PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Random Mustang Band Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Random Mustang Band Question

Postby Dukie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:28 pm

So what's the new song that they're playing occasionally that is clearly a fight song of some sort but is not Peruna, Pony Battle Cry, or the SMU Loyalty Song? They played it in the second quarter against Tulane.
Dukie
Heisman

Re: Random Mustang Band Question

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Mighty Mustang Thunder

It was commissioned around the time of Ford being opened (maybe a couple years later) and was unpopular and shelved.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:25 pm

MustangStealth wrote:Mighty Mustang Thunder

It was commissioned around the time of Ford being opened (maybe a couple years later) and was unpopular and shelved.
So what's the beat and tune the band grinds
Away at long after most are gone. Mostly percussion and everybody's sings?
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:37 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:

That's probably Shanty Town
https://youtu.be/ZS23rfYeVqo
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:47 pm

Why did they bring that one back? It's horrible!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:17 pm

malonish wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:

That's it thanks for the lesson.
What is the history and meaning
One Trick Pony

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:25 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

Why did they bring that one back? It's horrible!

That is the consensus, not very good. And another issue was why do we need another fight song?

We have:
Peruna (4 versions)
Loyalty Song and
Pony Battle

I think that is plenty of fight songs.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:37 pm

I think MMT is a great song for when/where it is being used. Puts some "spunk" at the start and involves ALL spirit groups in a well choreographed routine. If you went to all 6 home games you only heard it 6 times. That doesn't infringe on our traditional stuff. Wish our fans would sing the fight song with the enthusiasm of the football team but I guess the "clap" is more reserve (SMU style). Maybe if they knew the words? Put'em on the scoreboard next season.
Bergermeister

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:22 am

We used Mighty Mustangs Thunder in our Nationals routine this past year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQOV1si_18
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:18 am

Bergermeister wrote:I think MMT is a great song for when/where it is being used. Puts some "spunk" at the start and involves ALL spirit groups in a well choreographed routine. If you went to all 6 home games you only heard it 6 times. That doesn't infringe on our traditional stuff. Wish our fans would sing the fight song with the enthusiasm of the football team but I guess the "clap" is more reserve (SMU style). Maybe if they knew the words? Put'em on the scoreboard next season.

It's not sung, I suspect, that because Peruna is a variation of "She'll be comin' round the Mountain", the actual words are almost the same except "she's loaded with Peruna" then add in "when she comes" and well a drunk girl... , you get the picture. So, the lyrics have become somewhat dated. Clapping is fine.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:36 am

EastStang wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:I think MMT is a great song for when/where it is being used. Puts some "spunk" at the start and involves ALL spirit groups in a well choreographed routine. If you went to all 6 home games you only heard it 6 times. That doesn't infringe on our traditional stuff. Wish our fans would sing the fight song with the enthusiasm of the football team but I guess the "clap" is more reserve (SMU style). Maybe if they knew the words? Put'em on the scoreboard next season.

It's not sung, I suspect, that because Peruna is a variation of "She'll be comin' round the Mountain", the actual words are almost the same except "she's loaded with Peruna" then add in "when she comes" and well a drunk girl... , you get the picture. So, the lyrics have become somewhat dated. Clapping is fine.

Fans could sing Pony Battle Cry though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Yeah I don't hate it just didn't recognize it. I remember it from that Kansas game now. I never ever hear them play the Loyalty Song; I wouldn't know it existed if it weren't for the band CDs from a while back.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby malonish » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:07 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
malonish wrote:
That's it thanks for the lesson.
What is the history and meaning

http://p2.smu.edu/band/traditions.html

The Band has had many outstanding arrangers in its history. Bob Farrar created many fine arrangements during the 1940's and 1950's. Doug Williamson wrote voluminously for the band during the late 1950's and throughout the 1960's and 1970's. The rendition of Shanty Town that the band concludes each performance with is one of his ingenious creations. But we could not mention arrangers without including our beloved Jack Rohr. Jack was a member of the band and the student arranger when he attended SMU during the 1940's, and was the Assistant Director and Staff Arranger from 1962-1981. Jack contributed so much to the band, including Pony Battle Cry, Mod Peruna, and Dial "M" for Mustangs, not to mention dozens of years writing music for Pigskin Revue.

Lyrics in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10754&start=0#wrap
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby White Helmet » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Dukie wrote:

Yeah I don't hate it just didn't recognize it. I remember it from that Kansas game now. I never ever hear them play the Loyalty Song; I wouldn't know it existed if it weren't for the band CDs from a while back.

Mustangs Thunder wasn’t commissioned until the second season in Ford 2001. It wasn’t played at the Kansas game.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Does the band have anything in the budget to go to Boca?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Next

Return to Football