PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

is this worth worrying about?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

is this worth worrying about?

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:01 am

I know this could be on the recruiting page...but should we be worried?

The Dallas Morning News - By Sam Blum
Dec 16, 2019

As early signing day approaches, SMU is still looking for its first big Dallas-area commit
Recruiting is always a fluid situation, but SMU still has many steps to take before their 2020 class can be called complete. As of Monday afternoon, however, the committed players for the Class of 2020 only include two commitments from Dallas-area high school players. Both committed in June. As a whole, SMU’s current recruiting class only has 12 players. It is ranked No. 92 in the nation by 247Sports, out of 130 teams. It is ranked ninth in the 12-team AAC. Only three “Power-6” schools have fewer than 12 commits. It’s also possible that SMU is limiting its intake of high school commits because coaches feel as though the transfer portal will bring continued success next year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... ea-commit/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: is this worth worrying about?

Postby Dukie » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 am

Dukie
Heisman

Postby 82Pony » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:46 am

No. Coaches feel it is better to try for transfer portal talent than risk a 4-5 year scholarship on a kid they are not sure about. Of course they would love to fill the class with highly touted high school players but reaching for DITRs is bad odds.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:58 am

Small class because they are aiming high.

When you have high 3 and 4 star athletes looking to transfer in, it doesn't make any sense to reach on any players.

They have offers out to the players they like and will fill the rest with transfers.

Pay more attention to average ranking than the total rank. It gives you a better idea of where we are at.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks Guys...I've heard Sam Blum is no homer...so a more negative picture is no surprise coming from him.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:19 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I thought I read somewhere that Dykes wants to start focusing on high school recruiting as much as he liked the transfer portal. However, the recent news suggest otherwise.

Some of those decisions are driven by the experience on the roster - such as the desire to take a transfer RB and WR this year.

However, for the most part, if we have the opportunity to take a high end 3 star player out of HS, we are going to take them over a transfer.

Because of the early nature of today's recruiting cycle, the buzz we generated this season and will have going into next year with a returning QB, the WR core is going to impact next year's class more than this year's.

With the TCU WR flip, if we have a really strong bowl performance I would anticipate a preseason top 25 ranking next season.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 pm

You are dreaming if you hope SMU will get a preseason ranking. Heck even if Memphis beats Penn State 55-0 the voters will look for any excuse to keep them out of the top 10 and even more reasons to keep them from the preseason poll. We need more AAC power brokers in position to influence the narrative.
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:13 pm

mustangxc wrote:You are dreaming if you hope SMU will get a preseason ranking. Heck even if Memphis beats Penn State 55-0 the voters will look for any excuse to keep them out of the top 10 and even more reasons to keep them from the preseason poll. We need more AAC power brokers in position to influence the narrative.

UCF was #17 in the preseason so it's possible. I agree that a G5 will never be allowed in the preseason top 10 hell even a perfect record won't get you there.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Memphis won't be top ten but I could certainly see both them and us in the 20-25 range.

As for the numbers for this class, don't forget that most likely they will hold a few scholarships to reward a couple walkons from last year's massive walkon class.

If I were to guess, I think we end up with around 15 or so, then 3 walk-on graduates, and then 9 transfers.
JasonB

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:49 pm

JasonB wrote:If I were to guess, I think we end up with around 15 or so, then 3 walk-on graduates, and then 9 transfers.

JasonB....I am sure it varies year to year, player to player, and according to need....but would you guess they like to go after transfers where maybe half of them can play immediately Fall 2020? Don't we need DB's immediately?
Last edited by Insane_Pony_Posse on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:50 pm

We also have three grey shirts from last year
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Have a great bowl showing and we might end the year in top 25 or at least getting a lot of votes. Great momentum heading into the spring and transfer portal. Lose and no preseason votes at all for us IMHO.

Need some stud defensive recruits out of the portal. 2 DT, Safety, LB, maybe a corner.
ojaipony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 pm

JasonB wrote:Pay more attention to average ranking than the total rank. It gives you a better idea of where we are at.

Top 3 in the AAC so far on that basis. Plenty of P5 offers for some of those early signees. Sure looks like Buechele will have planety of talented WRs to throw to next year.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:06 am

ojaipony wrote:Have a great bowl showing and we might end the year in top 25 or at least getting a lot of votes. Great momentum heading into the spring and transfer portal. Lose and no preseason votes at all for us IMHO.

Need some stud defensive recruits out of the portal. 2 DT, Safety, LB, maybe a corner.

Our bowl game is a “must win” game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:46 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
JasonB wrote:If I were to guess, I think we end up with around 15 or so, then 3 walk-on graduates, and then 9 transfers.

JasonB....I am sure it varies year to year, player to player, and according to need....but would you guess they like to go after transfers where maybe half of them can play immediately Fall 2020? Don't we need DB's immediately?

From an immediate need perspective:
QB - no need
WR - no need
TE - no need
RB - 3 young, unproven players on the roster. I would expect to add someone with experience
OL - Already added a JUCO and 6 more frosh and have a bunch of grey/redshirts. We are done here.
DE - Coxe is a starter on one side. If the staff thinks Paul or Wiley are major pieces, then you don't need anything. Otherwise you bring one in and let the youth develop. Probably one GT.
DT - Again, good young depth. Brought in one JUCO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a GT.
LB - Robinson really looked goo this year. Are McBride AND Moore coming back? Still a lot of uncertainty there. Lots of unproven youth. I would expect a GT to play the Star position if one of McBride or Moore are not coming back.
CB - Stephens and Armani are both back and very good. How does the staff feel about Westfall? Guy-Robinson is a backup, outside of that not lots of experience. We need more numbers, but I think we are looking at FR and not GT unless the staff has soured on Westfall. Keke might shift here.
S -I think we are set here. Two transfers last year and they love the young players.

So, I think we are looking at RB, DT, DE, LB, CB (iffy), K/P from an immediate play GT perspective.

Then add 3 or 4 other transfers who are younger and will sit out a year. You could very well see our HS recruiting numbers stay at 12 or so and then take several more transfers in this category.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football