PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best Mustang Moment you saw in person

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 am

Louie Kelcher single handedly shutting down the #1 Ranked Aggies wishbone followed by Cotton Bowl Victory over Pitt.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 am

As far as individual performance I think Chuck Hixson’s near comeback against Arkansas in 68 was one.

But McElhaney (sorry about the spelling) against Texas in 80 is hard to beat.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Re: Best Mustang Moment you saw in person

Postby digman52 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am

My best was on a Friday night at the Cotton Bowl in 1963 as an 11 year old. We sat high in the upper deck, and witnessed SMU beating Navy and Roger Staubach 32-28 in a barn burner! Every score by Navy was followed by a huge cannon going off in the end zone. The compression from those cannon shots made you jump.

We dislocated Roger's left shoulder in the first quarter, but he came back in with a brace on it, and kept on playing. He ran for more than 100 yds that night. Navy warned it's team to expect late and after the whistle hits from us, and we lived up to it. We later tore his helmet off on a play, and he got a cut that needed attention. Some tough Pony D.

It was one of those games where you figured the last team with the ball would win. It was my most exciting moment for SMU Football, followed by the Pony Express wins in Austin. It was Navy's only regular season loss that year, until they were beaten by Texas in the Cotton Bowl, Roger's second loss there.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:27 am

SMU- Ohio State. Sept 30,1950.

Fred Benners passed OSU crazy while Johnny Champion and Kyle Rote showed how to run the fball. For many years this was the longest game ever played in the 'shoe' as the clock stopped on each incompletion.
Sept.30 was my fathers birthday and the tickets to the game were my present. A former OSU alum/fball player was with us and got me our tickets.
I was able to get into the SMU locker room after the game thanks to Doak Walker.
This was an experience I will never forget.
redpony

Postby Mexmustang » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:38 am

1965-Watching Bill Bradley, Mr. Texas, fumble with a little over a minute left and then watching SMU march down and score a FG with seconds left in Austin sealing a win against those ba$tard Longhorns! This was the first SWC Championship for SMU in years.

Second and third, watching Jerry Levias score on a return against the Aggies in the Cotton Bowl, and Bobby Leach score against the Longhorns in Austin on a tipped pass sealing our win.

Number One that I missed, the kickoff return in Lubbock to preserve our unbeaten streak. I lived in London that year and couldn't find an airline connection to Lubbock--it was the only game I missed that year.
Last edited by Mexmustang on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 am

In person: I would have to say the first Hawaii bowl when Padron and Co. absolutely destroyed Kapernick and Nevada. I could not believe my eyes. I think we were a 14 point dog in that game...wow, just wow. Barely beats out the SMU win over Staubach and #2 Navy in Cotton Bowl stadium when I was in school.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Mexmustang » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:54 am

The Hawaii Bowl was terrific. Watched it at the old First and Ten with a bunch of diehard fans, came out and all our car doors were frozen closed due to the ice storm. Fortunately, the doors on the passenger side would open, but watching a bunch of guys that had too much to drink crawling across their consoles to get to the driver's side was almost as much fun.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqlid2F2rfs

Unfortunately, RGV Pony doesn’t have the 46 yard McIlhenny to James icing-on-the-cake TD pass.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonySnob » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Miracle on Mockingbird
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Moment: Jerry Levias' (83 yard)? punt run back to score the winning TD in against A&M in 1966.
SMU 21 A&m 14

Game: Louie Kelcher shutting down #4 ranked ? A&M in 1974 during my junior year at SMU.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smuaustin1971 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:47 pm

I am with Mark's 2nd choice... SMU over Texas, 1980 in Austin. And in particular, the 53 yard touchdown run by Craig James as a result of a great pitch from McIlhenny...
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Dismantling Pitt in the BBVA Bowl.
mustangxc

Postby SMUstang » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:06 pm

digman52 wrote:My best was on a Friday night at the Cotton Bowl in 1963 as an 11 year old. We sat high in the upper deck, and witnessed SMU beating Navy and Roger Staubach 32-28 in a barn burner! Every score by Navy was followed by a huge cannon going off in the end zone. The compression from those cannon shots made you jump.

We dislocated Roger's left shoulder in the first quarter, but he came back in with a brace on it, and kept on playing. He ran for more than 100 yds that night. Navy warned it's team to expect late and after the whistle hits from us, and we lived up to it. We later tore his helmet off on a play, and he got a cut that needed attention. Some tough Pony D.

It was one of those games where you figured the last team with the ball would win. It was my most exciting moment for SMU Football, followed by the Pony Express wins in Austin. It was Navy's only regular season loss that year, until they were beaten by Texas in the Cotton Bowl, Roger's second loss there.

I proudly saw that one too. But the best one may be the 1982 game with Texas Tech. Talk about a barn burner. The last play of the game was an unbelievable classic.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:57 pm

I guess the other really great one was Arthur Wittington running back a kickoff with no time left against Rice to win the game. 1975, I think.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Pony81 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:36 pm

In person:
Cotton Bowl win over Pitt and Dan Marino in some nasty cold weather
1980 win over #2 (I think) UT in Austin when we ran it down their throats....
Miracle on Mockingbird
SMU v Tulsa 2019
Heard the KO return by Leach on the radio while at work late on a Saturday afternoon....unbelievable ending...
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Next

Return to Football