PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stop it

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Stop it

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:56 am

I am disappointed we lost yesterday, too. It wasn’t our day & we stunk. However, I wouldn’t say our team doesn’t care, or the coach shouldn’t have gotten an extension. If you say our team doesn’t care, shame on you. We would’ve lost more games if that were true rather than having some great come from behind wins. If the young men on our team didn’t care we wouldn’t have played in a bowl game yesterday. The fact is none of us on this board even dreamed we’d have the season we did this year. We had this season because of our coach and the determination of the players on our team. I’m happy , especially for the seniors, that our team finally had a season they have probably dreamed of since they started SMU.
We all need to be, and should be, excited to see what the next few seasons hold for us. Rather than complaining we should all be happy we had a season to celebrate....finally!
Merry Christmas.
User avatar
soccermom
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:48 am
Location: League City, Tx

Re: Stop it

Postby SMU89 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:03 am

^^^^^

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
User avatar
SMU89
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5209
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Stop it

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:35 am

Bingo. We are on a path that I’m proud of. What a fun season. Next year when we crack the Top 25 and hover in the low teens, the talk won’t be about 35 years of futility and death penalty. It will be about the team and recent success.
PonyLaw90
Varsity
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: Stop it

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:52 am

Really! This was a season that exceeded any realistic person's expectations. We lost 3 road games to some pretty good teams and we beat both TCU and Houston on the road. Get over it.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 19909
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Stop it

Postby BUS » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 am

Stop it.... I am bummed but very happy with progress.
Let's do better next year.
Merry Christmas
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Richardson, Tx usa

Re: Stop it

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 am

Preach it mom!!!!!!!!!
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 31402
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: Stop it

Postby Paladin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:37 am

I agree with Soccermom, this was an enjoyable season and I'm glad we are where we are (despite Bowl loss).

At least now we know what Cheribundi is, and can rest easy in the fact that former comedian Tom Arnold has gotten his life together and is now the CEO (for those of us who watched on television...)
User avatar
Paladin
All-American
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:57 pm
Location: Grapevine, TX

Re: Stop it

Postby mr. pony » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 am

Good grief. This ain’t high school.

This team sucked down the final stretch.
And it’s OK to say that - and to suggest reasons for it.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4533
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Stop it

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:18 am

Thre disappointment is legit, but if this team didn't care we're not in the Boca Raton Bowl, because we wouldn't have beaten TCU, Houston or Tulsa, at least. When both teams care, only one can win, and god knows we've been on the short end enough. Great season and looking forward to 2020.
User avatar
Hoofprint
All-American
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Stop it

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:29 pm

mr. pony wrote:Good grief. This ain’t high school.

This team sucked down the final stretch.
And it’s OK to say that - and to suggest reasons for it.


Agree. Good year but we’re still 3rd in our division. Celebrate the small victories but let’s at least win our division before we start talking too much.
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Stop it

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Well said!
User avatar
SMU Pom Mom
Varsity
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Stop it

Postby ojaipony » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:40 pm

We overachieved this year. We got a taste. Now, let's turn this into motivation for next year. We are going to need Reggie to stay healthy, find a running back (or 2) and a defense. An entire defense. And I will, as always, be rooting hard for my team. Pony Up!!!
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8199
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Stop it

Postby Texasscout96 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:19 am

The truth is that we can’t be happy with the season. The coaches and players dropped the ball when the games mattered the most. And just because you win 10 games doesn’t make it ok to go into a bowl game and get whipped by an FAU team missing its 6 best players.

Another thought... in the Memphis game which had a ton of bragging rights and possibly a conference championship on the line, they played horrible. The defense couldn’t cover the Memphis WRs at all in that game.

To me that is a lack of desire and poor coaching.
SMU Grad 1996 - Worked in SMU athletic recruiting office under Forrest Gregg and Bill Weidner from 1992-1997.
Texasscout96
Junior Varsity
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Stop it

Postby ozfan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:00 am

soccermom wrote:I am disappointed we lost yesterday, too. It wasn’t our day & we stunk. However, I wouldn’t say our team doesn’t care, or the coach shouldn’t have gotten an extension. If you say our team doesn’t care, shame on you. We would’ve lost more games if that were true rather than having some great come from behind wins. If the young men on our team didn’t care we wouldn’t have played in a bowl game yesterday. The fact is none of us on this board even dreamed we’d have the season we did this year. We had this season because of our coach and the determination of the players on our team. I’m happy , especially for the seniors, that our team finally had a season they have probably dreamed of since they started SMU.
We all need to be, and should be, excited to see what the next few seasons hold for us. Rather than complaining we should all be happy we had a season to celebrate....finally!
Merry Christmas.


Very sane post.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Stop it

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:26 am

Texasscout96 wrote:The truth is that we can’t be happy with the season. The coaches and players dropped the ball when the games mattered the most. And just because you win 10 games doesn’t make it ok to go into a bowl game and get whipped by an FAU team missing its 6 best players.

Another thought... in the Memphis game which had a ton of bragging rights and possibly a conference championship on the line, they played horrible. The defense couldn’t cover the Memphis WRs at all in that game.

To me that is a lack of desire and poor coaching.

I respectfully disagree. That's not to suggest we should be satisfied. I'm not, and I assume most other PonyFans aren't, either.

But anyone who remembers seasons with 1 or 2 wins -- or 0-12 -- can not be anything but happy. Not satisfied, after the egg laid in Boca Raton, but this season was a hell of a lot of fun.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
User avatar
DallasDiehard
Heisman
 
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Next

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests