PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best Mustang Moment you saw in person

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Best Mustang Moment you saw in person

Postby Mustang75 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:13 pm

1982 SMU @ Texas Tech.
Bobby Leach Run back.
I was sitting in TTech territory.
Best game EVER!!!!!
Mustang75
Varsity

Postby ponyte » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Riding on the team bus after the '80 win over the Whores. Passing a Whores' van, a grey hair with a touch of blue old lady give the bus the finger as we gave the down turn Whores' sign. . Priceless!
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 pm

Levias return against Baylor, and Partee's kick to win it...

Leach's bounce-pass return against Tech...

Watching SMU destroy Staubach in 1963...my first SMU game with my dad. It was my (his too) birthday present to each other, even though at 5 I was a bit dubious about how much fun it would be at the time. Years later, I wish we had gone to more together.

Beating the Longhorns in 1980 was uniquely satisfying as well...I remember Shields mentioning that at commencement in May, and the explosion of cheers from the Moody floor.

Many other memories from SWC games. It is good to be an SMU fan.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:33 pm

not even close which was the greatest MOMENT-SMU v Texas Tech was a better game, more gut-wrenching prospective crushing loss and miraculous -I mean once in a lifetime miraculous moment(if you're lucky) to move to 10-0 and keep National Championship hopes alive beats a 2nd quarter TD from a team headed to the Holiday Bowl after 2 straight losses to take a lead every time and I was at both games-I was at all the games listed above except the Fred Benners victory over Ohio St (but I did see Mike Ford "beat Ohio St." 35-35). This was the Day that God was on our side. SMU beating UT was perhaps the more important win in building our program

I just wished more SMU fans were there to see the Pandemonium after the Miracle on 4th Street -especially the 40% or so that left with :17 seconds on the clock-you know who you are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1PccepNHQ
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby dalpony » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:18 am

I was there for the whole game - it was one of the best - another great one was against TCU not sure of the year (82 or 83?) when TCU was on our 1 yard line in the closing minutes with a 1st a goal for the go ahead touchdown and the probable win - we stuffed them 3 straight plays and on 4th down and less than a yard to go, Michael Carter (nose guard) picked up the TCU center at the snap of the ball and threw him in to backfield on top of the QB causing a loss and SMU ball - also the game against Arkansas when we won the SWC championship - we were ahead but had to punt with the momentum clearly on the pigs side - Craig James punted but the pigs had 12 men on the field - we got the ball back and Dickerson broke down our sideline cementing our victory - as well as the 1963 game against Navy - that was also a tremendous ending with Navy on our 12 yard line - Staubach dropped back to pass only to be picked off in the end zone (Stallion might remember - was it by Medlin?)
dalpony
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:12 am

There are a bunch. I seem to recall the game against a$m where Jim Hagle (?) had the 97 yard run up the middle for a touchdown. I believe that was a big win at the Cotton Bowl. Recently, the 4th and 25 yard pass a couple years back in OT to beat Cinci up here was pretty amazing.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 am

SMUstang wrote:
digman52 wrote:My best was on a Friday night at the Cotton Bowl in 1963 as an 11 year old. We sat high in the upper deck, and witnessed SMU beating Navy and Roger Staubach 32-28 in a barn burner! Every score by Navy was followed by a huge cannon going off in the end zone. The compression from those cannon shots made you jump.

We dislocated Roger's left shoulder in the first quarter, but he came back in with a brace on it, and kept on playing. He ran for more than 100 yds that night. Navy warned it's team to expect late and after the whistle hits from us, and we lived up to it. We later tore his helmet off on a play, and he got a cut that needed attention. Some tough Pony D.

It was one of those games where you figured the last team with the ball would win. It was my most exciting moment for SMU Football, followed by the Pony Express wins in Austin. It was Navy's only regular season loss that year, until they were beaten by Texas in the Cotton Bowl, Roger's second loss there.

I proudly saw that one too. But the best one may be the 1982 game against Texas Tech, with Spike Dykes as head coach. Talk about a barn burner. The last play of the game with Leach was an unbelievable classic.
Oh, I almost forgot the Bluebonnet Bowl win over Oklahoma with Jerry Levias leading the way. That too was a great moment. And the “Miracle on Mockingbird”, however I left the game before the Ponies came from behind.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 am

My favorite game I witnessed was when SMU beat Staubach's Navy team. Loved all of the Dickerson James games. But my favorite moment would have to be at Ownby Stadium after a Spring game. Dandy Don Meredith (probably his final SMU spring game) stood on the field talking, laughing and signing autographs for all of the fans and especially the all of kids. EVERY child that ask got an autograph (and there were many). I was one of the kids and that made such a big impression on me. Meredith will always be one of my favorite people.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:48 am

anytime Eric Dickerson touched the ball.
Nacho

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:46 am

Interesting that only two post DP fans have posed anything (Hawaii and BHam bowls). Guess those of us who got to campus in the 90s missed all of the good stuff.

I may have to go with this past year's comeback win over Tulsa. That was insane.

But I also loved seeing the Seniors from that UH massacre get their revenge at Owenby a few years after 95-21. I only wish Rossley would have chosen to run up the score a bit more. And I wish my tiny plastic football that they handed out would have been more accurate as I missed John Jenkins be a few feet.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:23 am

I’ve seen a lot of them but the Cotton Bowl win over Pitt and the Hawaii Bowl win over Nevada really stand out.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Oh, here's another one I saw on TV: The SMU - UAB game in 2005.

PASS 0:00
Jerad Romo pass complete to Bobby Chase for 31 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.
smu drive: 4 plays 80 yards, 00:23 smu td, 0:23
28 27 SMU wins.

The entire drive was a miracle, 80 yards in 23 seconds to win the game.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:53 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Oh, here's another one I saw on TV: The SMU - UAB game in 2005.

PASS 0:00
Jerad Romo pass complete to Bobby Chase for 31 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.
smu drive: 4 plays 80 yards, 00:23 smu td, 0:23
28 27 SMU wins.

The entire drive was a miracle, 80 yards in 23 seconds to win the game.

"Block up front men, block up front!'
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:05 pm

In person, for me, is easily SMU 44, Texas 14 in 1985 and the moment is the 95-yard touchdown run-fumble-run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1yIiQumek
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ozfan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:03 pm

1951 SMU in Southbend. Johnny Champion blocking on Leon Hart, he was bouncing off him like a ping pong ball but it gave Benners time to pass.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football