PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fifth straight blowout in season finale

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fifth straight blowout in season finale

Postby Donnell88 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:48 pm

2015: 63-0 loss at Memphis. 2016: 75-31 home loss to Navy. 2017: 51-10 loss to Louisiana Tech (a team who lost 57-21 to Mississippi State).

2018: A 27-24 loss to Tulsa, a team who came into the game with a 2-9 record.

And now this: defence surrenders 521 yards and 30 first downs. A missed field goal. Thirty-four rushes for 86 yards on offence. Nine bonehead penalties. Allowing 14 points in the final minute of the first half. A double reverse that a Pop Warner team could execute without fumbling.

It's beyond pathetic.
Donnell88
All-American

Re: Fifth straight blowout in season finale

Postby HorsePower » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:03 pm

???

We're all frustrated, but it makes zero sense to lump those 5 games together. Not 1 coach or player was on all 5.

Time for a cold beer and a deep breath. And another beer.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Donnell88 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:32 pm

HorsePower wrote:???

We're all frustrated, but it makes zero sense to lump those 5 games together. Not 1 coach or player was on all 5.

You have a valid point, although I'm not the only one who dwells on past records. Network broadcasts invariably say in the opening moments phrases like Ohio State has beaten Michigan in eight of their last 10 meetings....
Donnell88
All-American

Postby HorsePower » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Fair points (Ohio State/Michigan). Sorry if I came across as combative. Not the intent. Had about a dozen PonyFans over and we're still chewing over the game. Thank god for beer.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Beer is good at times like this
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:33 pm

HorsePower wrote:Fair points (Ohio State/Michigan). Sorry if I came across as combative. Not the intent. Had about a dozen PonyFans over and we're still chewing over the game. Thank god for beer.

No offence taken; we're all suffering right now, especially after watching our team start 8-0.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:57 pm

And who did we beat to go 8-0
And don’t say TCU... they’re horrible this year.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Timothythegreat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:54 am

HorsePower wrote:???

Your response is the one that makes zero sense. The signing class of 2015 was there for all five of those games. The class of 2016 has been there for four, 2017 for three. There's plenty of continuity here to say that it's pretty systemic within the culture and seems to be getting passed On down to each successive class.

Are you suggesting that simply because players redshirted in 2015 and were therefore unable to participate in each and every season ending blowout loss that there is no discernible trend? The class of 2015 has been blown out at the end of each season..but that's not a trend? That's like saying "we aren't WRU because of the number of receivers we put in the NFL. It's only one or so every couple of years. You can't tie
Those events together because there have been different coaches and players here during that time span."

in the last five years we have learned that SMU sucks at finishing seasons and not being able To see that is cognitive dissonance. I'm sorry, I do not mean to be critical and attack you, I just disagree with this thought you posted and it's implications.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby Timothythegreat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:35 am

Pony81 wrote:And who did we beat to go 8-0
And don’t say TCU... they’re horrible this year.

Untrue. TCU went 5-7, losing 5 of those 7 to OU, Baylor, KSU, SMU, and Ok state by a single possession. I'd like for us to be that horrible some day. They were arguably a quarterback away from making a run at the conference.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Return to Football