PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the 2020 season?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts on the 2020 season?

Postby Timothythegreat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:33 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on the idea of fall ball happening this year? Some are optimistic, some not so much, some foresee an irregular season if any at all.

As a college athlete, would they want to use a year of their eligibility on an abridged season?
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Re: Thoughts on the 2020 season?

Postby ponyboy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:59 pm

I think we will have a full season. And I think we are going to be good.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:37 pm

ponyboy wrote:I think we will have a full season. And I think we are going to be good.

Agreed, but I'm not sure our record will match this last year...

We will not "surprise" anyone next fall.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:28 am

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if there are any more sporting events in 2020.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:35 am

peruna81 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I think we will have a full season. And I think we are going to be good.

Agreed, but I'm not sure our record will match this last year...

We will not "surprise" anyone next fall.

I get it -- we won quite a few in a row -- but I do think we have a good chance to match the overall record.
ponyboy

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 am

mustangxc wrote:I’ll be pleasantly surprised if there are any more sporting events in 2020.

Unfortunately with each passing day this is how I feel. Just me - but I think college sports are the least likely to come back this year. The pros have paychecks on the line and can better control the environments they play in. Just terrible, because I agree we would be very good this year. Lets continue to hope for the best. I'd be happy with a shortened/conference-only schedule at this point.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:51 am

I can't see throwing away a year of college football. Something will be done, either shortened season, later spring? season, or some other variation. By next year or sooner we may well have a vaccine. Every country is probably working to find one, not just us.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby friarwolf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:18 pm

We will have a full season. We may have every other seat vacant but the season will take place.....
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:15 pm

The biggest sporting event of the year in this region of the country occurs every October when Texas and OU meet at the Cotton Bowl.

Over 200,000 people at the State Fair of Texas.
Over 90,000 people at the Cotton Bowl.

Absent some form of vaccination, I don't see how either occurs this year.

Look up the odds a nationwide vaccination can be administered within the next 6 months.

Not great.

Think of the % of SMU attendees at Ford who are over 60 years old. Think of the likelihood they will want to attend mass social events without a vaccination. Once again, not great.

I'm with Mavsrage on this one. I can see pro basketball making some form of comeback, pro football less likely, college football least likely. College sports are too reliant on fans and these are academic institutions first and foremost.
SoCal_Pony

Postby footballdad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Who would actually take a Bill Gates vaccine in their arm, even when one is available?

No thanks.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Not me
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:01 am

First, no vaccine is going to be rushed to market. There are too many negative repercussions if something isn't right, and it goes beyond mild side effects if treatment drugs don't work. I don't expect to see a vaccine available for public use for another year, minimum.

Second, testing and treatment will have improved significantly by the fall. At that time, what you are going to see is significant testing so that regional outbreaks can be detected, and then immediate social distancing, events cancelled, and travel in and out of that area banned so that they shut the spread to the rest of the country. The economy will move on and events will happen in areas that don't see a flare up.

IF we have improved treatment through a variety of drugs, it could mitigate the risk of developing severe symptoms enough that you don't even have the regional restriction. But that will only happen if available drugs happen to work, which is a hope, but certainly not a sure thing.

If the country is testing appropriately, and the situation is addressed appropriately, there is no reason to cancel events in the fall. That said, I'm not super confident that the current administration will have the appetite to attack this at a national level rather than leaving it up to localities. Without some sort of national control, all bet are off for the fall sports seasons.
JasonB

Postby Dukie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:24 am

JasonB wrote:First, no vaccine is going to be rushed to market. There are too many negative repercussions if something isn't right, and it goes beyond mild side effects if treatment drugs don't work. I don't expect to see a vaccine available for public use for another year, minimum.

Second, testing and treatment will have improved significantly by the fall. At that time, what you are going to see is significant testing so that regional outbreaks can be detected, and then immediate social distancing, events cancelled, and travel in and out of that area banned so that they shut the spread to the rest of the country. The economy will move on and events will happen in areas that don't see a flare up.

IF we have improved treatment through a variety of drugs, it could mitigate the risk of developing severe symptoms enough that you don't even have the regional restriction. But that will only happen if available drugs happen to work, which is a hope, but certainly not a sure thing.

If the country is testing appropriately, and the situation is addressed appropriately, there is no reason to cancel events in the fall. That said, I'm not super confident that the current administration will have the appetite to attack this at a national level rather than leaving it up to localities. Without some sort of national control, all bet are off for the fall sports seasons.

I think this is all generally right, and one more reason for hope is that plasma from those who have survived coronavirus is proving helpful to those who are suffering:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... l-patients

But the Gates Foundation has historically been involved in plasma-treatment plans for other diseases (Ebola), so I certainly hope footballdad and One Trick Pony will maintain their purity and decline any such treatment.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 am

Dukie wrote:
JasonB wrote:First, no vaccine is going to be rushed to market. There are too many negative repercussions if something isn't right, and it goes beyond mild side effects if treatment drugs don't work. I don't expect to see a vaccine available for public use for another year, minimum.

I think this is all generally right, and one more reason for hope is that plasma from those who have survived coronavirus is proving helpful to those who are suffering:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... l-patients

But the Gates Foundation has historically been involved in plasma-treatment plans for other diseases (Ebola), so I certainly hope footballdad and One Trick Pony will maintain their purity and decline any such treatment.
God bless you Dukie
One Trick Pony

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Lord Gates will save us all......the world will never be the same.......the new normal....... :roll:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football