PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stop it

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Stop it

Postby PonySnob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:34 am

But if the team is going to give such a [deleted] effort in a bowl game, can anybody blame the fans for not wanting to buy tickets to bowl games?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Stop it

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 am

I'm going to give my full thoughts in a different thread, but I understand both perspectives.

Having traveled to the game, I was disappointed that things ended up somewhat similar to the Frisco Bowl. I am wary that the team has under-performed a bit under the spotlights - Frisco, Tulsa, Memphis, Navy, Boca.

That said, I really enjoyed seeing everyone there, spending time with people, and celebrating this season and everything that came with it. The team and staff were pissed off that they lost that game. They went there with every intention to win. It wasn't a lack of effort or prep. They got outplayed by a team that prepared for SMU, watered the field, and took advantage of every weakness. Good on them.

I'm disappointed in the game, for sure. But still very appreciative of the team and this coaching staff for giving the program a path forward. And I'll be there next year, regardless.
JasonB

Postby TidePony » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:36 am

We went as well, and what a great turn out by SMU fans! We had a super time in Boca (except for the game and the food at the tailgate - eewww!). It was a wonderful destination for a Bowl game. I’ve been to some terrible ones! El Paso and the Sun Bowl in 1983 was BRUTAL!

Hopefully, we will learn from our mistakes and won’t be outplayed and out coached in the next one. Don’t get me started on our 1st down trap play... $#%#*!!! Our band and spirits squads deserve a HUGE shout out! They represented us well.

Thank you Mustangs for 10 wins!

On to bigger and better things next year (our home schedule is fantastic!) and PonyUp!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Agree! We may have a long-term coach like TCU has with Patterson.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby PonySnob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:55 pm

SMU really seems to be struggling with the away game tailgates. All kinds of problems with the one in Memphis as it ran out of alcohol twice. If you go to one, definitely need to brink a flask.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mathman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:26 pm

soccermom wrote:I am disappointed we lost yesterday, too. It wasn’t our day & we stunk. However, I wouldn’t say our team doesn’t care, or the coach shouldn’t have gotten an extension. If you say our team doesn’t care, shame on you. We would’ve lost more games if that were true rather than having some great come from behind wins. If the young men on our team didn’t care we wouldn’t have played in a bowl game yesterday. The fact is none of us on this board even dreamed we’d have the season we did this year. We had this season because of our coach and the determination of the players on our team. I’m happy , especially for the seniors, that our team finally had a season they have probably dreamed of since they started SMU.
We all need to be, and should be, excited to see what the next few seasons hold for us. Rather than complaining we should all be happy we had a season to celebrate....finally!
Merry Christmas.

Couldn't have said it better. Hope your Christmas was great and you and yours have a Happy New Year.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby Topper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Soccermom is right on point. I really enjoyed this past season. Had more fun than anytime since the DP. There were enough thrilling last possession moments to make the games interesting and fun and we came out on top more often than not. Are we satisfied? I don't think that it is a question of satisfaction. In athletics we always want to strive harder to be better. Of course we wish that we could have won 14 games culminating in a national championship. Didn't happen, but that doesn't mean that we didn't have a better than expected season. I am hopeful that we have a coach who is successful enough not to be fired and happy enough with SMU to stay put for many years.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football