PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

To SID: 'A' band or 'The' Band?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: To SID: 'A' band or 'The' Band?

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:54 pm

If I hit the powerball tomorrow I’ll send the whole band first class just so redpony will shut up. Absent that, maybe some rich band alum can “Pony Up” and foot the bill?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:02 am

I have seen nowhere that the whole band is not going other than the possibility that finals may prohibit some from attending which is not the fault of the athletic department, and is an unavoidable shame.

But just like the Frisco panic, let’s get all hyped up and blame the entire football program during what should be a celebratory time for our young men.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Arkpony » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:09 am

mrydel wrote:I have seen nowhere that the whole band is not going other than the possibility that finals may prohibit some from attending which is not the fault of the athletic department, and is an unavoidable shame.

But just like the Frisco panic, let’s get all hyped up and blame the entire football program during what should be a celebratory time for our young men.

Yes
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby dalpony » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:05 am

Totally Agree
dalpony
Varsity

Postby BUS » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:12 am

Mark is spot on.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby TidePony » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:55 am

mrydel wrote:I have seen nowhere that the whole band is not going other than the possibility that finals may prohibit some from attending which is not the fault of the athletic department, and is an unavoidable shame.

TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU#92 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Nailed it.
SMU#92
Scout Team

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Don't the football players have the same finals? I mean, that sort of is the point of being a college team. If accommodation can be made for them, then I'm sure the band can be accommodated as well.

If we are throwing money into the team for the bowl game, we should send everything we've got, band, cheerleaders, Peruna, and anything else we can get in red, white and blue. We finance football to essentially be an advertisement for the university. If we only do it half way, then why are we bothering at all? It's not a good look. If that's the case (and I'm not saying it is, but IF it is) then maybe should review our athletic budget and expenditures. I have loved watching this season and of course would like more, but if we're going to waste this shot, what's the point of the exercise at all?
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:If we are throwing money into the team for the bowl game, we should send everything we've got, band, cheerleaders, Peruna, and anything else we can get in red, white and blue.

Don't forget the poms!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:22 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Greenwich Pony wrote:If we are throwing money into the team for the bowl game, we should send everything we've got, band, cheerleaders, Peruna, and anything else we can get in red, white and blue.

Don't forget the poms!

Cheer and pom are going.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby malonish » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Hawaii 2012 was a skeleton band because of impossibility to get flights.

This is mainland US. Flights are easy. Should be able to get it done logistically. Could even fly to anywhere in the south half of Florida and bus over. Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood, and Miami airports are right there. Boca Raton is 2 hours from Orlando Melbourne.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:01 am

Greenwich Pony wrote:Don't the football players have the same finals? I mean, that sort of is the point of being a college team. If accommodation can be made for them, then I'm sure the band can be accommodated as well.

As I said in another thread, yes and I have taken tests and finals early for stuff like this due to being in the band.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:18 am

One of the real questions is whether or not this bowl pays enough to even cover the cost of the football team???? I have questioned this in the past, including the JJ years, if a lesser bowl pay out even allows a team to break even. I have never seen any figures to even analyze this question. If there is enough money to cover the football costs, then the band and cheer types should be part of the package. My cynical instinct is that a school ends up picking up all additional and residual cost beyond those covered by the bowl pay out. The question then becomes: how many $$$$$ are needed of bowl payout for a school to participate and break even? ( I know, every situation is different, but must be factored by each participating school.) Can a school break even if the payout is less than $1.5 million? Should a school participate in a bowl that has an insufficient pay out to cover a school's costs?? Is a school acting responsibly knowing it may need to supplement bowl participation by spending hundreds of thousands of dollars just to participate????....ie ( buying up the residual of required ticket sales quotas.) Why does football get highly preferential treatment over all other sports and actual school activities?
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horsemanx » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:01 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Why does football get highly preferential treatment over all other sports and actual school activities?

Are the additional bowl costs hidden somehow to avoid Title IX issues?
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:16 pm

The real question is, would our fans still complain if we were playing in the national championship? It appears the answer is a resounding yes.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football