PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best Mustang Moment you saw in person

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Best Mustang Moment you saw in person

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 am

Me too, a thrilling moment as Taylor Thompson chased down the QB. It is on Youtube.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:47 am

When Thompson sacked that QB, that is the loudest roar I have ever heard that stadium. A dramatic moment for sure.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Arkpony wrote:When Thompson sacked that QB, that is the loudest roar I have ever heard that stadium. A dramatic moment for sure.

You're right - great moment - whata play!
Bergermeister

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Arkpony wrote:When Thompson sacked that QB, that is the loudest roar I have ever heard that stadium. A dramatic moment for sure.

Goal line stand vs Kansas on opening night of Ford was pretty loud from where I sat
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 pm

I have been to most of our home games and many away games over the past several decades. For some reason when I read the question about the best moment, the first thing that popped into my head was a 3rd quarter touchdown pass from Lance Mcilenhhy to Bobby Leach that put us ahead of UT, at Austin, in 1982. For some reason I am never sure of a win until the last whistle, but for some reason I knew that we went ahead for good. Beating UT in Austin was the best feeling an SMU fan could have at the time. Bobby Leach was the son of my Dean of Students and a terrific young man (back then anyway). I think he is best known for that kickoff return against Tech, but I wasn't at that game.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Ikus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:35 pm

A tie between the Miracle on Mockingbird and the first bowl game in Hawaii
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:23 pm

smu great come from behind victory over university of new mexico. absolutely thrilling.
fun fact dennis franchione was the unm coach.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:35 pm

you could probably nominate every SMU win over Baylor from 1975-1986. And every loss to Baylor during the same years could make the most disappointing losses. Greatest series over a decade in SWC History
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby peruna81 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:31 pm

Stallion wrote:you could probably nominate every SMU win over Baylor from 1975-1986. And every loss to Baylor during the same years could make the most disappointing losses. Greatest series over a decade in SWC History

Agreed...still remember outside the locker room at Floyd Casey hugging Mike Ford after that 1 yard line fumble...he just wept.

On the positive side, Dennis Partee's kick was a joy to behold...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:46 pm

I got an app for that-1980 SMU v Baylor Highlites -unfortunately from the Grant Teaff Show-but most of the big plays are shown. It was one of the most devastating losses in my 55 years or so of watching SMU Football but the best was yet to come...

Scroll down from the story for Highlites

https://swcroundup.com/news/2016/9/7/th ... -at-baylor
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby No Quarter » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:55 am

A thread like this one is started every few years and the stories I have are mostly about the same events as last time.

First of all my father scored tickets to the '49 Notre Dame game and I wish I had known more about football as an eleven year old - maybe I could make better comments about the game itself. As it is some of the following is because I heard dad tell the stories repeatedly over the years. Injured Doak Walker represented SMU at the coin toss and he was wearing a brown suit. There were quite a few black SMU employees seated in folding chairs at ground level in the SE corner of the Cotton Bowl. I am sure they were janitors, grounds keepers, kitchen workers in that long ago day before integration, but SMU did not have a more enthusiastic group of fans that afternoon. And a Catholic priest, clerical collar and all and wearing a black suit and black overcoat was seated in the row just below us, and like stories you may have heard about other games he had his beads out and prayed when SMU tied the score at twenty all.

Like some others on this thread I was at the Navy game where SMU beat Staubach and Navy, and with my wife. We'd flown into Dallas that day and talked about what to do that evening.. The choices were the HP - Garland game of which many thought the winner would go on and win state and the Navy game. I'm glad we went down to Fair Park! Garland beat HP and did go on to a 4A football championship. John Roderick had a big night for SMU.

My wife and I were at the Miracle on Mockingbird also.

One thing more - I remember going to at least one game at Ownby when Doak Walker was in an SMU uniform, but can't say more than that.

My memory is that I was not alone talking about that '49 ND game last time we saw a thread like this. Maybe someone else can still add a note to this thread. And I'm hoping I'll make it to the next one.

GO PONIES!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:51 pm

.Image
One Trick Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:20 pm

No Quarter wrote:A thread like this one is started every few years and the stories I have are mostly about the same events as last time.

First of all my father scored tickets to the '49 Notre Dame game and I wish I had known more about football as an eleven year old - maybe I could make better comments about the game itself. As it is some of the following is because I heard dad tell the stories repeatedly over the years. Injured Doak Walker represented SMU at the coin toss and he was wearing a brown suit. There were quite a few black SMU employees seated in folding chairs at ground level in the SE corner of the Cotton Bowl. I am sure they were janitors, grounds keepers, kitchen workers in that long ago day before integration, but SMU did not have a more enthusiastic group of fans that afternoon. And a Catholic priest, clerical collar and all and wearing a black suit and black overcoat was seated in the row just below us, and like stories you may have heard about other games he had his beads out and prayed when SMU tied the score at twenty all.

Like some others on this thread I was at the Navy game where SMU beat Staubach and Navy, and with my wife. We'd flown into Dallas that day and talked about what to do that evening.. The choices were the HP - Garland game of which many thought the winner would go on and win state and the Navy game. I'm glad we went down to Fair Park! Garland beat HP and did go on to a 4A football championship. John Roderick had a big night for SMU.

My wife and I were at the Miracle on Mockingbird also.

One thing more - I remember going to at least one game at Ownby when Doak Walker was in an SMU uniform, but can't say more than that.

My memory is that I was not alone talking about that '49 ND game last time we saw a thread like this. Maybe someone else can still add a note to this thread. And I'm hoping I'll make it to the next one.

GO PONIES!

My Dad graduated in SMU 1950 (me 76), and he scored tickets to the ND game too. He told stories of Doak being injured, and Kyle Rote running wild picking up 10 yards a carry. Also of a guy named Johnny Champion giving some big All-American Irish lineman all he could handle.

Listened with my Dad on the radio to the 63 Navy game as a 6th grader. Remember John Roderick making big plays like an end around that went for 20+ yards, and holding Navy at our 8 yard line in the final seconds.

Later that year, I saw my first SMU game in person at the Cotton Bowl. Beat Arkansas 14 - 7. I remember when my Dad told me we had gotten an invitation to play in the Sun Bowl. I didn't believe it because we only had a 4 - 6 record. Then thought well we did beat Navy, and #1 Texas only beat us 19 - 12.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:31 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:.Image

This was funny. And a very good, if overdue, moment.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Sideline » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:15 pm

the last two victories over the sea suckers at amon carter rank up there
Sideline
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football