PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Our OOC every year should be...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Our OOC every year should be...

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:27 am

what are the already scheduled games for 2021 and 2022 seasons?

how far out are we already scheduled?

curious.

lets sign USC for the 2025 Rose Bowl
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby bubba pony » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:32 am

originaloverthehilltop1 wrote:what are the already scheduled games for 2021 and 2022 seasons?

how far out are we already scheduled?
l

try this and you can selected the year in the drop down

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2021/team/smu
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:32 am

Interesting future schedules have low tier P-5 in there. Maryland and Vandy. Sort of what I was proposing. We get a Big Ten opponent who is not OSU, PSU or Michigan. We get an SEC opponent who is not AL, or LSU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:18 am

What are your objectives?
- maximize revenue - this was our objective for years. Who cares if we start 1-3, the team is going to be bad so we need to schedule up and get revenue
- maximize record - get the most visibility as a program and get in the best bowl possible
- maximize national championship opportunity - schedule up

We should be in "maximize record" mode until we are actually winning conference championships. That means 1 P5 school and then 3 other games we will be significantly favored to win. A little upgrade from the Baylor model.

After we are consistently hitting ten wins and battling for a conference title, add a second P5 to the non-conference schedule to get into the national conversation. The TCU model.
JasonB

Postby Dukie » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:21 am

leopold wrote:That's baloney - I don't buy that for a second.

We could absolutely find a P5 school that would give us a 2-1, easily offsetting the 'no return game' of another P5 team. And the list of G5 schools willing to talk to us about an equal home-and-home series is exactly the same number as the Sunbelt, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, and UConn combined. (We genuinely need to talk to UConn about a football and basketball series).

Next theory.

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
leopold wrote:We could absolutely find a P5 school that would give us a 2-1

That works well. But hopefully we are smart enough to never fall for the trick where they get their two home games before we get ours.

I believe leopold was suggesting that SMU can find P5 teams that are willing to give SMU two home games to that P5 team's one--that's the only way a "2-for-1" would offset SMU going on the road for a paycheck game at the likes of Michigan.

I will look forward to hearing precisely which P5 school or schools is going to give us multiple games in Dallas for one at their place. Duke, even when it was the worst P5 team in the country, never did anything like that.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:27 pm

JasonB wrote:What are your objectives?
- maximize revenue - this was our objective for years. Who cares if we start 1-3, the team is going to be bad so we need to schedule up and get revenue
- maximize record - get the most visibility as a program and get in the best bowl possible
- maximize national championship opportunity - schedule up

We should be in "maximize record" mode until we are actually winning conference championships. That means 1 P5 school and then 3 other games we will be significantly favored to win. A little upgrade from the Baylor model.

After we are consistently hitting ten wins and battling for a conference title, add a second P5 to the non-conference schedule to get into the national conversation. The TCU model.

Most schedules are made 8 to 10 years ahead particularly with the schools who are in demand. You simply cannot sit around waiting for your team to hit mile stones before elevating your schedule. If SMU has the confidence that they can put a program together for a period of years then they should start an upgraded schedule right now. Personally, I would like to believe that our old SWC rivals who have tons of alums in Dallas and who bring regional interest are the teams to view for future schedules. I would love Baylor and TT to be regularly cycled and TCU annually. No reason OSU, Vanderbilt, Kansas, KSU, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico cannot be added to the regional interest teams.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Dukie wrote:

We could absolutely find a P5 school that would give us a 2-1, easily offsetting the 'no return game' of another P5 team. And the list of G5 schools willing to talk to us about an equal home-and-home series is exactly the same number as the Sunbelt, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, and UConn combined. (We genuinely need to talk to UConn about a football and basketball series).

Next theory.

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
leopold wrote:We could absolutely find a P5 school that would give us a 2-1

That works well. But hopefully we are smart enough to never fall for the trick where they get their two home games before we get ours.

I believe leopold was suggesting that SMU can find P5 teams that are willing to give SMU two home games to that P5 team's one--that's the only way a "2-for-1" would offset SMU going on the road for a paycheck game at the likes of Michigan.

I will look forward to hearing precisely which P5 school or schools is going to give us multiple games in Dallas for one at their place. Duke, even when it was the worst P5 team in the country, never did anything like that.

Right there with you. If Leopold can ABSOLUTELY find P5 teams willing to give SMU 2 for 1 deals, he needs to be the one making SMU's football schedule. I had no idea SMU had football revenue strong enough to make that happen.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 am

PoconoPony wrote:Most schedules are made 8 to 10 years ahead particularly with the schools who are in demand. You simply cannot sit around waiting for your team to hit mile stones before elevating your schedule. If SMU has the confidence that they can put a program together for a period of years then they should start an upgraded schedule right now. Personally, I would like to believe that our old SWC rivals who have tons of alums in Dallas and who bring regional interest are the teams to view for future schedules. I would love Baylor and TT to be regularly cycled and TCU annually. No reason OSU, Vanderbilt, Kansas, KSU, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico cannot be added to the regional interest teams.

There is a lot of value on this list. I'd strike New Mexico, and if SDSU stays good, add them. And BYU. Especially BYU, which has to fill a whole lot of its schedule each year and would probably love to play in Texas.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Hilltopper » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:56 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:#3 I like the Rice option here. They have the money to be competitive and they have the history. I loved playing Rice. After TCU, Houston and I guess Baylor they are the next most obvious to be a legit rival.

I'm with you 100% on this. Small, private academics-driven school. Certainly a winnable game, as the teams now stand, but also capable of beating us if we don't show up. Within driving distance. Looooooong history.

Plus, maybe we can find another Granson or Abercrumbia who wants to play for SMU.

There's no reason not to play them.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:57 pm

There is every reason NOT to play Rice...they bring zero fans and no one is interested in that game in the Metroplex. If we beat them, we’re supposed to beat them, if we lose, it’s horrible. Their current commitment to football leaves a lot to be desired, to put it charitably. And we already play a game in Houston every other year for our alumni down there.

If I were in charge, it would be:
1. TCU
2. UNT
3. Another P5 (Baylor, Tech, Vandy, Maryland, Ole Miss, UCLA, etc) or a good G5 (BYU, Boise)
4. FCS
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:14 am

Would be nice to continue the TCU series forever and for regional interest, home/home series with Baylor or TTech would be great but the better SMU gets, the more difficult those deals will be to make. If we can't play 2 Big XII schools, I'd go after SEC schools like Missou, Mississippi, Vanderbilt or even S. Carolina to see if we could get home/deals with any of them. We used to get Arkansas but now that they play A$M in Dallas and SMU is no longer a patsy, they might not agree.

Could also make a run at Kansas, Northwestern or Duke for home/home deals. I seem to recall years ago we had a deal with Duke that fell through and I remember TCU playing Northwestern back in the Tomlinson years when they were just starting to make a name for themselves.
Charleston Pony

Postby leopold » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:

Next theory.

Right there with you. If Leopold can ABSOLUTELY find P5 teams willing to give SMU 2 for 1 deals, he needs to be the one making SMU's football schedule. I had no idea SMU had football revenue strong enough to make that happen.

Ouch. That one didn't age well. Even I had to go back and reread what I wrote. Definitely need to work on my math and pay better attention. Also, I apologize for my tone.

But look, I stand by my basic points - if we actually expect the team to start to get better, and I think we all do, we have no reason playing FCS schools, or at least not to the extent we have them listed. You want to play them one once every 5 years, fine. But we have one on the schedule multiple times in the upcoming years, and for what? I mean, we have absolutely no business playing Houston Baptist - Did we at least pick up the phone and try Rice, or UTEP, or TSU again? This isn't going to help us if we start to trend upward, and god forbid we lose to them like we did JMU.

So, yeah, my math is obviously worthless but I maintain we have no business playing FCS schools this frequently and that it's going to hurt us in the long run.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:52 pm

leopold wrote:Ouch. That one didn't age well. Even I had to go back and reread what I wrote. Definitely need to work on my math and pay better attention. Also, I apologize for my tone.

But look, I stand by my basic points - if we actually expect the team to start to get better, and I think we all do, we have no reason playing FCS schools, or at least not to the extent we have them listed. You want to play them one once every 5 years, fine. But we have one on the schedule multiple times in the upcoming years, and for what? I mean, we have absolutely no business playing Houston Baptist - Did we at least pick up the phone and try Rice, or UTEP, or TSU again? This isn't going to help us if we start to trend upward, and god forbid we lose to them like we did JMU.

So, yeah, my math is obviously worthless but I maintain we have no business playing FCS schools this frequently and that it's going to hurt us in the long run.

Yeah, no worries. I wish SMU could do what you proposed. Probably need to stay away from money-payout games against the Michigans anyway, for now, and focus on gettable home-and-homes with lower- and mid-tier P5s.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 pm

AusTxPony wrote:TCU #1, it would be foolish for either side to cancel this game as it receives a lot of attention.
Arkansas, Baylor, Texas Tech in that order (H and H only) or any lower rung P5 out of state, H or A. #2
North Texas #3
Anyone else, FCS or FBS in Texas (Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, SFA, etc) preferably our first game. #4

LOL, that's kinda what we are doing now. With the 11 team AAC format, we should be able get games against top AAC teams at Ford every year.

Was going to post this myself!
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:14 pm

leopold wrote:God bless Arkansas fumbling in '95.

Fast forward to around the 5:10 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wf1vGfym8I
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football