PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny to Baylor?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny to Baylor?

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:25 am

Think BU will go after Sonny? Got their last coach from an AAC team. Bigger buck$. P5.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sonny to Baylor?

Postby leopold » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am

No. He needs to prove himself a little longer before someone takes a chance on him.

Napier from Louisiana will get a look, and I think Gene Chizik, who wants back into coaching, will as well.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 am

Bergermeister wrote: Sonny to Baylor?

God Berger I hope not!
Baylor is an attractive job
Go thru scandal & change coaches & still bounce back strong quickly
New stadium
Decent attendance averaging around 45K
Better conference
Better players
More money for coach and assistants
P5
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby docabel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 am

Their players and AD really like their assistant HC Joey McGuire. Would be a big gamble on someone with no college head coaching experience though...
docabel
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:13 am

Bergermeister wrote:Think BU will go after Sonny?

He was in the hunt last time they had an opening. Mack Rhoades also interviewed Sonny for openings at Houston and Missouri.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby docabel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am

docabel
Heisman

Postby soccermom » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:30 am

I really believe Sonny loves being here. I don’t see him leaving now. I hope I’m right.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Bergermeister wrote: Sonny to Baylor?

God Berger I hope not!
Baylor is an attractive job
Go thru scandal & change coaches & still bounce back strong quickly
New stadium
Decent attendance averaging around 45K
Better conference
Better players
More money for coach and assistants
P5

Plus a school administration that will let you do whatever you want even if it is illegal.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Yikes - definitely a concern. It's still in Texas where he can recruit. P5 job and great fan attendance. Downside - it's in Waco. However, he can still leave his family in DFW and work down there. It's only 1.5-2hr commute.

Now, does Baylor want to take a chance on him. I'm hoping the Chad Morris effect still holds and is in people's minds. Baylor has a serious thing to think about right now.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Well, his name certainly came up:

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/59878
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Sonny loves Dallas and loves what he has going here at SMU.

Nobody who loves Dallas and living in Highland Park would ever consider living in Waco.

Consider the risk factor as well - he can stay at SMU and win 9-11 games per year for the next 20 years, earning 3-5M per season.

Baylor had a great run this season in a very weak Big 12. Big chance of taking a step back next season. It is a 3-5 year ob where at the end you either get fired or you move on to a different position. And you still don't end up back in Dallas.

I think he stays here as long as he has the support of the administration.
JasonB

Postby horsemanx » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:55 pm

I wonder if they would consider going back to Art Briles again.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:55 pm

JasonB wrote:Sonny loves Dallas and loves what he has going here at SMU.

Nobody who loves Dallas and living in Highland Park would ever consider living in Waco.

Consider the risk factor as well - he can stay at SMU and win 9-11 games per year for the next 20 years, earning 3-5M per season.

Baylor had a great run this season in a very weak Big 12. Big chance of taking a step back next season. It is a 3-5 year ob where at the end you either get fired or you move on to a different position. And you still don't end up back in Dallas.

Wasn't that the same logic for Chad? He lived in HP. His kid went to HP. His family seem to enjoy Dallas. He would have a cool seat with a 7-9 win seasons.
It's great that Dykes has always talked about how much he loves Dallas but money talks. P5 talks. If there was a job for him to jump to, Baylor would make sense. Texas is way too hot. Tech isn't close by like Waco would be.

I hope he stays and keeps the recruiting machine going but Baylor must have received a very nice buyout when Rhule took that extension and can go out and get whoever they want. Sadly, the market isn't super open.

They might take a shot at Cincy's Fickell (that's the hope). They would be dumb to go after any MWC team or arky state. Maybe they might consider Urban? I'm sure he would love to jump back in.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:18 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
JasonB wrote:Sonny loves Dallas and loves what he has going here at SMU.

Wasn't that the same logic for Chad? He lived in HP. His kid went to HP. His family seem to enjoy Dallas. He would have a cool seat with a 7-9 win seasons.
It's great that Dykes has always talked about how much he loves Dallas but money talks. P5 talks. If there was a job for him to jump to, Baylor would make sense. Texas is way too hot. Tech isn't close by like Waco would be.

I hope he stays and keeps the recruiting machine going but Baylor must have received a very nice buyout when Rhule took that extension and can go out and get whoever they want. Sadly, the market isn't super open.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I mean, when you add a million or a million and a half to a salary with the shot at playing in the CFP - and Baylor DID have a shot this year - that changes minds, as it should. We don't want to admit this, but Baylor is in the driver's seat here, at least for the most part.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:21 pm

I think people believed Morris would stay until Chandler graduated from HS, same as Larry Brown with his son graduating from SMU. Unfortunately in the case of Brown at least, neither happened.
mustangxc

Next

Return to Football