PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl projections after week 14

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl projections after week 14

Postby sbsmith » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 pm

ponyte wrote:How many seniors with a good chance of going to the NFL will sit out a bowl game? Any thoughts?

"Wide receiver Devin Duvernay and defensive back Brandon Jones — both of whom are among the exceptionally small Texas Longhorns senior class — both received and accepted invites to the Senior Bowl later this season. They also confirmed that they plan to play alongside their fellow Longhorns in whichever postseason bowl game for which Texas football eventually qualifies, along with senior defensive end Malcolm Roach, according to Joe Cook of Inside Texas and Kaelen Jones of The Athletic.

The other senior with strong NFL Draft prospects, wide receiver Collin Johnson, is currently recovering from a hamstring issue that caused him to miss the last two games and will result in him missing the regular-season finale against Texas Tech this Friday. Johnson didn’t participate in Tuesday’s media availability, but Duvernay believes that Johnson will play if he’s healthy."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/ ... ticipation
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 pm

If we get stuck in a lesser bowl it wont be the first time a 10-2 team was done that way.
:?
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:35 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:If it's in Frisco, let's send a message and just watch it on TV not buy any tickets. That oughta end that constant funneling.

This statement makes about zero sense.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Meadowsman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:50 pm

I was on the fence with going to Frisco out of spite from last time...After reading how it sounds in this forum, I’ll be there. I get it, but that is the epitome of a smug SMU fan attitude. Support the team and move forward. I will gladly buy my Frisco ticket and be there, would rather it be Shreveport, Memphis or Houston but I’m supporting where I can.
Meadowsman
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:18 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:If it's in Frisco, let's send a message and just watch it on TV not buy any tickets. That oughta end that constant funneling.

SMU student/alumni "entitlement syndrome".
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm

CP- maybe so, but I personally feel it is a major insult to the team and the school to be put into a very low level bowl just because we are in close proximity to it. This team has earned a much better placement and if our AD can't negotiate better location then perhaps he should be replaced.
redpony

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 pm

How much of bowl matching, especially for non p5 teams is done geographically?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm

redpony wrote:CP- maybe so, but I personally feel it is a major insult to the team and the school to be put into a very low level bowl just because we are in close proximity to it. This team has earned a much better placement and if our AD can't negotiate better location then perhaps he should be replaced.

I agree that it is unfortunate this team might have to suffer because they have so little fan support. Clearly not their doing and with the season they had, they should have enjoyed playing in front of a packed house in Ford every week, or at least during the 2nd half of the season once they had proven themselves. Like it or not, it's why Bevo and the larger public schools that enjoy more fan support are going to get the better games. That is our reality and I'm just happy these guys will get to play another game and have an opportunity to become the 1st team since the Pony Express of 1982 to win 11 games in a season.
Charleston Pony

Postby mr. pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:24 pm

redpony wrote:CP- maybe so, but I personally feel it is a major insult to the team and the school to be put into a very low level bowl just because we are in close proximity to it. This team has earned a much better placement and if our AD can't negotiate better location then perhaps he should be replaced.

I agree.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:00 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

I agree that it is unfortunate this team might have to suffer because they have so little fan support. Clearly not their doing and with the season they had, they should have enjoyed playing in front of a packed house in Ford every week, or at least during the 2nd half of the season once they had proven themselves

Guessing our home attendance the second half of this season was the largest since the SWC broke up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:40 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

SMU student/alumni "entitlement syndrome".

A condition that I accept for a team with 10 wins. I wouldn't say this if we were 7-5 even 8-4.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 am

MustangStealth wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:[quote="DanFreibergerForHeisman"]Surprised we aren't starting to hear some strong rumors yet.

Sadly more and more predictions I have read have us in Frisco.

If it's in Frisco, let's send a message and just watch it on TV not buy any tickets. That oughta end that constant funneling.

That's a good way to make sure no other bowl ever wants to invite us.[/quote]

Exactly
smupony94

Postby PonyLaw90 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:36 am

Simply put, this TEAM deserves our full support irrespective of the bowl. If it turns out to be Frisco, we should sell that place out. This senior class deserves our best.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby BUS » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:16 am

Go PonyLaw90.
Whenever, wherever and for how much it costs. It is great to be a Mustang right now.
Stand up and be counted.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl
Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas
7:30 p.m., Dec. 20, ESPN2
Bonagura: SMU vs. Florida Atlantic
Schlabach: Tulane vs. Toledo

Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl