

Alamo
Camping World
Texas
Liberty
CheezIt


I’m saying one of the two bowls before the Texas Bowl will pick UT. Once the two 11-1 teams are gone it’s four teams that are either 7-5 or 8-4 and all have the same league record of 5-4. Bevo gets picked due to their fanbase Vs OSU, KSU, or ISU by one of the two who get higher picks.


Also if A&M plays a Texas school in a bowl game that isn’t a New Years six bowl anytime soon I’ll be shocked. SEC office helps pick where their teams go (smart contract writing btw) and has avoided games Vs Tech, UT, and BU when they had chances to place A&M there.[/quote]


Which one of these schools would bring the most fans to the Texas Bowl, OSU, KSU, or ISU?
User avatar
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10345
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:01 am
Location: GARLAND

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby indianmustang » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am

next year we will have fenway bowl with ACC tieup
Mustang from India
User avatar
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:09 pm
Location: Irvine, CA, United States

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 am

Surprised we aren't starting to hear some strong rumors yet.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

PreviousNext

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Grider, Sewanee Stang and 16 guests