PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU head coach Sonny Dykes on the Baylor job: ‘I’m not inter

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU head coach Sonny Dykes on the Baylor job: ‘I’m not inter

Postby AfricanMustang » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 am

When asked if he’d thought about the Baylor job, or if it was even on his radar, head coach Sonny Dykes said it wasn’t.

The SMU head coach of two years recently signed a contract extension in December and said he’s not interested in leaving his job with the Mustangs.

“It’s certainly not on the radar," Dykes told The Dallas Morning News. "We’ve had opportunities to talk to other schools about jobs, and declined to do that. We’re really happy where we are right now -- not talking about anything specifically, just talking about in general.

"I love being at SMU. I love our players. I love the administration. I just respect this university. And the mission that we have to keep growing the football program. And so I’m really comfortable where I am.

“And so, like I said, I’m not interested in making a move.”

The most newsworthy points in that answer are, obviously, that when asked about any potential opportunity at Baylor, he said he wouldn’t be interested.

Then there’s the fact that other schools have contacted Dykes about the job and he declined to engage.

It appears SMU is safe to have Dykes for the 2020 season. And based on his comments from Wednesday, it seems as though he plans to be at SMU for multiple seasons.

Regardless, it appears, per multiple reports, that LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda is the leading candidate to take over at Baylor.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... ng-a-move/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: SMU head coach Sonny Dykes on the Baylor job: ‘I’m not i

Postby BUS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 pm

I like Dykes. Hope this is a 10 year or more thing.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:23 pm

BUS wrote:I like Dykes. Hope this is a 10 year or more thing.

Me too Bus.

Hey 10 years would give me a good decade to enjoy some SMU success before the nursing home days would be approaching sooner rather than later!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:13 am

The probability of Dykes staying 10 years, if continued success, is very small. If he continues to win, 5 years would be unlikely. Its the nature of the business.

TCU is very fortunate to have Paterson all these years. I hope we could have a little TCU luck with Dykes. The most likely second best is for Dykes to establish winning, a strong talent pool, and increased winning culture for the next coach.
ponyte

Postby dalpony » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 am

Ponyte. - if you talk to Sonny and listen carefully what he says, I believe you would understand that because of his experiences he has come to the conclusion that the money and the prestige of a “power 5” job is not as important to him as family and location - I believe Sonny when he stated that he loves it here and will stay as long as he is wanted - we can’t ask for than that -
dalpony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:15 am

TCU had/has the advantage of P5 money which has certainly helped them retain Patterson all these years. It's all about the Benjamins (probably more than the opportunity to compete for a National Championship) so if Sonny became a really hot commodity and other Big XII schools made a strong push for him, SMU would have to "Pony Up" and at least be competitive salary wise to retain Sonny and just as important, a quality staff. We can only hope that Sonny and his family love Dallas so much that he would be willing to work for half the money to stay at SMU because it could come to that if he starts winning AAC Championships and getting SMU to NY6 games.
Charleston Pony

Postby dalpony » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 am

I agree but based on what Sonny has said, money is not going to be the major factor - family and a comfortable lifestyle is more important
dalpony
Varsity

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:21 pm

Even if he gets smu to a NY6 bowl in the next 2-3 years, I don’t see him leaving right away. I really do think this was his dream job at this point of his life, and that him and his family are really happy and want a stable environment for their kids.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:28 pm

If it’s not about the money, which would be great, it surely is about SMU leadership keeping him happy. We have made things difficult for coaches in the past.
ponyboy

Postby 78pony » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:18 pm

ponyte wrote:The probability of Dykes staying 10 years, if continued success, is very small. If he continues to win, 5 years would be unlikely. Its the nature of the business.

TCU is very fortunate to have Paterson all these years. I hope we could have a little TCU luck with Dykes. The most likely second best is for Dykes to establish winning, a strong talent pool, and increased winning culture for the next coach.

Disagree. And disagree some more.
78pony
Heisman

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:56 pm

The next P5 team Sonny coaches will be the Mustangs when they join the Big 12.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby BUS » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:11 am

Dilly Dilly
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:15 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:The next P5 team Sonny coaches will be the Mustangs when they join the Big 12.

:lol:
Bergermeister

Postby horsemanx » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:57 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:The next P5 team Sonny coaches will be the Mustangs when they join the Big 12.

We
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Return to Football