PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny to Baylor?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny to Baylor?

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:40 pm

leopold wrote: We don't want to admit this, but Baylor is in the driver's seat here, at least for the most part.

SMU_Alum11 wrote:It's great that Dykes has always talked about how much he loves Dallas but money talks. P5 talks. If there was a job for him to jump to, Baylor would make sense.

leopold and SMU_Alum11 are right!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby White Helmet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:43 pm

Pretty sure all the Baylor folks were talking last week about how much Rhule loved that job and his family there, blah blah blah... Money and opportunity talk, particularly in this profession.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:07 pm

We can only hope that the contract extension Sonny was offered was agreed to and was competitive enough to discourage him from looking at the Baylor job...or that we at least have some pretty stiff buyout penalties that Baylor would have to pay to get him. I agree with those who have pointed out the obvious competitive disadvantage SMU has because we are not in a P5 conference so we should always worry about losing our coaches when they are successful here.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:We can only hope that the contract extension Sonny was offered was agreed to and was competitive enough to discourage him from looking at the Baylor job...or that we at least have some pretty stiff buyout penalties that Baylor would have to pay to get him.

The Carolina Painters paid Baylor a $6M buyout for Rhule so I am pretty sure Baylor wouldn't be worried one bit about any buyout we might have for Sonny.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:13 pm

soccermom wrote:I really believe Sonny loves being here. I don’t see him leaving now. I hope I’m right.

I think you're right SM . Sonny and family love it here and that means more to him than P5 ans $$$$
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:46 pm

I would be surprised if this was the in-state school he left for.
If Tech or Texas opens up and we keep winning like we did this season, then I'd be concerned.
skyscraper

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:15 pm

Snicker
One Trick Pony

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:07 pm

I doubt if Sonny will leave SMU. He isn't even the top candidate at Baylor to replace Rhule. But money talks. He has a good chance to be the best head coach SMU has ever had.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:15 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
JasonB wrote:Sonny loves Dallas and loves what he has going here at SMU.

Nobody who loves Dallas and living in Highland Park would ever consider living in Waco.

Consider the risk factor as well - he can stay at SMU and win 9-11 games per year for the next 20 years, earning 3-5M per season.

Baylor had a great run this season in a very weak Big 12. Big chance of taking a step back next season. It is a 3-5 year ob where at the end you either get fired or you move on to a different position. And you still don't end up back in Dallas.

I think he stays here as long as he has the support of the administration.

Wasn't that the same logic for Chad? He lived in HP. His kid went to HP. His family seem to enjoy Dallas. He would have a cool seat with a 7-9 win seasons.
It's great that Dykes has always talked about how much he loves Dallas but money talks. P5 talks. If there was a job for him to jump to, Baylor would make sense. Texas is way too hot. Tech isn't close by like Waco would be.

I hope he stays and keeps the recruiting machine going but Baylor must have received a very nice buyout when Rhule took that extension and can go out and get whoever they want. Sadly, the market isn't super open.

They might take a shot at Cincy's Fickell (that's the hope). They would be dumb to go after any MWC team or arky state. Maybe they might consider Urban? I'm sure he would love to jump back in.

Huge difference between Chad and Sonny. We all knew Chad was using SMU as a stepping stone for a P5 job. He was probably working on the next job from the moment he arrived on the hilltop.

Sonny has already had a P5 Job. He knows what that entails and I am not so sure that he is eager to step into a P5 job where there is really nowhere to go but down.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Blvd_Stang » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:43 pm

I think deep down we all hope that we can have sustained success and he becomes our Gary Patterson. After all, he did spend a year learning from him.

I have this gut feeling that his vision is to stick around, build something special here and help get us into a P5.

But maybe I am just woefully optimistic.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby BIGHORSE » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:03 pm

I wonder if Chad McMorris wishes he had made the deal with Baylor?
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby bubba pony » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:36 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:I wonder if Chad McMorris wishes he had made the deal with Baylor?

My memory is Chad wanted a clause that stated he could leave for A&M with no financial penalty. Thereafter, Baylor stopped pursuing Chad.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm

bubba pony wrote:Chad wanted a clause that stated he could leave for A&M with no financial penalty.

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read!! #FullTiltBoogie
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby BIGHORSE » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:39 pm

bubba pony wrote:
BIGHORSE wrote:I wonder if Chad McMorris wishes he had made the deal with Baylor?

My memory is Chad wanted a clause that stated he could leave for A&M with no financial penalty. Thereafter, Baylor stopped pursuing Chad.

How stupid on his part. :roll:
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ClassOf81 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:53 pm

If Baylor steals SD, I'll hate that place even more than I do now, which i never would have imagined was possible.
ClassOf81
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football