PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Zach Abercrumbia: Waiting his chance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Zach Abercrumbia: Waiting his chance

Postby PonyPride » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:22 am

As the NFL Draft approaches, players across the country are awaiting their fates. Among those players is SMU defensive tackle Zach Abercrumbia, who became a key member of the 10-3 SMU Mustangs' defense in his lone season on the Hilltop. Abercrumbia visited with PonyFans.com to discuss his preparation for his football future and what he could offer to teams at the next level.

Waiting his chance
Defensive tackle Zach Abercrumbia hopes to parlay season at SMU into NFL job

This time of year can be an anxious one for football players across the country who have played their last college games, and are trying to sort out what their futures hold. Some will get selected in the NFL Draft — the 2020 version starts with its first round Thursday night and run through Saturday — but many will not.
For those who don’t get drafted, the waiting game begins. Will an NFL team offer a free agent contract? Does an eventual trip to the NFL require a stint in the Canadian Football League?

SMU has several graduating seniors hoping to make the leap from the Mustangs to the professional ranks. Most analysts seem to think wide receiver James Proché is a lock to get drafted. Beyond that, which Mustangs have the best chances to play after college depends on which expert is asked.

Every player has followed a different path from beginning player to NFL hopeful. One of the Mustangs’ more unusual is that of defensive tackle Zach Abercrumbia.

After four seasons at Rice and armed with a degree in Sport Management, Abercrumbia transferred to SMU, in large part to be near his and his girlfriend’s family. For the second time in five years, he had to learn a new defense, and get used to new coaches, teammates and terminology.

“In my first year at Rice, I can remember going in bright-eyed, with big hopes, big aspirations and big dreams,” Abercrumbia said. “I had just come out of the recruiting process, getting so much attention, and then you get to college where you experience so many things you’re not accustomed to — I just wanted to dive in and see what it’s all about.

“That was the same feeling I had when I got to SMU. I was back home, but it was a new team, new coaches, a new defense.

To read this story in its entirety, CLICK HERE.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Zach Abercrumbia: Waiting his chance

Postby SMUguy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:08 pm

I wasn't that excited when we got him from Rice, because it's Rice, but he turned out to be really good. We're going to miss him. I think he's a free agent, but I hope he makes it.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football