PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bearcat coming to the game at SMU in October

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bearcat coming to the game at SMU in October

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Now, all of this depends on if the season goes as planned, but my girlfriend and I are coming down to Dallas for 3 nights in October for the Cincinnati at SMU game (I go to Uni of Cincy and she goes to anOSU. We found cheap tickets with AA, it's early a redeye flight out to Dallas at like 6 AM, but roundtrip it's only 70$. Anyways, we'll be in Dallas for 3 nights so if the trip happens there are some questions that I'd appreciate if you all could help.
1. We are very into local cuisine, museums, fishing, and theme parks so what are the best things to do if we're here for 3 days? I'll be bringing two bass fishing rods with me.
2. We are staying right by the SMU campus and I'm wondering if there is good nightlife near SMU or if it would be better to just uber down to Dallas for the nightlife?
3. What is the pregame/tailgate scene like? A lot of drinking is my kind of tailgate
4. Best places to sit in the stadium?
5. Cool things to see on campus?

Thanks for any help on this and hopefully the season happens. If the season happens and we go on this trip then I'll buy a round of beer at a bar before the game.
Stay safe everyone!
Cincy_Philosopher

Re: Bearcat coming to the game at SMU in October

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:41 am

Philosopher? I studied the great subject at SMU.

For bass fishing, I like Purtis Creek, though it is a little bit of a drive from Dallas. (Maybe an hour).

Cuisine? Too much to mention here. Depends on what you like. For museums, there's a nice Spanish art collection at the Meadows Museum on campus, on the Boulevard. The Dallas Museum of Art is great. For something offbeat, see the MADI Museum in Dallas' Uptown area.

Speaking of which, the Boulevard is our tailgate/pregame scene. It's one of the best in the nation. Seriously. You're going to be very happy with that: https://smumustangs.com/sports/2016/6/1 ... evard.aspx
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 am

Cincy_Philosopher wrote:Now, all of this depends on if the season goes as planned, but my girlfriend and I are coming down to Dallas for 3 nights in October for the Cincinnati at SMU game (I go to Uni of Cincy and she goes to anOSU. We found cheap tickets with AA, it's early a redeye flight out to Dallas at like 6 AM, but roundtrip it's only 70$. Anyways, we'll be in Dallas for 3 nights so if the trip happens there are some questions that I'd appreciate if you all could help.
1. We are very into local cuisine, museums, fishing, and theme parks so what are the best things to do if we're here for 3 days? I'll be bringing two bass fishing rods with me.
2. We are staying right by the SMU campus and I'm wondering if there is good nightlife near SMU or if it would be better to just uber down to Dallas for the nightlife?
3. What is the pregame/tailgate scene like? A lot of drinking is my kind of tailgate

Thanks for any help on this and hopefully the season happens. If the season happens and we go on this trip then I'll buy a round of beer at a bar before the game.
Stay safe everyone!

DM me if you can. I am an SMU alum living in Ft. Thomas and I would be glad to talk to you about some of your questions. My wife and I are planning on driving down for the game.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:41 am

I got very excited thinking Lucille would be coming to Ford...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 am

ponyboy wrote:Philosopher? I studied the great subject at SMU.

For bass fishing, I like Purtis Creek, though it is a little bit of a drive from Dallas. (Maybe an hour).

Cuisine? Too much to mention here. Depends on what you like. For museums, there's a nice Spanish art collection at the Meadows Museum on campus, on the Boulevard. The Dallas Museum of Art is great. For something offbeat, see the MADI Museum in Dallas' Uptown area.

Speaking of which, the Boulevard is our tailgate/pregame scene. It's one of the best in the nation. Seriously. You're going to be very happy with that: https://smumustangs.com/sports/2016/6/1 ... evard.aspx

Awesome, thanks for the help! Also I guess I really wanna try Texas BBQ also I should point out we won’t have a car for this trip so we will be using the Dallas Metro I think it’s called DART as well as Uber
Cincy_Philosopher

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I got very excited thinking Lucille would be coming to Ford...

Oh I’m so sorry to disappoint, I know our mascot will be at the game though if that counts
Cincy_Philosopher

Postby Arkpony » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:15 pm

IN reading the tailgating rules, I noticed I have consistently violated the rule against "No liquor" being allowed. I am ashamed.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:22 pm

Arkpony wrote:IN reading the tailgating rules, I noticed I have consistently violated the rule against "No liquor" being allowed. I am ashamed.

So you can't have alcohol at the tailgates? Or is it like how they do it at Cincy where as long as you aren't being crazy and drinking out of plastic cups they don't bother yo
Cincy_Philosopher

Postby mrydel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:26 pm

You will be ok if you are of legal age.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:31 pm

mrydel wrote:You will be ok if you are of legal age.

That's perfect because I turn 21 in a few months
Cincy_Philosopher

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:21 pm

Cincy_Philosopher wrote:Now, all of this depends on if the season goes as planned, but my girlfriend and I are coming down to Dallas for 3 nights in October for the Cincinnati at SMU game (I go to Uni of Cincy and she goes to anOSU. We found cheap tickets with AA, it's early a redeye flight out to Dallas at like 6 AM, but roundtrip it's only 70$. Anyways, we'll be in Dallas for 3 nights so if the trip happens there are some questions that I'd appreciate if you all could help.

Stay safe everyone!

1. Cant help you with fishing, but as for local cuisine, Dallas is probably best known for its Tex-Mex and BBQ. My personal favorites are Mi Cocina for Tex Mex and Pecan Lodge for BBQ. Another favorite local spot near campus is Javier’s which has more traditional Mexican cuisine. A Tex Mex spot just across the street from campus is Banditos which I also like.

2. There are some fun bars by SMU—Barley House, Milos, Green Elephant, and Ozonas are just across the expressway. There’s also a ton of bars in the Uptown area which is ~10 min from campus and an easy Uber ride.

3. Tailgate is awesome, everyone should be friendly and willing to offer you a drink.

4. Visitors usually sit on the east side behind the visitors bench. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a ticket either through SMU or on Stubhub if you’re not buying them through UC

5. The Bush Presidential Library is a stone’s throw from the stadium and is really well done in my opinion. Regardless of political persuasion, people I’ve taken have enjoyed it. The 9/11 exhibit is particularly well done.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby leopold » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Stay safe everyone!

1. Double Tap on Meadows, which is on the campus and has the finest collection of Spanish Art in the world outside of Spain: https://meadowsmuseumdallas.org/ It's 50 yards away from the stadium and you will walk right by it on campus, so it's SUPER convenient.
Also, SMU has every possible cuisine within a half of mile of the school but I'd go to Whataburger just to say you went. It's just a fast food chain, but it's a thing and will be easy to get to, especially with Uber. Go late night after barhopping.
2. Second everything East Coast Mustang said - The nightlife around the campus is excellent safe, and within walking distance. Ozonas used to have a Build Your Own Bloody Mary bar going on Sunday mornings, should look into it: http://www.ozonagrill.com/page/home
3. The Boulevard may be the most under appreciated tailgating in the country. Right in the middle of campus, you won't be able to miss it.
4. The stadium only seats 32,000 and we don't fill it, which means there isn't a bad seat in the house and there aren't any fist-fights over seats. I have routinely bought the least expensive ticket and never been disappointed.
5. The Bush Library is okay, but Meadows is worth mentioning again. Also, McFarlin Auditorium has events throughout the year and may still book someone during your time in Dallas. I'd take a look later on in the year: https://www.smu.edu/BusinessFinance/Cam ... lin/Events
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Cincy_Philosopher wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Philosopher? I studied the great subject at SMU.

Awesome, thanks for the help! Also I guess I really wanna try Texas BBQ also I should point out we won’t have a car for this trip so we will be using the Dallas Metro I think it’s called DART as well as Uber

EastStang is right: Pecan Lodge for BBQ. It's the best in Dallas. I like Banditos for Tex Mex too. You'll get around fine with Uber and DART. Just don't try to use a Lime scooter in the University Park or Highland Park town limits, though they are allowed on the SMU campus
ponyboy

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:17 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:

Stay safe everyone!

1. Cant help you with fishing, but as for local cuisine, Dallas is probably best known for its Tex-Mex and BBQ. My personal favorites are Mi Cocina for Tex Mex and Pecan Lodge for BBQ. Another favorite local spot near campus is Javier’s which has more traditional Mexican cuisine. A Tex Mex spot just across the street from campus is Banditos which I also like.

2. There are some fun bars by SMU—Barley House, Milos, Green Elephant, and Ozonas are just across the expressway. There’s also a ton of bars in the Uptown area which is ~10 min from campus and an easy Uber ride.

3. Tailgate is awesome, everyone should be friendly and willing to offer you a drink.

4. Visitors usually sit on the east side behind the visitors bench. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a ticket either through SMU or on Stubhub if you’re not buying them through UC

5. The Bush Presidential Library is a stone’s throw from the stadium and is really well done in my opinion. Regardless of political persuasion, people I’ve taken have enjoyed it. The 9/11 exhibit is particularly well done.

This is perfect, thank you so much for the help. I really hope this trip is able to happen I love travelling to new cities for Football games and exploring all the cool local stuff.
Cincy_Philosopher

Postby Cincy_Philosopher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:19 pm

leopold wrote:

Stay safe everyone!

1. Double Tap on Meadows, which is on the campus and has the finest collection of Spanish Art in the world outside of Spain: https://meadowsmuseumdallas.org/ It's 50 yards away from the stadium and you will walk right by it on campus, so it's SUPER convenient.
Also, SMU has every possible cuisine within a half of mile of the school but I'd go to Whataburger just to say you went. It's just a fast food chain, but it's a thing and will be easy to get to, especially with Uber. Go late night after barhopping.
2. Second everything East Coast Mustang said - The nightlife around the campus is excellent safe, and within walking distance. Ozonas used to have a Build Your Own Bloody Mary bar going on Sunday mornings, should look into it: http://www.ozonagrill.com/page/home
3. The Boulevard may be the most under appreciated tailgating in the country. Right in the middle of campus, you won't be able to miss it.
4. The stadium only seats 32,000 and we don't fill it, which means there isn't a bad seat in the house and there aren't any fist-fights over seats. I have routinely bought the least expensive ticket and never been disappointed.
5. The Bush Library is okay, but Meadows is worth mentioning again. Also, McFarlin Auditorium has events throughout the year and may still book someone during your time in Dallas. I'd take a look later on in the year: https://www.smu.edu/BusinessFinance/Cam ... lin/Events

Thanks so much for the help and stay safe my friend
Cincy_Philosopher

Next

Return to Football