PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Our OOC every year should be...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Our OOC every year should be...

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 pm

This was brought up on 247 and I thought it was interesting. My choices, and I’m of the belief if you’re a G5 and want to be relevant, schedule up.

#1 TCU - every year in football and hoops. No debating. Our only true rival.
#2 rotate Baylor and TT with a home & home.
#3 rotate any of the regional D1 school from a lower conference- Texas St, UTSA, Rice or UNT
#4 rotate any FCS or a national P5 - my choices USC, Stanford, Michigan, Arkansas, Miami.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

Image
User avatar
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15530
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:01 am
Location: El Porto, CA 90266

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:This was brought up on 247 and I thought it was interesting. My choices, and I’m of the belief if you’re a G5 and want to be relevant, schedule up.

#1 TCU - every year in football and hoops. No debating. Our only true rival.
#2 rotate Baylor and TT with a home & home.
#3 rotate any of the regional D1 school from a lower conference- Texas St, UTSA, Rice or UNT
#4 rotate any FCS or a national P5 - my choices USC, Stanford, Michigan, Arkansas, Miami.


#1 agree as long as they are willing; the better we get, the more likely TCU will be to find a reason not to schedule us

#2 see # 1

#3 Agree and assume we will only be able to schedule these schools home/home given our same G5 status and our poor home attendance

#4 Agree to schedule FCS at Ford in years we have road games against # 3 schools and to schedule higher profile P5 schools when we have a # 3 opponent at home, but I don't like your Stanford & Miami choices. Road warrior/paycheck games with schools that draw 70k plus would be my preference so I like Michigan and Arkansas but I would look to mid level P5 schools with large followings that could write us a big check.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20550
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 pm

#2 I think if we started playing Baylor again it could develop back into a rivalry. Everyone hates them for obvious reasons. Close by and we have a ton of history. Makes a lot of sense. TT does too.

#3 I like the Rice option here. They have the money to be competitive and they have the history. I loved playing Rice. After TCU, Houston and I guess Baylor they are the next most obvious to be a legit rival.

BTW, our 2021 class is game changing. It could be top 30 or best case scenario top 20 in the nation. That will get TCU’s and Baylor’s attention quick fast in a hurry.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

Image
User avatar
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15530
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:01 am
Location: El Porto, CA 90266

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby EastStang » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:16 am

Rice ends up usually being an empty stadium. But I agree we should play them for historical reasons and presumably, they want to improve their lot. As far as P5 teams, definitely TCU. I like the idea of weaker P5 teams that we have a better chance of beating: Kentucky, Kansas, Vanderbilt, North Carolina, Colorado, Wash. St. All schools who would like a shot to recruit in Texas. Local G5 teams or FCS teams for one game is great. UNT, Texas St., A&M Commerce, Grambling, Prairie View or even an occasional game with BYU. As we get stronger, then you can become road warriors at Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, etc.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11043
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:11 am

TCU #1, it would be foolish for either side to cancel this game as it receives a lot of attention.
Arkansas, Baylor, Texas Tech in that order (H and H only) or any lower rung P5 out of state, H or A. #2
North Texas #3
Anyone else, FCS or FBS in Texas (Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, SFA, etc) preferably our first game. #4

LOL, that's kinda what we are doing now. With the 11 team AAC format, we should be able get games against top AAC teams at Ford every year.
AusTxPony
Heisman
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Tx, USA

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby peruna81 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:11 pm

OOC scheduling now is a look into a 3-5 year "format of the future". While Florida State ( and other "fallen giants") would be a great next year add, in a few years they might be back to the tyrant they used to be.

TCU H and H, all day...

TTU H and H, yep

BU H and H, yes...and run up the score on them...

NTSU-Yes

Rice-Meh, every now and then...

Gumby Tech, SHSU, TSU, -Big MEH...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:01 am
Location: central Texas

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby leopold » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:02 pm

I mean, yeah, that's fantastic, now go out and make that happen when Baylor and TT have no incentive to play us, especially as we get better.

Or better yet, go be the coach who has to line up against 3 Big XII teams and a UNT team that has shown the ability to put a strong team on the field every four years or so. When you start out the season 1-3 or, god forbid, 0-4 and finish the season 4-8 or 5-7 go try to hold onto your job.

Two mandates: TCU and no FCS schools.

Outside of that - just win baby.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
User avatar
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:37 pm

leopold wrote:Two mandates: TCU and no FCS schools.


Great in theory but the problem is that if you want to play the big boys (by that I mean any P5 team that can draw 70k, give their visitor a nice check but no return game), you are going to have to offset those road games with a home game against someone that won't demand a home/home series...and that leaves you with FCS schools. Stick to Southland schools that will actually bring a few fans, just like we have been doing for the most part.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20550
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby leopold » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:45 pm

That's baloney - I don't buy that for a second.

We could absolutely find a P5 school that would give us a 2-1, easily offsetting the 'no return game' of another P5 team. And the list of G5 schools willing to talk to us about an equal home-and-home series is exactly the same number as the Sunbelt, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, and UConn combined. (We genuinely need to talk to UConn about a football and basketball series).

Next theory.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
User avatar
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby PonySnob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:15 pm

leopold wrote:Or better yet, go be the coach who has to line up against 3 Big XII teams and a UNT team that has shown the ability to put a strong team on the field every four years or so. When you start out the season 1-3 or, god forbid, 0-4 and finish the season 4-8 or 5-7 go try to hold onto your job.

Two mandates: TCU and no FCS schools.

Outside of that - just win baby.


Was always fun starting 1-3 or 0-4 so many times since 1989!
Peruna is my mascot!
User avatar
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11495
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby PonySnob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:18 pm

PonySnob wrote:
leopold wrote:Or better yet, go be the coach who has to line up against 3 Big XII teams and a UNT team that has shown the ability to put a strong team on the field every four years or so. When you start out the season 1-3 or, god forbid, 0-4 and finish the season 4-8 or 5-7 go try to hold onto your job.

Two mandates: TCU and no FCS schools.

Outside of that - just win baby.


Was always fun starting 1-3 or 0-4 so many times since 1989!
Peruna is my mascot!
User avatar
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11495
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 am

leopold wrote:We could absolutely find a P5 school that would give us a 2-1

That works well. But hopefully we are smart enough to never fall for the trick where they get their two home games before we get ours.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15729
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 am

PonySnob wrote:Was always fun starting 1-3 or 0-4 so many times since 1989!

The worst years were when we started 1-11.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15729
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby leopold » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:34 am

God bless Arkansas fumbling in '95.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
User avatar
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:41 am

leopold wrote:That's baloney - I don't buy that for a second.

We could absolutely find a P5 school that would give us a 2-1, easily offsetting the 'no return game' of another P5 team. And the list of G5 schools willing to talk to us about an equal home-and-home series is exactly the same number as the Sunbelt, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, and UConn combined. (We genuinely need to talk to UConn about a football and basketball series).

Next theory.


O.K. great. Go ahead and make all of those 2 for 1 deals you want but good luck balancing your home/road schedule so you can have 6 home games every year without ever having to schedule FCS opponents...or maybe you would be willing to have 5 home games and 7 road games to make that work? SMU has scheduled 2 for 1 before (A$M comes to mind) but that kind of scheduling eventually catches up to you...do the math.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20550
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Next

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests