PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chicargo " Saturday in the Park"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chicargo " Saturday in the Park"

Postby BUS » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 am

I'm with the Dukie on a few points. What puzzles me is the disproportionate deaths of blacks. I don't believe the BLA BLA of not enough money spent is us. If you go to other countries the same percentages are shown. And these countries the race issue is mute.

So, is this something genetic like Sickle cell? Across the globe blacks seem more susceptible. Why. Hope to see you all on Saturdays!
BUS

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:39 am

BUS wrote:I'm with the Dukie on a few points. What puzzles me is the disproportionate deaths of blacks. I don't believe the BLA BLA of not enough money spent is us. If you go to other countries the same percentages are shown. And these countries the race issue is mute.

So, is this something genetic like Sickle cell? Across the globe blacks seem more susceptible. Why. Hope to see you all on Saturdays!

If you look at the areas of NYC that have been most heavily infected, they are poor areas of NYC with a high number of residents per household and lots of neighbors in close proximity. Any disease with a high transmission rate is going to be most prevalent in areas with high congestion. In the US, that typically means low income areas, which unfortunately also means a high percentage of minorities.

It makes this situation really challenging, because low income folks are the most exposed to the disease and have the largest percentage of underlying health conditions; at the same time, they also have the biggest need to earn revenue, their income streams are most impacted by shutting down interaction, and they are most likely to work while sick out of necessity and spread the disease more.
JasonB

Postby Dukie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:53 pm

JasonB wrote:If you look at the areas of NYC that have been most heavily infected, they are poor areas of NYC with a high number of residents per household and lots of neighbors in close proximity. Any disease with a high transmission rate is going to be most prevalent in areas with high congestion. In the US, that typically means low income areas, which unfortunately also means a high percentage of minorities.

It makes this situation really challenging, because low income folks are the most exposed to the disease and have the largest percentage of underlying health conditions; at the same time, they also have the biggest need to earn revenue, their income streams are most impacted by shutting down interaction, and they are most likely to work while sick out of necessity and spread the disease more.

Relatedly, an NYC doc with a lot of first-hand experience of COVID-19 says nearly half of the Bronx has antibodies (not sure how he knows that, actually) and it's time to start reopening NYC. Not sure he'd say the same about Dallas, but still.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-worke ... pening-up/

Meanwhile, Baylor says they are opening this fall, apparently business as usual.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/27 ... tes-texas/
Dukie
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:52 pm

Dukie wrote:
JasonB wrote:If you look at the areas of NYC that have been most heavily infected, they are poor areas of NYC with a high number of residents per household and lots of neighbors in close proximity. Any disease with a high transmission rate is going to be most prevalent in areas with high congestion. In the US, that typically means low income areas, which unfortunately also means a high percentage of minorities.

Relatedly, an NYC doc with a lot of first-hand experience of COVID-19 says nearly half of the Bronx has antibodies (not sure how he knows that, actually) and it's time to start reopening NYC. Not sure he'd say the same about Dallas, but still.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-worke ... pening-up/

Meanwhile, Baylor says they are opening this fall, apparently business as usual.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/27 ... tes-texas/
They're going to kick him out of the global vaccination club wait and see.
One Trick Pony

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 pm

Baylor administration has always thought and behaved as if their students practice 6 feet of social distancing at all times. The students, not so much.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby BUS » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:37 am

Looks to be a genetic thing not a racist thing.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/co ... cid=msn360

God's Love to all and be Prudent. We want football later.
BUS

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:43 pm

BUS wrote:I'm with the Dukie on a few points. What puzzles me is the disproportionate deaths of blacks. I don't believe the BLA BLA of not enough money spent is us. If you go to other countries the same percentages are shown. And these countries the race issue is mute.

When New Orleans blew up the first reporting was obesity and inherited cardio vascular disease. That got squashed pretty fast as the African American community objected, but I believe there is substance to this when you look at matters like traditional diet foods in NO then mix in other genetics issues. Other national news pieces have also highlighter this issue, but have turned political blaming government for not having been more responsive to personal health matters and better education in the AA community.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football