PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bearcat coming to the game at SMU in October

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bearcat coming to the game at SMU in October

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Cincy_Philosopher wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Philosopher? I studied the great subject at SMU.

For bass fishing, I like Purtis Creek, though it is a little bit of a drive from Dallas. (Maybe an hour).

Cuisine? Too much to mention here. Depends on what you like. For museums, there's a nice Spanish art collection at the Meadows Museum on campus, on the Boulevard. The Dallas Museum of Art is great. For something offbeat, see the MADI Museum in Dallas' Uptown area.

Speaking of which, the Boulevard is our tailgate/pregame scene. It's one of the best in the nation. Seriously. You're going to be very happy with that: https://smumustangs.com/sports/2016/6/1 ... evard.aspx

Awesome, thanks for the help! Also I guess I really wanna try Texas BBQ also I should point out we won’t have a car for this trip so we will be using the Dallas Metro I think it’s called DART as well as Uber

EastStang is right: Pecan Lodge for BBQ. It's the best in Dallas. I like Banditos for Tex Mex too. You'll get around fine with Uber and DART. Just don't try to use a Lime scooter in the University Park or Highland Park town limits, though they are allowed on the SMU campus

Yeah we have those scooters on campus and our barstool posts some hilarious antics the students do with the scoots and it even got my friend on the barstool once, here's some of what I'm talkin bout
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4-LPicB-II/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2KkV2oBain/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1OqWXVBea1/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqKh7WqFalC/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Boy8_hnBB5K/
Cincy_Philosopher

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 pm

While Pecan Lodge is really good, I think Terry Blacks is better. You won’t wait in line as long and it is personally the best BBQ I’ve ever had. BTW, both are in Deep Ellum which is much more lively these days than Uptown. Ton of bars and nightlife in Deep Ellum, just be careful and stay on the beaten path. Also, Lower Greenville, which is only three miles from campus, has a good mix of bars and restaurants.

Sorry, but I don’t think Dallas and fishing are a good match lol. Unless you REALLY like fishing, and like to drive it is probably not the best use of your time. If it your first time to Dallas, you should go to the JFK Memorial Plaza and Sixth Floor Museum.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:10 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:While Pecan Lodge is really good, I think Terry Blacks is better. You won’t wait in line as long and it is personally the best BBQ I’ve ever had. BTW, both are in Deep Ellum which is much more lively these days than Uptown. Ton of bars and nightlife in Deep Ellum, just be careful And stay on the beaten path. Also, Lower Greenville, which is only three miles from campus, has a good mix of bars and restaurants.

Sorry, but I don’t think Dallas and fishing are a good match lol. Unless you REALLY like fishing, and like to drive it is probably not the best use of your time. If it your first time to Dallas, you should go to the JFK Memorial Plaza and Sixth Floor Museum.

Thanks for the help, I'll def check out those things
Cincy_Philosopher

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Cincy_Philosopher wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
Cincy_Philosopher wrote:Now, all of this depends on if the season goes as planned, but my girlfriend and I are coming down to Dallas for 3 nights in October for the Cincinnati at SMU game (I go to Uni of Cincy and she goes to anOSU. We found cheap tickets with AA, it's early a redeye flight out to Dallas at like 6 AM, but roundtrip it's only 70$. Anyways, we'll be in Dallas for 3 nights so if the trip happens there are some questions that I'd appreciate if you all could help.
1. We are very into local cuisine, museums, fishing, and theme parks so what are the best things to do if we're here for 3 days? I'll be bringing two bass fishing rods with me.
2. We are staying right by the SMU campus and I'm wondering if there is good nightlife near SMU or if it would be better to just uber down to Dallas for the nightlife?
3. What is the pregame/tailgate scene like? A lot of drinking is my kind of tailgate
4. Best places to sit in the stadium?
5. Cool things to see on campus?

Thanks for any help on this and hopefully the season happens. If the season happens and we go on this trip then I'll buy a round of beer at a bar before the game.
Stay safe everyone!

1. Cant help you with fishing, but as for local cuisine, Dallas is probably best known for its Tex-Mex and BBQ. My personal favorites are Mi Cocina for Tex Mex and Pecan Lodge for BBQ. Another favorite local spot near campus is Javier’s which has more traditional Mexican cuisine. A Tex Mex spot just across the street from campus is Banditos which I also like.

2. There are some fun bars by SMU—Barley House, Milos, Green Elephant, and Ozonas are just across the expressway. There’s also a ton of bars in the Uptown area which is ~10 min from campus and an easy Uber ride.

3. Tailgate is awesome, everyone should be friendly and willing to offer you a drink.

4. Visitors usually sit on the east side behind the visitors bench. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a ticket either through SMU or on Stubhub if you’re not buying them through UC

5. The Bush Presidential Library is a stone’s throw from the stadium and is really well done in my opinion. Regardless of political persuasion, people I’ve taken have enjoyed it. The 9/11 exhibit is particularly well done.

This is perfect, thank you so much for the help. I really hope this trip is able to happen I love travelling to new cities for Football games and exploring all the cool local stuff.

You’re welcome—hope we’re playing games with fans in stadiums in late October and you can make it; hopefully it will be a preview of the AAC Championship Game.

That’s also homecoming weekend I believe, so should be a solid crowd. Good on you for booking your hotel in advance.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football