PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Re-Alignment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Re-Alignment

Postby EastStang » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am

WVU is not wanted by the ACC or the Big Ten, so if the Big XII dumped them, then they'd have to seek out the AAC. They don't bring a lot of televisions and their fans are really obnoxious and they don't have any academic standards for recruits (why Hudgins went there). So, they'd fit in perfectly. Their only other option would be a Big East non-football and then join us for football perhaps.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 am

EastStang wrote:WVU is not wanted by the ACC or the Big Ten, so if the Big XII dumped them, then they'd have to seek out the AAC. They don't bring a lot of televisions and their fans are really obnoxious and they don't have any academic standards for recruits (why Hudgins went there). So, they'd fit in perfectly. Their only other option would be a Big East non-football and then join us for football perhaps.

Lets get real, The Big XII, as long as they have UT, is not going to pick up another Texas team to compete with them in recruiting. Therefore they would never dump West Virginia even though they don't fit geographically. The only expansion candidates that make sense for the Big XII are the Arizona teams, and I don't think they would leave the Pac 12.

The best hope for the AAC is that ESPN comes along and helps the AAC add BYU, BSU and AFA. And that the bowl selection committee goes to an 8 team playoff. That would help the conference’s P6 narrative.

If that doesn’t happen, then we are probably better off just staying at 11.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:46 pm

As I recall, when the Big XII was considering expansion, WVU was in favor of adding Cincinnati to have another team in the eastern time zone. Cincy, Memphis and UCF are the most likely candidates if the Big XII ever decided to expand back to the 12 teams they originally had. I agree with those who say there is simply no incentive for them to add another Texas school
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:24 pm

In my opinion, before the Big XII took in Cincinnati, Memphis, or UCF, they would stand pat.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:06 am

OU and UT see the money pouring into the Big 10 and SEC and have to realize they are being left behind. The "legitimate chance to win a Natty tide" is running against them and they know it.
While both programs have plenty of money they are losing on the talent front and they know it. See OU's blow out loss to LSU.
Go to OU's board and all the fans talk about is how the Big 12 is keeping them from attracting the elite recruits needed to compete for a Natty.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 pm

I haven't been to the Big XII website. Do you think that the Big XII is going to lose OU and UT? That would deal the conference a serious blow. They might even lose their Power 5 status. That could start another round of serious realignment. Who knows what could happen then? What about Oklahoma State and Texas Tech?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:20 pm

I can't think the Big 12 would expand in Texas without losing Texas teams. However they could pick up Cincinnati and Memphis to get to 12. At 14, it would be the Florida twins, a logical move for recruiting. That would deal a serious blow to the AAC unfortunately. If they lose 4 teams or more, then some sort of merge with AAC could happen which would likely involve SMU and Houston. Let's just hope Dykes and crew can keep us at the top of the AAC and if the expansion doesn't happen, then the P6 narrative does.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:34 pm

The possible scenarios are endless. It’s likely that the Power 5 will become the Power 4, with The Oklahoma schools in the Big 10 and UT and maybe TTU in the SEC, and WVU and Notre Dame in the ACC. Leaving the rest of the Big XII to merge with the AAC And the PAC 12. Would the PAC 12 add BYU and BSU? Where would the Kansas and Iowa schools end up?
Last edited by SMUstang on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby leopold » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:56 pm

SMUstang wrote:I haven't been to the Big XII website. Do you think that the Big XII is going to lose OU and UT? That would deal the conference a serious blow. They might even lose their Power 5 status. That could start another round of serious realignment. Who knows what could happen then? What about Oklahoma State and Texas Tech?

The problem is where are UT and OU going to go? UT isn't going to the SEC, Big 10, or ACC and the PAC 12 isn't working out like expected - they are last in money in the P5. There's even talk CU isn't happy watching their old conference make more money and compete in the CFP and NCAA a LOT more. Bringing in another two to four schools isn't necessarily going to fix the issue and there's no reason to leave OU, who is the difference between the two conferences right now.

Texas Tech and OSU aren't going anywhere on their own, and neither is OU for that matter. Only chance is the SEC going to 16 and bringing in both OU and OSU, which has a snowball's chance in hades but probably won't happen any time soon. Besides, the SEC has made it clear they prefer to expand into NC and VA if they go anywhere.

So outside of a possible Colorado slide to the Big XII I don't see a whole lot of movement on the part of the P5 coming up.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:17 pm

I tend to agree that the Big XII has no where to go. If OU and UT can’t make it there there is nowhere else for them. None of the AAC’s schools would improve their situation and would not fit academically with them. A lot of our most successful programs are “commuter” schools with lower academic standards. As long as UT is in the conference I don’t see anyone who left ever coming back. We will see what happens.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 pm

All true about UT and OU having limited opportunities to upgrade to another conference.
Which means UT goes Independent much like ND has done. Park their b-ball and non rev with the AAC / left over Big 12 and give that league a few FB games each year as payment to take the non revs.
Just like ND has done with the ACC.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:35 am

I don’t see that happening. I don’t think the Longhorns have the national audience that ND has. Therefore they wouldn’t make as much money as ND. Right now in the Big XII, UT makes far more money than any other team. Why gamble that away? And if UT left, what would OU do? They are the ones complaining about the Big XII holding them back. But they have nowhere to go either. We will see.
One positive though, if UT did leave, Colorado might return. And Houston and SMU might have a shot at the Big XII. And maybe even Tulane and/or BYU.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Mexmustang » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 am

OU fans are a bit delusional. OU's problem is that they have been a very good team over the past ten years, but not a great team. Changing conferences won't change that. Ask Arkansas, Missouri and A&M just how their national rankings have improved by moving to the SEC. in the last couple of years, Arkansas and Missouri have become irrelevant in the conversation.
There is no assurance that OU's recruiting will improve at all, and if they slip just a little, say a fourth place finish in the West, which is entirely possible, they could be relegated permanently to the same position.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 pm

I don’t see the Big XII changing. The best thing for us would be for Boise State to fill that 12th spot for football only. If they decline, then we should stay at 11.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Topper » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 pm

UT will only go where they will be allowed to cut their own deals to their liking. That undoubtedly leaves out the SEC and the Big 10. UT and OU orchestrated the membership of the Big 12 to allow them to breeze through a conference schedule with a minimum of risky games thereby leaving them in a good position to make the playoffs. The UT athletic department has all the cash they need to run the program but they need wins to keep their jobs. Their formula is to play one legitimate team in their OOC schedule, at home if possible, and hope that they beat OU. Bottom line is this: the Big 12 belongs to OU and UT in terms of football, and it has enough legitimate hoops to give them a chance to get some quality wins for their perpetually over-ranked team by tournament time. They have no need to go anywhere. I live within a stone's throw of campus, know a lot of big UT donors, and I can tell you that they were happy to see Nebraska and A&M go. Opened the door to schedule San Jose State and UTEP anytime they like.
Topper
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football