PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Football Thoughts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Football Thoughts

Postby leopold » Sat May 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Bored and wanna talk about actual football.

- Can anyone explain to me why TCU is the overwhelming favorite in our game so far, and I mean before they even picked up Evans? I get it, the #1 RB in the country is a game changer, but ESPN had TCU as having an 80% chance to beat us before he signed. This is after we beat them last year at their place, had the better team, and, if the NFL Draft is to believed, lost a helluva lot more than we did over the off-season. What am I missing? If I was Dykes I'd be posting this up all over the bulletin board.

- Looking at the defense, I have to believe we are going to be more talented and experienced squad that takes the field this year than we were last year, it's just a question of depth and putting it together. The D-line was deep but wasn't overwhelming and it looks like we have brought in more talented JUCO's and transfers, we get Moore back, and Stephens can take the next step as a CB, but it looks like depth may be a problem. We improved marginally last year, but does anybody else see us taking a large step forward this year, especially if we can avoid injury?

- It feels a little top-heavy at the WR position. I knew when we signed Sonny that we were going to load up on QB's and WR's, but we are about as deep as we can be at that position. Honestly, we are deep and talented in the group, but I would trade one or two of them for a DL or CB right now, or possibly a TE. With as many as we have, and as good as they could be, it wouldn't shock me to see us go to a 5 WR set every once in a while, especially if a RB or TE gets hurt.

- Speaking of RB's, I know we are looking at some transfers but suppose we don't land one, because it's projected that Speights is going to Notre Dame, and we have to go with what we have. Are Bentley and McDaniels going to be enough?

- Can someone give me a quick rundown on how scholarships apply to transfers? Do they count against the year they come out of HS or the year the school picks them up, or what? How many do we have to give this late in the year?

- As far as I can tell our last few needs are RB, K/P, and some defensive depth. Following 247 I'm not seeing a number of possibilities outside of the K from Texas and Speights at Stanford, and they've got him going to Notre Dame. Anyone I'm missing? There are still multiple RB's on the board from just A&M, are we looking at anybody?

- I'm excited about the TE James but he's been hurt twice in his career so far. Any word on his physical state right now?

- Any thoughts on a break-out player in terms of someone who hasn't been mentioned yet?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Football Thoughts

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun May 17, 2020 1:03 am

Agree about RB being a major concern if they don’t get a big transfer. Also have Tamerick but the coaches never seemed high on him. I assume TJ isn’t ready to Completely carry the load. Hope Bentley has had a huge offseason.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby jpe747 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:48 am

RB and K/P are definitely needs. However, with our two great senior RB's last year, there wasn't much time for the sideline guys to get in. There are a number of younger players listed as RB's on the roster. I would be very surprised if the coaches are not working on a couple of transfers. If that doesn't happen, the coaches might look to moving a LB or WR, etc. As for kickers, certainly a couple of new kickers will tryout. If I was sitting on a bench at another school and thought I had a shot at starting at SMU I would have to consider making the move; especially if I was from the Dallas/North Texas area and might get a transfer weaver. In addition, a good high school kicker who wants to play, can be the starting kicker at a major college program next year. Nonetheless, I think it is going to be an exciting year. I can't wait for the new Mustang season.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 am

I just want to have a football season but fear a start/stop scenario. We have so many talented seniors and I just hope SMU football can build off last year's success. Can't imagine what happens if the season starts and is shut down early. What happens to the seniors? Do they get another year? What about incoming FR recruits? Are scholarship limits adjusted to account for the additional numbers or are coaches left with some really tough roster management decisions? What about transfers who are supposed to sit a year? Will they become eligible as soon as play resumes?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun May 17, 2020 8:21 am

The shut down was to flatten the curve, not to guarantee safety. It was so harmful there is almost no scenario that is closes down again once reopened, particularly after hospitals are more prepared and the treatments shorten and eliminate hospital stays and reduce mortality.
gostangs

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am

It only took four posts!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby leopold » Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 am

Right???

God forbid we actually talk about possibly the best team we have coming back in the last 35 years...
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Sun May 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Dilly, dilly for leopld.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby JasonB » Sun May 17, 2020 8:17 pm

leopold wrote:Right???

God forbid we actually talk about possibly the best team we have coming back in the last 35 years...

I'll play... ++, +, Neutral, -, -- scale

WR: ++ last year before Roberson got hurt, then went to +. I thin there is a good chance we are ++ this year.
QB: ++ last year, ++ this year
RB: + last year. Neutral this year, but potential for better. Need to see in the fall.
TE: + last year. Potential for ++ this year.
OL: Last year: +, N, +, -, N. This year I think you start with +, +, +, N, N, with the potential of higher upside.

Overall offensively, I think we will be a bit better. More consistent. On outsider would look at the loss at RB and Proche and think we will get worse.

DL: DE last year + because of Scott. Enough players played that I would put us at N right now, with potential for better. DT last year overall. Lost a lot, but Williams and maturity I think we are at worst N, more probably a +. So, overall DL is going from + to N, with upside potential.

LB: MLB last year + when Moore was healthy. Once hurt, we were + against run - against the pass. Moore coming back puts us + again. OLB: Last year N with Robinson, - when hurt. This year N unless someone takes a big step. Star/Fox/Whatever: Nelson was a + (++ in blitz, N or - in pass coverage which is why he didn't get drafted). I'll put N for now for Jones/Denbow, but that could have bigger upside. Overall, the group is a N unless Moore stays healthy and two players step up.

CB: When healthy, Stephens and Johnson were probably +, but Johnson played hurt a lot and dropped back the second half and the backups are below average. So overall, maybe an N, and - at times. Coming into this year, N because of the depth situation, but there is room for Johnson and Stephens to be significantly better and backups to be better.

S: Denbow - and Clemons +, so you average out at N if you are generous. Replace both this year, so you almost have to assume a - going into camp, but there is a lot of potential here to be at least N and maybe even +.

So, defensively, from an outsider's persepctive, you lost your best DE, your best DT, your Star who made plays, and your safeties. So, an outsider should assume we are going to take a massive step back defensively. There is a lot of potential upside defensively, but we won't really know until we see everyone at camp.

K/P: -- last year. We hope the transfer at least gets us to N.

So, while I share your optimism coming into the season, because I really like our newcomers as well as the kids growing into their roles... I understand why outsiders look at the team and see the offense taking a small step back and the defense getting considerably worse. Hence the 7 win season predictions and the odds against us beating TCU.

I would wait until the second week of fall camp before I place my bets.
JasonB

Postby HubbaHubba » Sun May 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Our biggest need is K/P. Giving your opponent the short field over and over and over again is a recipe for disaster. Last year it made what should have been blow outs into close games and close games into losses. We focus on QB, WR and RB as key positions but bad K/P has as much, if not more, impact.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon May 18, 2020 12:29 am

How many teams do we play with new coaches or new offensive schemes? Without spring ball those teams are at a major disadvantage. Imagine how bad Arkansas will be - I assume their new coach is running a completely different offense than Morris.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon May 18, 2020 6:28 am

PNW_Stang wrote:How many teams do we play with new coaches or new offensive schemes? Without spring ball those teams are at a major disadvantage. Imagine how bad Arkansas will be - I assume their new coach is running a completely different offense than Morris.

Not to keep bringing up Arkansas, but can they really be worse than last year's team that appeared to have quit on the coaching staff?

I'm a little more bullish on this year's SMU team than some of those 7-5 predictions, but don't see another 10 win season. I'd be pleased with 8 or 9 wins, depending on a bowl W or L.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon May 18, 2020 8:13 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:How many teams do we play with new coaches or new offensive schemes? Without spring ball those teams are at a major disadvantage. Imagine how bad Arkansas will be - I assume their new coach is running a completely different offense than Morris.

Not to keep bringing up Arkansas, but can they really be worse than last year's team that appeared to have quit on the coaching staff?

I'm a little more bullish on this year's SMU team than some of those 7-5 predictions, but don't see another 10 win season. I'd be pleased with 8 or 9 wins, depending on a bowl W or L.
The over/under for Arkansas wins this year is 3.5. They are picked to win 3 out of 4 non conference (losing to Norte Dame), and then may or may not win one SEC game. New coach will at least bring a strong positive and big morale attitude increase.

Sorry to bring up Arkansas but that is the only news I get here.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby leopold » Mon May 18, 2020 10:54 am

PNW_Stang wrote:How many teams do we play with new coaches or new offensive schemes? Without spring ball those teams are at a major disadvantage.

That’s true but look at our defense. We’re rebuilding the line and moving players around in the secondary - we desperately need the practice. I’ve been critical of scheduling the FCS schools but I have to acknowledge since we don’t have spring practice that a couple of buy games at the beginning of the season are critical to the defense getting up and running.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 pm

The schedule certainly works in our favor this year. Let's just hope those RBs can perform with an improved Oline. We'll have to score on them every time and keep the ball on offense. Love to get to 10 again and beat Memphis finally.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football