PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Scrimmage thoughts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Scrimmage thoughts

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:08 pm

What's up with the passing game? We have all these alleged stud WRs, but either the QBs can't get them the ball, or the WRs can't catch. Any thoughts?

Keylon Kicade should start. Kris Briggs, Doak Walker Award candidate though he may be, is big and strong enough to be a strong fullback, with solid blocking, and terrific receiving and running ability out of the backfield. I don't want to take away anything from Briggs, because he's done yoeman's work since he's been here, but to quote Steve Davis in the Dallas Morning News the other day, Kincade looks like a difference-maker.

Was Kevin Aldridge there last night?

I love McMurtray. Maybe we'll go from everyone having a heart attack with each FG attempt last year to making that the strongest part of the offense. (And how hard is it for McDearman while they sort out the kicking battle -- he has to be equally efficient holding for a left-footed kicked (McMurtray) and a righty (Crowley).

Does anyone else think D.D. Lee's injury might be more serious than the coaches are letting on?

Stud newcomer of the year: Melvin Williams. If he keeps growing at his current rate, he'll be about 6-6, 330+ when he's done. Hello, NFL Draft.

With coaches being in love with raw numbers and measurements, how long before Richard Bartel is lining up at QB for the Ponies?

Comeback player of the year: Chris Cunningham. Not that you need a "comeback" after 84 catches in two years and a spot on the school's lists of all-time leaders in receptions and receiving yards after just two seasons, but he was so electric as a freshman that many though we had the second coming of Santana Moss (??) on our hands. But that silly move to the slot last year, plus his bad knee, made him less productive than many of us expected. From what I hear, he's now healthy and stronger than ever, and back on the outside where he belongs. Comet's numbers for this year? 65 catches, 1,250 yards, 11 touchdowns. And he'll return one kick for a score, if the coaches put him back there.

There's been a lot written and said about how this is Sterling Harris' year of validation, that he's in terrific shape, has lost enough weight that he actually can move his feet, that he realizes how to approach things and has gotten back his nasty attitude that he had when he was punching around high school defenders like a speed bag in the gym. So why do I have a lingering feeling that he could be playing through the pain and participating in scrimmages? Is he really soft, or will this in fact be the year he justifies the hype?

One player who got some serious ink during recruiting was RB Earl Morris. Has he even seen the field? Do the coaches have any idea who this guy is? Or is he hurt?
Horseshoe
All-American

Re: Scrimmage thoughts

Postby click » Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:12 pm

Horseshoe,I think it has been a long summer.The defense knows every play before it is run,especially the 1st D,they seem to move the ball well against the players who are not as familar with the offense.I say lets take a wait and see with the offense.If the O-line can give Kelan the time I think he will do great.The problem as I see it,is our opponents will show alot of odd fronts and blitzes to confuse the inexperenced line.
click
Scout Team

Re: Scrimmage thoughts

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:26 pm

I think the passing game will work if Luker gets decent protection, simple as that.

Melvin Williams has become a biggin. Too bad we dont have Pratt now, I'd start feeling pretty good about the defense with a little more depth.

I think the news about DD Lee has been he got his foot step on and bruised badly.. supposed to practice Sunday. Dont have any reason to think thats not the case.

At least we know the potential is there for the kicking game. Last year, it seemed there was no hope to make field goals over 25 yards. That should help alot.

Return to Football