PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the 2020 season?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the 2020 season?

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:43 pm

leopold wrote:Yeah, boo hoo.

I stand by my claim: I didn't come to the "Thoughts on the 2020 football season" on the Ponyfans Football board to discuss COVID 19.

So can we please talk about the actual season? I actually think we may benefit from all this.

I’d be shocked if we have a season, or if students are even on campus this fall. Imagine the first positive Coronavirus case in a dorm, the place will empty out because the media is so gung-ho on hyping this up to be the Bubonic Plague so they can exert influence on a certain event in early November.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:27 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:

I stand by my claim: I didn't come to the "Thoughts on the 2020 football season" on the Ponyfans Football board to discuss COVID 19.

So can we please talk about the actual season? I actually think we may benefit from all this.

I’d be shocked if we have a season, or if students are even on campus this fall. Imagine the first positive Coronavirus case in a dorm, the place will empty out because the media is so gung-ho on hyping this up to be the Bubonic Plague so they can exert influence on a certain event in early November.

Hey that's politics. That's some shenanigans and won't be tolerated on this board :mrgreen:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:29 pm

malonish wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:

Hey that's politics. That's some shenanigans and won't be tolerated on this board :mrgreen:

I’m not wrong, though. It will happen. The media is hellbent on ruining everything we love to put an invalid in the Oval Office.
East Coast Mustang

Postby PNW_Stang » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 pm

At what point would it too late for teams though? Meaning, they would need to know by probably June whether they can report for workouts/get ready for fall camp, especially after they missed spring (did any schools get a lot of spring practices?).

I just think with regional outbreaks, if one teams gets it, they will shut it all down. And with 130 teams, and like 10k plus players, that’s bound to happen. Also will depend on what all universities do. Will they all be open in the Fall?

Best bet now is rapid tests available nationwide and an improved treatment. Don’t want to end up like the people that got a rushed swine flu vaccine.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am

PNW_Stang wrote:At what point would it too late for teams though? Meaning, they would need to know by probably June whether they can report for workouts/get ready for fall camp, especially after they missed spring (did any schools get a lot of spring practices?).

I just think with regional outbreaks, if one teams gets it, they will shut it all down. And with 130 teams, and like 10k plus players, that’s bound to happen. Also will depend on what all universities do. Will they all be open in the Fall?

Best bet now is rapid tests available nationwide and an improved treatment. Don’t want to end up like the people that got a rushed swine flu vaccine.

Agreed. Ohio State already canceled all classes through July I think....
East Coast Mustang

Postby malonish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:49 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I’m not wrong, though. It will happen. The media is hellbent on ruining everything we love to put an invalid in the Oval Office.

I'll bite.

Don't talk about big orange that way. He's trying so hard.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 am

I had a dream last night Bob sharp delivered my season tickets in person to the house.
I'm not kidding must be a sign.
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:09 am

According to the CDC Weekly Flu Report, the number of Influenza Related Illnesses dropped significantly for the second straight week, showing the positive impact of both social distancing and seasonality.

Keep your eye on Sweden. They have not implemented a lot of the measures of other countries. If they don't hit epidemic levels, most countries will most likely take an approach of relaxed rules and a focus on medication and local suppression in mid-summer.
JasonB

Postby White Helmet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 pm

JasonB wrote:According to the CDC Weekly Flu Report, the number of Influenza Related Illnesses dropped significantly for the second straight week, showing the positive impact of both social distancing and seasonality.

As a professional scientist, how does it show both distancing and seasonality? Those are not being controlled independently.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:52 pm

I'm not a scientist. Just hoping that by June, we get back to some semblance of normal. No hockey, NBA playoffs, no baseball is taking its toll. I'm reduced to watching Brockmier because it at least talks about baseball.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:22 pm

JasonB wrote:According to the CDC Weekly Flu Report, the number of Influenza Related Illnesses dropped significantly for the second straight week, showing the positive impact of both social distancing and seasonality.

Keep your eye on Sweden. They have not implemented a lot of the measures of other countries. If they don't hit epidemic levels, most countries will most likely take an approach of relaxed rules and a focus on medication and local suppression in mid-summer.

Jason, I seriously doubt 'Relaxed Rules' means allowing 50k-70k people to come together for a social event.

Given the ability of this virus to spread and given our inability to quickly and efficiently diagnose, I simply think decision makers will conclude the risks outweigh the benefits. And as someone else already posted, what are the contingency plans when a player inevitably tests positive for Corona? The NBA shut down when a Utah Jazz player tested positive. What if a Michigan player tests positive the day before the Ohio State game?
SoCal_Pony

Postby Roach » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Some of the talk has been about a season played in stadiums with no fans, so all of the revenue would be from TV rights.

Question 1: would teams that regularly have 80,000-100,000 be impacted more than those with smaller attendance?

Question 2: would that even be possible? I'd think the risk of players breathing, coughing, spitting, sweating each other would be worse than the risk of fans sitting next to each other ... just in lower number.

Thoughts?
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:38 am

Social distancing is working. Numbers are way lower than projections. As in 17,500 beds occupied at peak (the last two weeks in April) vs. 500 actual right now, projected to 700 at peak.

I still think we'll have a football season.

*Source: DallasCounty.org
ponyboy

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:54 am

ponyboy wrote:Social distancing is working. Numbers are way lower than projections. As in 17,500 beds occupied at peak (the last two weeks in April) vs. 500 actual right now, projected to 700 at peak.

I still think we'll have a football season.

*Source: DallasCounty.org
Don't believe anything coming from the hospitals unless you're inside of them.
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:36 pm

The whole world has been scammed.

They did all of this because SMU football was not practicing social distancing anymore.

Screw Fouci, the WHO, Fouci, Gates and the rest of these clowns.

I will not be taking any vaccine.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football