PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boise State to the AAC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Boise State to the AAC?

Postby Dukie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:37 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:We should force Wichita State to add football.

We really do need a 12th team so we can have two divisions and avoid having "one true champion".

But 12 does not guarantee "one true" anything. Schedules are unbalanced. Even with 12 this year, we had the supreme weirdness of back-to-back Cincy at Memphis games.

On the main topic of this thread, I'm surprised people are talking about places like La Tech and FAU but the only undefeated D1 MBB team's school hasn't come up at all, except in a mention of the Boise-SDSU attempt. SDSU isn't perfect but they'd be far better candidates than anyone mentioned in this thread except the academies or Boise.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ozfan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 pm

Dukie wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:We should force Wichita State to add football.

We really do need a 12th team so we can have two divisions and avoid having "one true champion".

But 12 does not guarantee "one true" anything. Schedules are unbalanced. Even with 12 this year, we had the supreme weirdness of back-to-back Cincy at Memphis games.

On the main topic of this thread, I'm surprised people are talking about places like La Tech and FAU but the only undefeated D1 MBB team's school hasn't come up at all, except in a mention of the Boise-SDSU attempt. SDSU isn't perfect but they'd be far better candidates than anyone mentioned in this thread except the academies or Boise.

If a replacement for a eastern division team is what the league is looking for I suspect they will look for a team in the east for travel and recruiting purposes.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Wow, we certainly have a lot of varying thoughts on this subject. We probably need to sit tight and let the experts decide. Thats what we pay them for. Boise State would add value but travel costs could eat up any benefits. Appalachian State could be an option, but we need to wait a few years for them and hope we can get the NCAA to give us permanent permission to operate with 11 teams and hold a championship game. The service academies seem to me to be the best options in terms of value added. But getting them into the fold could be problematic.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:13 pm

EastStang wrote:Appalachian State has gone to bowls almost every year and won the FCS before that. Would be a travel partner for ECU. I lean east for several reasons, first, games are on at a reasonable hour. Second, I can go to them. Third, the East Coast Media market focuses on eastern teams. Losing UConn hurts in that respect. Adding Boise would create travel headaches for eastern teams. Think about UCF and USF and the flight to Boise and vice versa.

They are also consistently a bottom feeder when it comes to ratings. Even this season when they won 13 games, I'm not finding anything where they broke 1M viewers. Their bowl game was the 4th lowest rated this season. We have to consider interest above geography in this age.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:22 pm

MustangStealth wrote: We have to consider interest above geography in this age.

No doubt. SMU's (lack of) interest in it's football and men's bball teams is pretty much why we are not in a P5 conference. Have to weigh what any new member brings to the table in terms of renegotiating TV rights with UConn gone.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:44 pm

I’ll just bet that Mike Aresco knows how much more money he can get out of ESPN for Boise or Army or Air Force or anyone else. And he can weigh that against the addition travel cost.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm

What are the travel costs to fly from Dallas to say UConn for football and Basketball? How many travel on free tickets for each sport? I have never seen an estimate, yet we are basing our suggestions on how much it would cost (more?) to fly to Denver, Boise, Salt Lake or San Diego...
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am

If you assume Boise State becomes the 12th member of the AAC for football:

The affect on travel for AAC members is negligible swapping UConn for all sports vs Boise State for football only.

The affect on travel for Boise State is significant, trading MWC membership for AAC membership. Boise State has to weigh the benefits of AAC membership against this increased travel expense.

The benefit for the AAC in having Boise State as a member, Power 6 is more of a reality, and we distance ourselves more from the G5.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby malonish » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:03 pm

SMUstang wrote: We probably need to sit tight and let the experts decide.

Wise men? More like wise guys. Ponyfans is much better suited to big business decisions.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:38 pm

OK, if I had to make the decision, I would say go for it. Bring them in if they will come. It looks like a win/win to me.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:42 pm

SMUstang wrote:OK, if I had to make the decision, I would say go for it. Bring them in if they will come. It looks like a win/win to me.

I agree. It knocks the legs out from under a rival conference. They would need to move other sports to the WCC or something like it, like BYU did, but that should not be a huge deal.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:24 pm

What we have to do now is hope and pray that something happens that will convince Boise State that they will be better off in the AAC than in the MWC. And that Mike Aresco and his team will know exactly what to do and when, to help this to happen. I have a feeling that ESPN, with a much larger network, losing out to Fox in their latest contract negotiations, may somehow be involved. Boise State likes exposure (ESPN), stronger competition (AAC), a clear path to the NY6 (AAC), and more money (AAC) which we can offer them long term.
Last edited by SMUstang on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 am

SMUstang wrote:What we have to do now is hope and pray that something happens that will convince Boise State that they will be better off in the AAC than in the MWC. And that Mike Aresco and his team will know exactly what to do and when, to help this to happen. I have a feeling that ESPN, with a much larger network, losing out to Fox in their latest contract negotiations, may somehow be involved. Boise State likes exposure (ESPN), stronger competition (AAC), a clear path to the NY6 (AAC), and money (AAC) which we can offer them long term.

They do not get preferential treatment. They should get the same cut as everyone else. The more I think about it the less incline I want them in. I feel they're high maintenance and no one wants to travel all the way up there.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:39 am

I agree that they should get no special deal. But the benefit to the conference of having them, in my opinion, far outweighs the negative of not having them. They should allow us to keep or increase our deal with ESPN. Travel to Boise, ID for “football only” will be no worse than travel to UConn for “all sports”. It would be worse for BSU but only for 4 conference games per year. They should be able to handle that. We will have the best of both worlds, 12 “football members” and 11 “basketball members”, great for competition. And we would really have a legitimate claim to "Power 6" status. Far above the nearest G5 conference.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:07 pm

I'm old enough to remember the famous "airport meeting" of the WAC where teams secretly met and started the MWC. Perhaps even now there is a meeting going on with Boise, SDSU and Air Force for football only. I am all for it if ESPN can work it out financially for all the AAC. Nice conspiracy theory...
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football