PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the 2020 season?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the 2020 season?

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Dukie wrote:
JasonB wrote:First, no vaccine is going to be rushed to market. There are too many negative repercussions if something isn't right, and it goes beyond mild side effects if treatment drugs don't work. I don't expect to see a vaccine available for public use for another year, minimum.

Second, testing and treatment will have improved significantly by the fall. At that time, what you are going to see is significant testing so that regional outbreaks can be detected, and then immediate social distancing, events cancelled, and travel in and out of that area banned so that they shut the spread to the rest of the country. The economy will move on and events will happen in areas that don't see a flare up.

IF we have improved treatment through a variety of drugs, it could mitigate the risk of developing severe symptoms enough that you don't even have the regional restriction. But that will only happen if available drugs happen to work, which is a hope, but certainly not a sure thing.

If the country is testing appropriately, and the situation is addressed appropriately, there is no reason to cancel events in the fall. That said, I'm not super confident that the current administration will have the appetite to attack this at a national level rather than leaving it up to localities. Without some sort of national control, all bet are off for the fall sports seasons.

I think this is all generally right, and one more reason for hope is that plasma from those who have survived coronavirus is proving helpful to those who are suffering:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... l-patients

But the Gates Foundation has historically been involved in plasma-treatment plans for other diseases (Ebola), so I certainly hope footballdad and One Trick Pony will maintain their purity and decline any such treatment.

Hydroxychloroquine. Safe, effective, and saving lives every day......but orange man bad. Doesn't fit the Gates & Fauci narrative either, so we need months long 'trials' to confirm.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Dukie wrote:
JasonB wrote:First, no vaccine is going to be rushed to market. There are too many negative repercussions if something isn't right, and it goes beyond mild side effects if treatment drugs don't work. I don't expect to see a vaccine available for public use for another year, minimum.

Second, testing and treatment will have improved significantly by the fall. At that time, what you are going to see is significant testing so that regional outbreaks can be detected, and then immediate social distancing, events cancelled, and travel in and out of that area banned so that they shut the spread to the rest of the country. The economy will move on and events will happen in areas that don't see a flare up.

IF we have improved treatment through a variety of drugs, it could mitigate the risk of developing severe symptoms enough that you don't even have the regional restriction. But that will only happen if available drugs happen to work, which is a hope, but certainly not a sure thing.

If the country is testing appropriately, and the situation is addressed appropriately, there is no reason to cancel events in the fall. That said, I'm not super confident that the current administration will have the appetite to attack this at a national level rather than leaving it up to localities. Without some sort of national control, all bet are off for the fall sports seasons.

I think this is all generally right, and one more reason for hope is that plasma from those who have survived coronavirus is proving helpful to those who are suffering:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... l-patients

But the Gates Foundation has historically been involved in plasma-treatment plans for other diseases (Ebola), so I certainly hope footballdad and One Trick Pony will maintain their purity and decline any such treatment.

Your Gates Foundation also funded the IMHE Model that started all the hysteria in the first place with grossly exaggerated numbers. All since proven way wrong by the real numbers coming out.

The only reason the season is in jeopardy is because of this well planned misinformation campaign...........with Gates out there right now as it's primary cheerleader.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Still nothings going down at the hospitals locally, they check in thinking they may have it test negative and are sent home. One did test positive released to self quarantine.

Maby it's still comings... meanwhile you folks keep dropping crab cakes in your shorts I'll keep buying stocks.

BTW hospital staff need masks & hand sanitizers - charmingeddon is real !
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:06 pm

The latest bogus non-stop media narrative the last 24 hours..........

OMG, no wonder Trump is touting Hydroxychloroquine, he has a personal stake in the Company. Haha, caught you red handed orange man!

Reality: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump ... 2020-04-07

A tiny % buried within a frickin mutual fund. Trump has no idea he even owns this company!

Same sh*t, different day. :roll:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:46 pm

I'm more of a Reagan guy, but the irrational Trump hatred is quite entertaining
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:12 pm

footballdad wrote:The latest bogus non-stop media narrative the last 24 hours..........

OMG, no wonder Trump is touting Hydroxychloroquine, he has a personal stake in the Company. Haha, caught you red handed orange man!

A tiny % buried within a frickin mutual fund. Trump has no idea he even owns this company!

Hopefully the malaria medication or one of the other anti-virals work, that would be great! But I'll take my medical advice from professionals rather than someone who was already wrong with his prediction of 15 cases dropping to 0. That was a much less accurate prediction than literally anything else out there.

I get being wary of potential hysteria, but it would be a really good idea to keep track of the inaccuracies of politicians (on any side of the aisle) when compared to scientists.

So, when I hear politicians hyping something up, but the scientists are saying to hold on and let things play out before we get too excited, then yeah, I'll listen to the scientists. They are probably being cautious for a reason.

Unfortunately, from what I have read, the anti-virals have shown some promise early, but once patients have developed pneumonia, they don't really help at that point. And because the recovery rate is so high for the general population, it is hard to determine if the viral drug was successful (no treatment works 85% of the time with this thing when cases are mild). And the anti-virals, especially the malaria drug, have some nasty side effects. So it complicates the situation.

BTW, when was the last time the leader of any country was put in ICU because of the flu? DOn't know the answer, just curious.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:22 pm

JasonB wrote:
footballdad wrote:The latest bogus non-stop media narrative the last 24 hours..........

Hopefully the malaria medication or one of the other anti-virals work, that would be great! But I'll take my medical advice from professionals rather than someone who was already wrong with his prediction of 15 cases dropping to 0. That was a much less accurate prediction than literally anything else out there.

I get being wary of potential hysteria, but it would be a really good idea to keep track of the inaccuracies of politicians (on any side of the aisle) when compared to scientists.

So, when I hear politicians hyping something up, but the scientists are saying to hold on and let things play out before we get too excited, then yeah, I'll listen to the scientists. They are probably being cautious for a reason.

Unfortunately, from what I have read, the anti-virals have shown some promise early, but once patients have developed pneumonia, they don't really help at that point. And because the recovery rate is so high for the general population, it is hard to determine if the viral drug was successful (no treatment works 85% of the time with this thing when cases are mild). And the anti-virals, especially the malaria drug, have some nasty side effects. So it complicates the situation.

BTW, when was the last time the leader of any country was put in ICU because of the flu? DOn't know the answer, just curious.
Maby he had Asthma. All humans react differently to it. My neighbor played pro baseball with a 39 year old with no underlying
Health issues that told him he was in the fight of his life but has recovered. It was recently highlighted on channel 4. Others check in test positive and they send them home to self isolate because its not serious for them.

Im not listening to anyone exsept someone close to me that works in the covid command center at a major hospital. Will see soon...
One Trick Pony

Postby malonish » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:15 am

Imagine thinking with little(no) evidence that an anti-parasitic and an antibiotic would treat a virus. It's not like the small sample size study in France could have been wrong due to a natural recovery (85% rate) or the study in China finding no difference in recovery rate with those who did or didn't take it (but the takers got some sweet diarrhea weight cuts, impressive).

Stick to people with and M.D. and not those with B.S. (hah) economics degrees and fears of transcripts getting out. Heck even if you know a D.O. they are pretty good at factual / evidence-based treatments.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:05 am

malonish wrote:Imagine thinking with little(no) evidence that an anti-parasitic and an antibiotic would treat a virus. It's not like the small sample size study in France could have been wrong due to a natural recovery (85% rate) or the study in China finding no difference in recovery rate with those who did or didn't take it (but the takers got some sweet diarrhea weight cuts, impressive).

Stick to people with and M.D. and not those with B.S. (hah) economics degrees and fears of transcripts getting out. Heck even if you know a D.O. they are pretty good at factual / evidence-based treatments.

Don't try to reach them. There's no point. "footballdad" continues to post here just to get a rise, even though he doesn't support SMU and only ever came here because his son was rejected many, many years ago.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:36 pm

malonish wrote:Imagine thinking with little(no) evidence that an anti-parasitic and an antibiotic would treat a virus. It's not like the small sample size study in France could have been wrong due to a natural recovery (85% rate) or the study in China finding no difference in recovery rate with those who did or didn't take it (but the takers got some sweet diarrhea weight cuts, impressive).

Thousands of MD's prescribing daily and saving lives.

"or the study in China"......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Genius, frickin genius.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:41 pm

footballdad wrote:

Thousands of MD's prescribing daily and saving lives.

"or the study in China"......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Genius, frickin genius.

I wouldn't expect you to understand what I was talking about so I'm not surprised. Just because someone took it and recovered doesn't mean it had anything to do with it especially since the recovery rate is super high. If every person that recovered drank milk, would you call that a treatment? Or do smarter people know correlation doesn't equal a causation and you should defer to the experts that have actually studied science.

Now tell me, what is the mechanical function behind the anti parasitic and the antibiotic that will either destroy a virus or prevent the virus from attaching to human cells mr. scientistdad? If / when someone can answer that, it can be considered as an actual treatment. Just because a doc prescribed it and someone healed up in 2 to 4 weeks means less than zero. I can use smaller words if you need me to do so.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:58 pm

For those that care what the studies actually are and not any non expert telling you what to think (including myself)

You can find the list of current COVID trials here:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results? ... ype=&rslt=

The filters should be applied to those in the US. All but one are in progress and the completed trial was about testing.

This is a list of worldwide completed trials:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results? ... ype=&rslt=

The one trial with the drug from before is in there with ELI5 results explained here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhas ... 22b28b6092

The results:

CT scans showed there was little difference in the progression of the disease for those given the hydroxychloroquine treatment and those who received conventional care.

Of the thirty patients, only one patient progressed to severe stages of the disease — that patient had received hydroxychloroquine as part of their treatment.

93% of patients in the control group tested negative for Covid-19 after seven days compared to 86.7% of patients in the hydroxychloroquine treated group.

It took those in the control group between 1 and 4 days from the start of treatment before testing negative for the disease. It took those in the hydroxychloroquine treated group between 1 and 9 days from the start of treatment before testing negative.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:23 pm

JFC

I come here to get away from politics

Back to the question at hand:

I believe that we will have football in some way, shape or form in 2020. Now, does this whole COVID-19 thing affect us?

I'd argue we are better of than other teams because we return not only a large amount of production but at key positions and the most important members of our coaching staff, losing only the OC. With a 5th year senior QB and about 15 starters overall we are in a position to actually be better, comparatively speaking.

Whatch'all think?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:41 pm

Science is not political but some folks attempt to offer false statements and I'm here to correct them. It's a shame if saying "listen to medical experts" is somehow considered political. If not directed at me, I can point to the exact person who brought up a politician first :wink:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Yeah, boo hoo.

I stand by my claim: I didn't come to the "Thoughts on the 2020 football season" on the Ponyfans Football board to discuss COVID 19.

So can we please talk about the actual season? I actually think we may benefit from all this.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football