PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Dykes Selected As Finalist For Eddie Robinson Award

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:48 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

DALLAS (FWAA/SMU) – Head coach Sonny Dykes was named one of nine finalists for the 2019 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award by the Football Writers Association in conjunction with the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

In his second season on the Hilltop, the Mustangs posted their first ten-win season since 1984 and just their sixth in program history. The 6-0 perfect home season was the first since 1968 and the 6-2 conference record was the best since going 6-2 and winning the Conference USA West Division Title in 2010.

For the first time since 2011, SMU had nine all-conference selections, led by unanimous first-team selection James Proche. Shane Buechele, Xavier Jones and Patrick Nelson were also selected to the first time, while Kylen Granson, Jaylon Thomas, Rodney Clemons, Delontae Scott and CJ Sanders earned second-team accolades.

Three Mustangs were named semifinalists for national position awards including Proche (Biletnikoff), Buechele (Davey O'Brien) and Jones (Doak Walker), while Buechele was also a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award, which honors the collegiate player of the year. All three Mustangs are semifinalists for the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award.

The Mustangs are sixth nationally in scoring offense (43.0, currently a school record), ninth in total offense (495.3, school record) and 12th in passing offense (309.3, second all-time at the school), while the defense set school records with 50 sacks (2nd NCAA) and 105 tackles for loss (4th NCAA).

Dykes was also a semifinalist for the George Munger Coach of the Year Award and is on watch lists for the Paul "Bear" Bryant and Dodd Trophy Coach of the Year Awards.

The 2019 recipient will be announced on Friday, Dec. 20, with the official presentation reception taking place on Jan. 11 in New Orleans where the winning coach will be handed the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year bust during a reception hosted by the Allstate Sugar Bowl in conjunction with the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Finalists
Ryan Day, Ohio State
Eliah Drinkwitz, Appalachian State
Sonny Dykes, SMU
P.J. Fleck, Minnesota
Bryan Harsin, Boise State
Mike Norvell, Memphis
Ed Orgeron, LSU
Matt Rhule, Baylor
Dabo Swinney, Clemson
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sonny Dykes Selected As Finalist For Eddie Robinson Awar

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 am

IMO he deserves this award. I believe he has made a bigger turnaround in our program than any of the other coaches being considered. Two years is almost unheard of
redpony

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:03 am

Matt Rhule did just as fast, and went farther, with a much more difficult road ahead of him. Of course I want Sonny to win but I personally see about 3 or 4 I would have to put ahead of him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:13 am

I don't argue about rhule except that I simply despise 'rape U' Also most of these coaches didn't inherit a program as devoid of talent as we had. i.e. Ohio St. was loaded, etc.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:22 am

I would vote Rhule, Fleck, and then tie between Sonny and Orgeron. I. Include Orgeron because of his great assistant hires that put LSU a rung higher than they already were.

I cannot exclude a coaching performance because I do not like the school.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Football