PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2020 Defensive Backfield

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2020 Defensive Backfield

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Anyone have inside insight about how the defensive backfield depth chart might play out in 2020? I'm particularly interested in the roles that Chevin Calloway, Cam'ron Jones, and Treveon Johnson might play. All three are high-talent guys that didn't factor into things a ton in 2019. And, as the year went on, defensive backfield play got a little more suspect. Would seem the door opened for them a bit more, coupled with Clemons finishing eligibility.

Thoughts?
DC-Pony
Varsity

Re: 2020 Defensive Backfield

Postby Donnell88 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:17 pm

My initial thought is that the defensive backfield would perform a lot better if we scrapped the 3-man pass rush and brought some heat on the opposing passer. It's not necessarily about "sacks", rather it's applying pressure before their quarterback gets too comfortable.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Calloway, Jones, Johnson, Clay, Roberson, and Cromartie are a very solid crew. Lots of talent back there. As a result, I expect that Denbow will move back to the Star position and that one of these players will move there as well. More I think about it, Jones can hit, I wonder if he is the player who slides into the Nelson role.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby White Helmet » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Donnell88 wrote:My initial thought is that the defensive backfield would perform a lot better if we scrapped the 3-man pass rush and brought some heat on the opposing passer. It's not necessarily about "sacks", rather it's applying pressure before their quarterback gets too comfortable.

Of course SMU is second in the country for sacks. 1st on a per game basis.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 am

Denbow needs to be moved back to LB. He can't cover as a safety. Memphis tore him apart.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football