PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor Problems

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Baylor Problems

Postby SMUstang » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:53 am

I read an article that said all of the men who applied for the Baylor head coaching position were debriefed and told what they might get themselves into. Sounds like Baylor will have NCAA sanctions to deal with in the future.
SMUstang
All-American
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Horseshoe Bay, TX, USA

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:11 am

SMUstang wrote:I read an article that said all of the men who applied for the Baylor head coaching position were debriefed and told what they might get themselves into. Sounds like Baylor will have NCAA sanctions to deal with in the future.

They shouldn't be allowed to even have a program! Never forget.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15744
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby peruna81 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 am

Cleveland State is in for a beating again...

The NCAA flexed once, and we were the punching bag.

UNC, OU, PSU, BU and any number of revenue producing schools have done the crime but not the time. I will believe the NCAA when Mark Emmert is no longer in the pocket of the P-5.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:01 am
Location: central Texas

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby SMUstang » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:09 pm

So many things much worse than paying players have been overlooked.
SMUstang
All-American
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Horseshoe Bay, TX, USA

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am

My understanding is: 1. The Notice of Allegations was presented about 18 months ago and consists in major infractions. 2. Only certain Baylor leaders, Baylor counsel, and select coaching candidates (obviously including Aranda) have details regarding the NOA. 3. Baylor is defending itself.

Might the NCAA really come after Baylor? Absolutely. We could see Death Penalty II. As a private Christian university, they're certainly set up for the possibility. But I think that since Baylor HAS taken strong remedial action, and since a good period time has passed since all this occurred my guess is we'll see something like a two year reduction in scholarships with no bowl appearances.

We shall see if all this comes down before Aranda's team takes the field next fall.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 13017
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby gostangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:08 pm

This is the chance for the Big 12 to upgrade and boot our Baylor and let in SMU. Improve academics, improve eyeballs, improve recruiting in a major market, lower travel costs and never have to set foot in Waco again.

Would just be acknowledging what should have happened last time but for Ann Richards (and our own issues).
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12139
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas USA

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 pm

Baylor is currently the single most successful program in the NCAA. Men's basketball team has been ranked #1 for several weeks now. Don't need to say anything about the success of the women's program. Football ended up #13. Multiple other programs are highly ranked. They're doing something right down there. Would that we had such problems.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 13017
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby mtrout » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:17 pm

ponyboy wrote:My understanding is: 1. The Notice of Allegations was presented about 18 months ago and consists in major infractions. 2. Only certain Baylor leaders, Baylor counsel, and select coaching candidates (obviously including Aranda) have details regarding the NOA. 3. Baylor is defending itself.

Might the NCAA really come after Baylor? Absolutely. We could see Death Penalty II. As a private Christian university, they're certainly set up for the possibility. But I think that since Baylor HAS taken strong remedial action, and since a good period time has passed since all this occurred my guess is we'll see something like a two year reduction in scholarships with no bowl appearances.

We shall see if all this comes down before Aranda's team takes the field next fall.


Death penalty 2? Come on bro, nothing significant will happen.
mtrout
Heisman
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:50 pm

ponyboy wrote:Baylor is currently the single most successful program in the NCAA. Men's basketball team has been ranked #1 for several weeks now. Don't need to say anything about the success of the women's program. Football ended up #13. Multiple other programs are highly ranked. They're doing something right down there. Would that we had such problems.


Yup. UT and A&M sure had our back in the 80s as well to fend off sanctions and keep us in the SWC.

Oh, wait...

We took actions with Larry and still got hammered.

Baylor deserves everything they end up getting, and more.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:00 pm

So it seems I got one guy saying nothing's going to happen and another saying that Baylor's going to get kicked out of the B12. Maybe. I'll go for the middle ground, two years no bowl and reduction in scholarships.

As for Baylor getting what they deserve, I'll just say that none of us want what we deserve. They've taken strong steps to prevent this from ever happening again.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 13017
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:16 pm

They might lose a couple of scholarships but don't expect anything close to what the NCAA has done to SMU. Baylor has made itself a brand name with it's success in football and bball. Now if Texas has a say in how Baylor is treated...
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20607
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby gostangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:19 pm

ponyboy wrote:So it seems I got one guy saying nothing's going to happen and another saying that Baylor's going to get kicked out of the B12. Maybe. I'll go for the middle ground, two years no bowl and reduction in scholarships.

As for Baylor getting what they deserve, I'll just say that none of us want what we deserve. They've taken strong steps to prevent this from ever happening again.


Of course I don't think it will happen - just pointing out this is there chance to upgrade. On field success comes and goes. TV markets, location and academics are forever.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12139
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas USA

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:22 pm

I agree with one of the posts, Wyoming should be very scared. Someone has to pay for these sins against NCAA amateurism rules. Baylor won't. They'll get a few scholarships yanked, a pat on the head for letting their coach get hired into the NFL, and maybe lose a Bowl appearance for one year. But some other G5 or FCS program is going to get nailed.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11097
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby horsemanx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:52 pm

ponyboy wrote:As for Baylor getting what they deserve, I'll just say that none of us want what we deserve. They've taken strong steps to prevent this from ever happening again.

I know you are a big Baylor fan, but what they did is so abhorrent it's hard to believe they don't get significant penalties - especially since they were blatantly violating Title IX as well.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
User avatar
horsemanx
Varsity
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 am

Re: Baylor Problems

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:47 pm

I would think not getting arrested for rape is an "impermissable benefit" violating NCAA regulations. Unless, since it is baylor, they offer this perk to all their students. They should form their own conference with penn state. I don't see how any parent could let their child attend that school mush less a daughter. Whatever happens to them it is not harsh enough.
User avatar
HubbaHubba
Varsity
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:37 am

Next

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests