PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Re-Alignment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Re-Alignment

Postby SMUstang » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 pm

It is hard to imagine getting both Boise and AFA, but keep in mind that Boise is not happy with the MWC, and AFA could be attracted by higher revenue, and competition in the same conference with the other Service Academies affording more flexible scheduling, and better bowl tie-ins with higher prospects of reaping NY6 bowl benefits.

To me the biggest question mark is Army. Maybe BYU would be a better choice.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:01 pm

BYU like Texas and Notre Dame is a diva who believes they should get a better deal than the rest of the conference. They are independent for a reason. They want their own TV deal in addition to the conference TV deal. Getting them in the conference would be nice, but would cost us money (not to mention travel costs). Also they won't play games on Sundays which hurts our TV deal. We had several ESPN national games on Sunday nights over the years. The bigger the conference the more pressure to schedule games on Sundays. I think they should be a last resort option.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 pm

JasonB

Postby SMUstang » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:09 pm

If the Big XII picks off Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah where do the rest of the PAC 12 go? I think this is a pipe dream. Besides who wants to be in the same conference with Texas?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:20 pm

SMUstang wrote:If the Big XII picks off Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah where do the rest of the PAC 12 go? I think this is a pipe dream. Besides who wants to be in the same conference with Texas?

Colorado bailed on Texas once and let's not forget Nebraska and Texas A&M. I get that a lot of schools are turned off by having to be associated with Texas, but has the grass been greener for those that bailed? At least Nebraska and A$M are getting a larger slice of the $$ pie, but it's been a while since they made any significant noise on the field/court.

Meanwhile, the "rest" of the PAC could join up with the bulk of the MWC and have a better shot at P5 status than the AAC
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:43 pm

It’s hard to imagine the elitist PAC 12 schools like USC and Cal teaming up with the MWC.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Well - you never can save 'never', but in this case, it'll NEVER happen. LOL!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby SMUstang » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:09 pm

NavyCrimson wrote:Well - you never can save 'never', but in this case, it'll NEVER happen. LOL!

I don’t think the PAC 12 will split up. But if the above scenario happens, then the remainder will be back to the PAC 8 again.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:41 am

Meanwhile, after watching this year's basketball season play out, I like the idea of finding a football only western division member for the AAC going forward and having just 11 schools competing in basketball. I'd like to see us play 20 conference bball games so every team has the same schedule, playing each conference opponent both home & away which still allows 10 non-conference games and makes it easier to identify a true regular season champion. That way, the top 5 finishers get a 1st round bye in the AAC Tourney while the bottom six play to determine the 8 teams playing in the quarterfinals.

Only question is, who would be that 12th "football only" member? I like Air Force for proximity (and to offset Navy in the east, not to mention their "fit" with the "American" title) but obviously Boise or BYU would do more to enhance the AAC's football reputation. Just not sure AF or Boise would bail on the MWC right now.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:29 am

Money talks, and the AAC is in a position to offer more money and a more secure national alignment, at least for the next 12 years plus ESPN exposure, which seems to be important, at least for BSU and BYU. We’ll see.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:38 pm

I'd kind of like 2 steal a couple of the MWC bowls too-the Las Vegas Bowl and I believe they have the Poinsetta Bowl in San Diego. Two decent destination options which might be available with the right combination of MWC schools
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:56 pm

True but the possible addition of BSU or AFA brings more to the AAC than UNLV or SDSU in my opinion.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 pm

With all the talk does anyone think this will actually happen?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:44 pm

I’d say a lot depends on ESPN and how badly they want TV coverage in the Mountain time zone. Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Reno, Boise, Cheyenne, etc. I’d say the odds are pretty good but we’ll see.

The media seems to control college football these days, and ESPN seems to be out in front of the media.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 pm

If you are thinking long term, I really think SDSU would be the one of the top candidates-same may be said about UNLV now that they will have a higher profile in an NFL Stadium just off the strip. Both schools also have a basketball profile-SDSU is 1 win from tying down a No. 1 seed. But those schools only make sense if you are adding about 4 schools
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football